Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:27 AM

652 posts, read 1,653,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
It's ridiculous that some people resort to rioting just because something didn't turn out how they wanted it to. Not to mention that there are those who just use the opportunity to loot stores.
and they end up burning down their own neighborhoods, sheer stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Why would they invade Cuba. Zimmerman is not even half Cuban. He father is white american and his mother is Peruvian.
I agree it was a stupid comment, but I would rather them invade Cuba than riot on our streets.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
GZ is hiding deception from the point when the dispatcher told him not to follow, but the dispatcher said we don't NEED you to do that. he did NOT state stop. I think GZ hearing that still took it upon himself to at least scout the area out and THEN walk back to car.
Zimmerman should not have followed of confronted Trayvon who was not committing any illegal act,

I heard that the cops always say that you should not follow the person, if they tell you to follow them they can be sued if anything goes wrong. It doesn't mean that you can't follow a person if you want to.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:37 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
This dude is good!

Old 07-12-2013, 10:39 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
The prosecution just laid out the laws concerning the Neighborhood Watch program and said they are only to report to authorities and not confront suspects. Zimmy is a wanna be cop and will eventually pay for his sheer stupidity.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:09 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times
I will say it again, the following is NOT the issue, it is not illegal. The issue here is self defense, and GZ had to have a reasonable fear of bodily harm or death.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:42 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
The prosecution just laid out the laws concerning the Neighborhood Watch program and said they are only to report to authorities and not confront suspects. Zimmy is a wanna be cop and will eventually pay for his sheer stupidity.
The prosecution did nothing of the sort. Did you listen carefully?

There is no such law.

However, there is sort of a code or teaching, like, say, Neighborhood Watch Training Course 101: stay in the car and do not follow. However, there is no such statute in Florida (except, I suppose, in the case of stalking, which is more than just following).

In any case, I agree that it was a stupid thing to do, and so does the homeowner's association: my understanding is that the association has already settled a civil law suit with the Martin family for $1M.

And that is where that question belongs, in civil court.

After that, however, in terms of criminal law, the rest is shrouded in doubt.

The jury will decide, but also, in case of a guilty verdict, expect appeals that could last for years.

I highly doubt a second-degree murder conviction.

If a manslaughter with firearm convinction, which is 50-50 right now by my estimate, my guess is that the judge will give the maximum 30-year prison sentence, but later, during the appeals process, when the public's attention moves on to other things, in about two years the sentence will be reduced to the minimum 9.25 years, then, who knows, perhaps a bit shorter for good behavior or somesuch exception.

We'll see, maybe as early as today or this weekend.

Good Luck!

Old 07-12-2013, 11:55 AM

49 posts, read 80,320 times
If anything, Obama should be notify that the jury has a verdict and that he should go live on T.V. to tell people despite how verdict end up riots will not justifying anything. After all, he open his big mouth in the first place about TM.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:46 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Neighborhood watch has guidelines, rules NOT LAWS. I think it is pathetic that they had to use the neighborhood watch laws and so how weak the state's case is.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:50 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianExec View Post
Superdome. Documented rapes and roberies. Looting in New Orleans. So your saying because one guy is beat down by cops (which happens every day) that is justifcation for burning a city and to the ground from the Rodney incident? Not including all the violence committed against non black motorists. Those individuals hurt more people then those cops that day. You spineless libs throw out racism whenever suits you.
Perhaps you have a reading comprehension problem! Please re-read my post because I used the term "Understandable" not "justifiable".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami