Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:18 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post

Not 3rd world, not the ghetto , but when i read that most of Miami is ghetto..kind of disappoints me..

I wanna be somewhere that is affordable, I seen the prices of rent in Miami beach, 1500 for 600 sq feet? are you kidding me? Where is somewhere nice, that doesnt have prices/ or crimes through the roof? Like I said I am a businessman so I have money, but I'm not willing to spend it all in one day either. Somewhere comfortable to live in, and easy to access Miami Beach, even if it's not in Miami beach. I wouldnt mind living in a condo downtown I guess? I dont know how bad that would be.....
So you want the bling and the flash without putting up the cash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 09:27 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Bam.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:32 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Just search Miami,FL on google maps, and drag the little guy anywhere, most of the houses and neighborhoods look like they live in poverty, and aren't very well taken care of. I don't know if I am searching all the wrong places, but the vast majority I've seen is ghetto, with the exception of some areas of course.
If you are just look at the city of Miami just the city limits then a lot will look run down. It is not all gehtto though you are obviously looking in the wrong places and are having difficult reading what people are telling you.
List of nice areas: Anywhere on the barrier islands. There are even some cheaper areas of Miami Beach which are not very nice but crime is low and its on Miami Beach.
Coral Gables, Downtown Miami, Coconut Grove, Miami Shores, Aventura, Sunny Isles, Miami East of US-1 all the Southern Suburbs, Miami Lakes, Doral.
You must be looking in one spot, one area.

As for prices Downtown Miami loft 700sq feet will be around $1000-$1200 a month and it is 10mins from Miami Beach. Even if you far out in the suburbs like Miami Lakes or Coral Gables you not more then 25-30mins from Miami Beach by car if traffic is not bad. Miami is a very thin area with the beach on one side and the everglades on the other.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:51 PM

73 posts, read 113,744 times
Quote:
Just search Miami,FL on google maps, and drag the little guy anywhere, most of the houses and neighborhoods look like they live in poverty, and aren't very well taken care of. I don't know if I am searching all the wrong places, but the vast majority I've seen is ghetto, with the exception of some areas of course.
As usual, all the sympathizers are trying to gloss over the reality that is Miami.....
Yes, I would say that 80% of Miami-Dade is the ghetto that you see in google maps. The nice parts, east of 1, are really nice. But be prepared to shell out lots of dinero to live in one of the nice cities (South Beach, Aventura, Coral Gables, Sunny Isles, Golden Beach).
I would say Miami is fun to party and visit, but you will probably have a better time living in San Diego. Those videos and what you see on CSI Miami, is not what your day to day life is going to look like. Especially if you arrive here unemployed with no family or friends. Parties are cool, but you better know the right people to get in and have LOTS of money to burn. Girls are hot, but you better have LOTS of money to 'buy' their affection.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:20 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
Miami is a beautiful city, but you are going to pay for it as it is very expensive to live here and hopefully you can stand the high humidity as this is very cumbersome.

You definitely want to stay out of Overtown as this is a rough area. A lot of this area has been razed to make way for new development that has not yet come to fruition.

Last edited by perry335654; 06-02-2011 at 02:53 PM..

Old 06-02-2011, 03:16 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
No I'm wanting to be smart and use my money wisely out there. That's what smart people do, you obviously wouldn't know that. Also I want to live somewhere "decent" that doesn't have high crimes through the roof, you know, and area without the risk of getting shot. You can have nice things without spending an arm and a leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLandLarry View Post
As usual, all the sympathizers are trying to gloss over the reality that is Miami.....
Yes, I would say that 80% of Miami-Dade is the ghetto that you see in google maps. The nice parts, east of 1, are really nice. But be prepared to shell out lots of dinero to live in one of the nice cities (South Beach, Aventura, Coral Gables, Sunny Isles, Golden Beach).
I would say Miami is fun to party and visit, but you will probably have a better time living in San Diego. Those videos and what you see on CSI Miami, is not what your day to day life is going to look like. Especially if you arrive here unemployed with no family or friends. Parties are cool, but you better know the right people to get in and have LOTS of money to burn. Girls are hot, but you better have LOTS of money to 'buy' their affection.

Well said, appreciate the input

Old 06-02-2011, 03:35 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Quote:
No I'm wanting to be smart and use my money wisely out there. That's what smart people do, you obviously wouldn't know that. Also I want to live somewhere "decent" that doesn't have high crimes through the roof, you know, and area without the risk of getting shot. You can have nice things without spending an arm and a leg.

If you were so smart you would know South Florida is one of the most expensive real estate markets in the country.

It's interesting to me that a businessman like yourself didn't do more research before asking such silly questions and thinking Miami Beach is the only nice part of Miami.

I would also think you would know better than to take advice from Larry there... Golden Beach? Really? If that's the basis on what other areas are judged off, we all must be living in extreme ghettos.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:04 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
Quote:
Nice things without expending an arm and a leg? hummmmmmmm... You can live in a decent neighborhood in West Kendall (is gonna cost you), but you will have to consider the fact that it's going to be far from the Miami glamorous life... you might as well live in Broward.

In Dade, the West Ends and the East Ends are the best parts of Miami, anything in the middle (excluding the not affordable for just anybody Coral Gables) is not so appealing to the eye.

BUT, are you sure you can afford to live in Miami?

Old 06-02-2011, 04:05 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
Quote:

After reading this, Miami is not your place.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:31 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,383 times
After doing my research, it came down to, would I rather live good in Miami, or would I rather live GREAT in San Diego? I think the answer is obvious, Miami for vacations and to party. San Diego to have a quality life, and have great scenary and have the best out of life San Diego>Miami..

Thanks for the help though everyone.

Last edited by mt971x; 06-02-2011 at 05:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami