Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you served or fought in any of these? (Multiple Choice)
World War II (1939-1945) 5 2.51%
Korean War (1950-53) 7 3.52%
Vietnam War (1960-1975) 57 28.64%
Bay of Pigs Invasion (1961) 3 1.51%
Grenada Intervention (1983) 12 6.03%
Panama Invasion (1989) 11 5.53%
Persian Gulf War (1990-1991) 34 17.09%
Bosnia and Herzegovina Intervention (1995-96) 12 6.03%
Iraq Invasion (2003-) 31 15.58%
Military Service (No Engagement) 62 31.16%
Military Service (Unusual Engagement) 31 15.58%
Afghanistan 2001 - "Operation Enduring Freedom" (added110224) 4 2.01%
U.S. Army 5 2.51%
U.S. Air Force 2 1.01%
U.S. Navy 4 2.01%
U.S. Marine Corps 1 0.50%
U.S. Coast Guard 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:26 PM

942 posts, read 1,393,058 times

Advertisements

I enlisted in the Air Force to avoid being drafted into the Army and being sent to Vietnam. I ended up being stationed in Japan, Germany and Alaska. I am glad I joined at 19 ,mostly now because my military and my civil service time were combined and I earned my Federal Pension with my health Insurance for life. I really don't think Wars are the answer to much of anything although I can see the necessity of World War II.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 07:47 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times

I served 1963-66 Vietnam era in the Army Signal Corp Ft. Monmouth NJ, New Equipment Assistance Element on the AN/UAS-4 team airborne Infrared Surveillance on the Grumman OV-1 Mohawk aircraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post

I found some of the oldie photos and thought I’d share them online. I was able to scan and get these copied over to digital. This was an interesting project, now I’ve got a bigger job getting everything copied over someday.

When I was 2 yrs old in the Navy but I couldn’t get the knack of doing buttons.

Later in life I heard the call of the Army where they had zippers instead of buttons. (Life was good again)

Old 01-31-2008, 09:47 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,363,333 times
My hubster recently retired after 22 plus years in the Army. I am so proud of him! His level of integrety, compassion, stamina and work ethic never fails to amaze me each day.

Thank you to all our veterans for your service. You are truly appreciated.

Last edited by tet tea; 01-31-2008 at 10:03 PM..

Old 02-01-2008, 07:30 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
Thanks for the visuals, AksarbeN, lionking and 6 FOOT 3.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:01 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,761 times
For those of you were involved in or are interested in becoming Airborne, Airborne Rangers and Special Forces this link will show you the U.S. Army's Pride: The Airborne Museum near Ft Bragg, in Fayetteville, NC.

It is a bittersweet visit for some of us and I don't know anyone who has come away from a visit here that was dissatisfied.

Airborne*&*Special Operations Museum - Fayetteville, NC

Old 02-01-2008, 06:28 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Been looking at that photo album of mine again,found more photos I think I'll share of my dad soon.It may seem strange that I would share personal photos of my dad to people I don't really know on the net but in a way you,specially you who have been in probably relate and appreciate them more than some of my friends or family.

My dad has had a huge impact in my life,in some ways we are very different yet many of the good traits I have (I think I have) are from him.I remember as a kid at a football game the anthem begain and I was sitting down,he straightened that up real quick,and now that I'm older I understand the value and honor of addressing the anthem and flag that represents our way of life and that many have sacrificed and will continue to do so to preserve that freedom.

While I have never worn a uniform,in a way I wear the flag,Constitution and Bill of Rights with me everyday,certainly in spirit.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Been looking at that photo album of mine again,found more photos I think I'll share of my dad soon.It may seem strange that I would share personal photos of my dad to people I don't really know on the net but in a way you,specially you who have been in probably relate and appreciate them more than some of my friends or family.

My dad has had a huge impact in my life,in some ways we are very different yet many of the good traits I have (I think I have) are from him.I remember as a kid at a football game the anthem began and I was sitting down,he straightened that up real quick,and now that I'm older I understand the value and honor of addressing the anthem and flag that represents our way of life and that many have sacrificed and will continue to do so to preserve that freedom.

While I have never worn a uniform,in a way I wear the flag,Constitution and Bill of Rights with me everyday,certainly in spirit.

Your Dad sure taught you some great lessons!!! YOU are the type of American that makes me feel proud to have served!

Old 02-02-2008, 09:18 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post

My dad has had a huge impact in my life,in some ways we are very different yet many of the good traits I have (I think I have) are from him.I remember as a kid at a football game the anthem begain and I was sitting down,he straightened that up real quick,and now that I'm older I understand the value and honor of addressing the anthem and flag that represents our way of life and that many have sacrificed and will continue to do so to preserve that freedom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBatz View Post

Your Dad sure taught you some great lessons!!! YOU are the type of American that makes me feel proud to have served!
I agree ~ my same thoughts ,,,,

Old 02-02-2008, 09:37 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
I served in the Womens Army Corp. (Wac), in 1960-1962..This was before they merged in with the RA in 1978 with the passing of the ERA..I was a medic, most of the time and had a secondary mos as a clerk..I joined 2 months before graduating high school for family reasons..I passed the GED in order to get accepted and managed to get some college credits in while on active duty, and took advantage of the GI bill for some more college after discharge..Met my H while stationed in an old Army hospital in Phoenixville Pa, just outside of Philadelphia..I also trained as a medic at what was then known as "Ft Sam Houston" in San Antonio, Texas..I believe it is just called Brooks Army Medical Center now..Back then women could apply for discharge if they chose after marriage..That is what I did after being married for six months..My H was sent to the Panama Canal zone just 10 days after we got married..and was gone for a year..I almost forgot what he looked like , because we had only known each other for a few weeks

Old 02-02-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I served in the Womens Army Corp. (Wac), in 1960-1962..This was before they merged in with the RA in 1978 with the passing of the ERA..I was a medic, most of the time and had a secondary mos as a clerk..I joined 2 months before graduating high school for family reasons..I passed the GED in order to get accepted and managed to get some college credits in while on active duty, and took advantage of the GI bill for some more college after discharge..Met my H while stationed in an old Army hospital in Phoenixville Pa, just outside of Philadelphia..I also trained as a medic at what was then known as "Ft Sam Houston" in San Antonio, Texas..I believe it is just called Brooks Army Medical Center now..Back then women could apply for discharge if they chose after marriage..That is what I did after being married for six months..My H was sent to the Panama Canal zone just 10 days after we got married..and was gone for a year..I almost forgot what he looked like , because we had only known each other for a few weeks
Sometimes we forget to salute the WACs and all the women who served. I owe my life to a quick thing WAC Nurse and have kept in touch with her ever since that fateful day when we met and I lived to go on!.

I eventually met and married a Nurse so I guess that profession is a sacred one to me...which gives me cause to think about a thread about Nurses (if there isn't one in C-D)...onthe road please take note
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues