Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:48 AM

16 posts, read 45,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADE191 View Post
what does anyone know about these places

Clarkston, New Haven, Chesterfield, Rochester Hills, Clinton Township, Sterling Heights, Romulus, Shelby Township, Macomb,

what are some other slow moving communities? retirement communities?
Clarkston is nice, but too far from the city for my likings. I'm a true east sider, and I enjoy being no more than 20 minutes from the water.

Chesterfield is so-so...

Rochester Hills is very nice, the taxes are a little higher than most places (Oakland County) , but it's by far the nicest city of the group that you have listed.

Romulus is south of Detroit, and kind of trashy. You don't want to live that close to the airport.

Clinton Township is getting nasty. My grandparents lived there on 16 Mile Rd, and Moravian for 20 years. It's a great location, but I wouldn't live there.

Sterling Heights is a zoom too much traffic, and congestion for me.

Shelby isn't bad, Northen Shelby is quite nice.

Macomb is nice aswell, but very congested.

I reccomend Romeo, MI it's just north by about 8 miles. Small quaint town that isn't too small. It's right on the end of the rural neighborhoods, so it quiet. Crime is pretty much non-existent. Great schools in fact my younger sister is graduating from Romeo High School this month. I live just south of Romeo in Washington Twp.

Washington Twp is another great area. I live off of Mound Rd. I'm close to the city, close to the country, close to the water. Crime is miniscule. People are friendly, yet not nosy. You're not living right on top of your neighbor. I love living up here.

Armada is another nice town. It's a little more country, but a great town with good schools. I have friends who liver there, and have children that go to school there. They have nothing but great things to say about Armada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 11:02 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,884,529 times
The best small city in Michigan is Marquette...in the U.P. hands down it would meet the requirements for less crime,safe living,less drugs, and in general a better ,cleaner,friendlier, way of life. Placed in the top 10, then voted number one city in the Country to visit and to live, by the Preservation Society among many other groups. Check out Marquette County, the States largest, and among the most promising for future growth, due in part to our natural resources, tourism , and clean environment.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:23 AM

61 posts, read 185,587 times
Could I ask why MI? Forget the winters, the economy is brutal! According to a recent issue of Forbes, FOUR of America's worst cities for job outlook belong in MI. They are:
  • Grand Rapids
  • Flint
  • Holland
  • Lansing
Of the four, I think Holland is the most serene. Peaceful, gorgeous(during Tulip season), but NO work. I lived in Muskegon for a few years and I had to commute through Holland all the way to Grand Haven for an evening shift. Not pretty at night when snow is on the roads. It was roughly a 20 mi trip one way. Holland is family oriented I would say. But like the masses are saying in this thread, anywhere in the U.P. would be nice. I would stay away from the northeast side of the state, though. Flint, etc. Crime, crime, and oppression.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:07 PM

13 posts, read 33,123 times
Smile Safe places in michigan.

Well, I have been to Trader Joe's in Ann Arbor. It is very nice there. It makes me wonder why the rest of Michigan is struggling so bad. Also, the southeastern portion of Michigan is nice also. Like Lambertville and Bedford. Then you get closer to Toledo... Of course the hot tourist areas of Alpena, Traverse City are good places too. However, you are going to pay for your location.. I mean, it problably costs a pretty penny to live there.. Good luck with your search!

Old 05-12-2010, 03:53 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,884,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherwaddles View Post
Well, I have been to Trader Joe's in Ann Arbor. It is very nice there. It makes me wonder why the rest of Michigan is struggling so bad. Also, the southeastern portion of Michigan is nice also. Like Lambertville and Bedford. Then you get closer to Toledo... Of course the hot tourist areas of Alpena, Traverse City are good places too. However, you are going to pay for your location.. I mean, it problably costs a pretty penny to live there.. Good luck with your search!
Not sure you can call Alpena a " hot tourist area". Living cost I am told are quite reasonable in Alpena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan