Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:34 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Exactly. To be a survivor usually implies one has gone through something really tough. I don't know about you, but I'd just as soon not go through the tough stuff as I've had quite enough.
In my case it was terrorist attacks. Surviving something like that puts you in sort of a different world for a while, (to make it very, very simple), and there is residual PTSD, which will probably never go away but doesn't affect my ability to live my life normally. It was just a weird experience in those early days to constantly be told how lucky I was. Not easy to explain, but there was such a disconnect between us and everyone else.

Don't get me wrong--this is not self-pity--there are people who have suffered through much, much worse. I already told the young poster on here who has survived cancer that I'd rather go through a terrorist attack than cancer. I had one bad day in 1993 and one REALLY bad day in 2001, but that doesn't compare to what a soldier in combat has to deal with day in and day out. Or the daily lives of some people in other places on this planet.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:35 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
hate to blow your fantasy but thier are hollocaust survivors ( or survivors of the rwandan genocide ) who dont consider themselves incredibly luck

its silly believing that you make your own luck , if you made your own luck , it would not be luck by definition as luck is a fortunate or unfortunate outcome which someone plays no part in instigating , 99.9% of people the world over will go to work today and return home safely where as .1% will get struck by a falling item from a tall building , get struck by lightening , get dragged down an alley way and murdered , the amount of inconcievable outcomes which cannot be anticipated are countless
I believe you are 100% wrong about any of those survivors thinking they are unlucky. Please, show me one and prove me wrong.

We can argue all day about "luck", but the reality is that those things you are describing are called "life". And everyone is at the mercy of it. Some people get cancer. Some people get murdered. Some people are born to wealthy parents. But most unhappy people choose to absolve themselves of all responsibility for their lives. They blame everyone else, and spend their lives wallowing in self pity. They also think that everyone that is happy has a good life. Usually, those people just make a choice to be happy.

Here's another name for you: Helen Keller. Had the worst luck ever when it came to "life", yet chose to overcome it and lived a happy life.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Your first paragraph really isn't true. Brangelina's kids come to mind. They were plucked out of billions and their legacy will be far different than many children who suffer, are abused, etc through no fault of their own. You don't "make your own luck." What's that saying? Something about preparation meeting opportunity? Sure, we're responsible for the preparation, but not everyone gets the same opportunity.

Regarding your second, do you actually KNOW any holocaust survivors? Are you of one of the groups who was victimized? (And it wasn't just the Jews). Before I would make a statement like that I'd actually have to KNOW and talk with a survivor who knows other survivors to gauge how they really feel. I don't think anyone who is a holocaust survivor would rank as one of the luckiest in the world, as to go through that and survive would have been a horror. Then there is that thing survivor guilt some experience, like the one person on a plane who is not killed in a jet crash. So I would not begin to presume how others who have gone through experiences I have not really feel, unless a group of them told me themselves.
You are obviously a person that sees the worst in every situation. So I'd make the leap that you would think those people would not think themselves lucky. I'd also guess that you don't know anyone that's survived. I do. I know someone that survived the horrific plane crash in Iowa in 1989. They had some emotional trauma, but considered themselves FAR luckier than those that perished. They live their lives to reflect that.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:42 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
From what I have seen in my life..those with the most seem to see their lives as half empty...a constant dysthymia...."Eyore Syndrome".

Those with the least see their lives as half full...and full of promise.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:53 AM

399 posts, read 581,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
From what I have seen in my life..those with the most seem to see their lives as half empty...a constant dysthymia...."Eyore Syndrome".

Those with the least see their lives as half full...and full of promise.
"It's only when you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything."

Old 05-03-2012, 12:22 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In my case it was terrorist attacks. Surviving something like that puts you in sort of a different world for a while, (to make it very, very simple), and there is residual PTSD, which will probably never go away but doesn't affect my ability to live my life normally. It was just a weird experience in those early days to constantly be told how lucky I was. Not easy to explain, but there was such a disconnect between us and everyone else.

Don't get me wrong--this is not self-pity--there are people who have suffered through much, much worse. I already told the young poster on here who has survived cancer that I'd rather go through a terrorist attack than cancer. I had one bad day in 1993 and one REALLY bad day in 2001, but that doesn't compare to what a soldier in combat has to deal with day in and day out. Or the daily lives of some people in other places on this planet.
you were in the twin towers in new york in 1993 and sept 11th 2001 ?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't feel like being kids of the rich and famous is all that lucky...I worked at a very exclusive boarding school for rich kids...never saw more dysfunction in my life...and that is saying a lot...the tuition started at $75,000 a year. I worked with 12 year old's who had anorexia...at age 12!!

In the end...life is what you make it....money does not equate happiness...seen lots of rich miserable folks.
" life is what you make it " until someone ( or some event ) comes along and wrecks it on you in some shape or form , cliches have little to offer anyone

Old 05-03-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I believe you are 100% wrong about any of those survivors thinking they are unlucky. Please, show me one and prove me wrong.

We can argue all day about "luck", but the reality is that those things you are describing are called "life". And everyone is at the mercy of it. Some people get cancer. Some people get murdered. Some people are born to wealthy parents. But most unhappy people choose to absolve themselves of all responsibility for their lives. They blame everyone else, and spend their lives wallowing in self pity. They also think that everyone that is happy has a good life. Usually, those people just make a choice to be happy.

Here's another name for you: Helen Keller. Had the worst luck ever when it came to "life", yet chose to overcome it and lived a happy life.
your post ranges from idiotic ( yeah i keep a hollocaust survivor in my garrage , handy for proving points ) to obtuse , what do you know about the psychology of countless people as to why they react a particular way to countless sets of circumstances

Old 05-03-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You are obviously a person that sees the worst in every situation. So I'd make the leap that you would think those people would not think themselves lucky. I'd also guess that you don't know anyone that's survived. I do. I know someone that survived the horrific plane crash in Iowa in 1989. They had some emotional trauma, but considered themselves FAR luckier than those that perished. They live their lives to reflect that.

you have presumptiousness coming out your ears

Old 05-03-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
you have presumptiousness coming out your ears
And you obviously blame all the bad in your life on "luck". To each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health