Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:44 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,700,285 times

Advertisements

My predictions. Global warming will increase the sea levels and Miami will be under water, actually every land South of Okeechobee lake will be gone. Either that, or the salt water creeping into the canals and other sources of sweet water will create a crisis in the already shrinking water supply, causing a great migration of Miamians to Orlando. The future is bleak for Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 05:04 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,138,702 times
I think Miami will be more Anglo. I forsee many immigrants being priced out and moving to more affordable places around the state and country. I think over time, probably not in 10 years, but in 20there will be more parks, nature awareness and improvements to infrastructure. I also think the poorer folks will live way west on the edge of the Everglades out by Krome...

I think there will be more salt water intrusion into the wells in South Miami Dade...so permanent water restrictions....

I also think Miami won't be so trendy in 10 years, the cool spots are always changing, so I think Miami will have run that cycle by then, so I am thinking prices will come more in line and then the economy will be able to grow and hopefully wages will creep up somewhat.

Miami has a lot going for it, but it will take more than 10 years for the inevitable changes...so don't try to buy now and resell thinking you will hit gold down the road...I think prices values here will correct and rise WAY down the road...

The population will stagnate also with the lack of available land...

The Redlands will turn into the next Kendall...

East Little Havana will be the next hot spot....while the fringe communities out west will be the new ghettos.

Those are my predictions.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:21 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
^^^The salt water intrusion already happened last year in two cities in broward county last year. Miami-Dade is already in permanent water restrictions. Sadly I think you are right about the Redlands becoming part of Kendall.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:34 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,138,702 times
I didn't know Broward had the salt walter intrusion in their wells also, yikes!

I think this problem will get worse and be one of the most serious, immediate issues facing the population in the comming decade.

I know we have water restrictions now, but I think they will get much more harsh with reduced lawn watering to once a week, same with washing cars, etc. Which would be a good thing, too many homes and business water even during the rainy season daily, even DURING the rain lol. I think tougher watering restrictions would be a good thing and probably necessary to save the underground acquifer from additional salt water intrusion.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:14 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,425,406 times
Hopes for Miami:

Improvement of public transportation. (Expansion of the Metro Rail. Would be nice if it worked its way into Broward County. Build a monorail, maybe ).

Less emphasis on expansion/sprawl (Not much space left anyways). Encourage businesses and people to live in the City proper. (Downtown areas especially)

Clear Overtown, Liberty City and ghettos close to the city of Miami (displace the residents to Goulds, Hialeah or somewhere already in decline). Build affordable mixed use developments in those areas, encourage young professionals, small businesses, and various entertainment/venues to these area.

Would be nice to diversify the place a bit, culturally. (Attract different cultures, besides Latinos. I hope people don't take this the wrong way . I know many will (don't really care).). One can't deny that's what we hear most of in Miami. (Attract Americans, Asians, Europeans, Africans here, or something)

Find ways to diversify the local economy. (Not rely solely on Tourism, Real Estate and Latin American economies as our local economy).

Diversify the architecture. Tired of seeing orange clay roofs, and pink homes when I'm here..

Have a real Metropolis, not a deadzone after 5 pm...(speaking of Downtown Miami).
A vibrant local economy.
Better wages for people.
Cheaper real estate.
And agree that we can all speak one language. (English).

Old 03-02-2010, 02:45 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post

Would be nice to diversify the place a bit, culturally. (Attract different cultures, besides Latinos. ... Attract Americans, Asians, Europeans, Africans here, or something)

Find ways to diversify the local economy. (Not rely solely on Tourism, Real Estate and Latin American economies as our local economy).

A vibrant local economy.

And agree that we can all speak one language. (English).
Before the Europeans discovered Florida, it was inhabited by indigenous tribes who fished and grew corn and traded with other indigenous tribes in the Mississippi region. A relatively hostile environment, especially southern Florida, the population was relatively small.

During the colonial period, when the Spanish, French and British vied for control of the Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean region, the capital of Florida was Saint Augustine and various places in the panhandle.

Florida became a US state in 1819. Southern Florida was not really developed in the US sense until the advent of the railroad towards the end of the century.

Administratively and politically, then, Miami is part of the US, first of all, and Florida.

In that context, Miami, like the rest of the US, needs sane leadership and sane monetary and fiscal policies. The stability of the US system is the biggest risk to Miami (and everywhere else in the US) in the next 10-20 years.

Geographically, Miami is part of the Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean region which extends as far south as Ecuador and northern Brazil.

By many measures, Brazil is Miami's and Florida's number one trading partner.

It is worth recalling that many destinations in the Caribbean, Central and even South America are closer to Miami than are many destinations in the US such as Los Angeles.

Tourism and retirees from the northern US generate financial flows and stimulate transport, construction and consumption, but produce nothing. Besides that, especially in the past 20 years or so, economic relations with the Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean region, which produces food and clothing, among other things, are the primary source of diversification of the local economy (see in parallel the decline in certain southern and central Florida agricultural production - also see above relations with Brazil). This would be even more the case if the suburban sprawl that is Kendall extends to Redlands (in the interests of a vibrant local economy, it would be better if Redlands remains a mainly agricultural sub-region).

In this context, Miami will continue to need stable and prosperous relations with its Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean region partners. By the way, now that the Cold War is over, the embargo against Cuba is like shooting oneself in the foot, almost literally (unless the US still subtly fears some kind of secession).

Besides the tourism/retiree and related businesses, trade, and agriculture, Miami in principle could diversify further into manufacturing, perhaps high tech medical and telecommunications manufacturing, or biochemical technology for both medicine and agriculture, i.e. biofuels (again, in this sense, if Redlands succumbs to urban sprawl, Miami would become even more dependent on trade with Central/South America).

To be sure, further diversification and prosperous relations with Europeans, Africans and Asians, roughly in that order, would help.

It is absolutely in Miami's interest to remain bilingual and provide bilingual education. On that basis, being able to do business in third and fourth languages becomes that much easier.

Better local transportation would be highly desirable, especially a system that links by rail the airport and Miami Beach with downtown/Brickell. Also an extension west deep into Kendall.

Let's hope to avoid a major hurricane and that property insurance rates come down.

Despite incompetent government interference, market forces have brought real estate buy prices and taxes back into line. The $25,000 increase in the homestead exemption, though modest, showed great restraint and is probably about right.

At the Florida level, let's hope they do not tinker with the constitution and keep Florida a no income tax state, it is good for small business, the backbone of a well-diversified economy, locally, nationally, globally.

The challenge is to educate people on how to gainfully participate in Miami's multi-faceted competitive advantages.

Short of that, a well-equipped and skilled police force to protect the relatively few that do against the rabble that doesn't.

Last edited by bale002; 03-02-2010 at 03:50 AM..

Old 03-02-2010, 06:39 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I didn't know Broward had the salt walter intrusion in their wells also, yikes!

I think this problem will get worse and be one of the most serious, immediate issues facing the population in the comming decade.

I know we have water restrictions now, but I think they will get much more harsh with reduced lawn watering to once a week, same with washing cars, etc. Which would be a good thing, too many homes and business water even during the rainy season daily, even DURING the rain lol. I think tougher watering restrictions would be a good thing and probably necessary to save the underground acquifer from additional salt water intrusion.
I heard that the reason we are under water restrictions has more to with the lake than lack of rain. Meaning they have kept the water level in the lake at a lower level for years just because the walls around the lake need to be fixed. They are worried if we have a hurricane that hits the lake that we may have another disaster flood around the lake like we had many years ago. So I wonder if the walls were fixed, the lake then kept at a higher level would we still have restrictions?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:12 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,064,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I also think the poorer folks will live way west on the edge of the Everglades out by Krome...
Do you realize that most middle class residents live on the West side of South Florida? We are talking about hundreds of thousands of people. All the way from Parkland, Weston, Pembroke Pines, West Miramar, Doral, West Kendall and Redlands? A major change like that won't take place in 10 or 20 years. These people can't afford 800k+ homes on the East Side of I95 or US1 and they will not move to a condo unless they have to. At least not in the next 10 or 20 years. The roads are under the construction all the time for a reason.

My predictions for the next 20 years:
- All empty homes/condos will be occupied as population continues to increase and more people move from rural places to major cities.

-We will have more water restrictions and probably the water bill will go up(it's way too cheap in my opinion)

- More nuclear energy will be needed as population grows and electric cars become the norm. I guess our legacy in this planet will remain for millions of years in the form of nuclear waste.

My personal wishes

Hope trade with Latin America, Brazil and Haiti increases so the whole continent has to depend less on the Chinese and the Middle East(for energy to transport the products). Hope Chavez dies soon finally Venezuela can become a friendly nation again. This will be great for South Florida.

Last edited by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥; 03-02-2010 at 07:25 AM..

Old 03-02-2010, 07:53 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,489,429 times
My dream for Mia,
every rooftop covered with solar panels,
making Mia "the solar power capital of USA "...

Or a gov-biz ambitious partnership to make Mia the "electric car capital of USA''...

Combined with electric vehicles of all kinds,bikes,boats,PWCs...

Everything running on electricity,solar & nukie produced...

Old 03-02-2010, 02:54 PM

208 posts, read 507,433 times
Lets drill for oil in the Gulf of Mexico and become energy independent. Plus all the jobs it will create in South Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami