Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 09:51 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,291 times

Advertisements

If you’re (strongly) considering med school, being trained as a med lab tech would really give you a leg up down the road. You’ll get all kinds of letters of recommend esp. if you’re a good lab tech, show a strong desire to provide good service and it’ll help if you can get stationed at the larger hospitals. In my day, that was Lackland’s Wilford Hall- at it’s prime, it was a 1,000 bed teaching facility. I worked in stat chemistry on 11-7 and hung out in the ER when it was slow. Worth.every.minute to me and I had a stellar reputation esp with the pediatric staff and the critical care units. They provided the majority of my workload being in stat chemistry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 07:07 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petechris View Post
I was hoping to go to medical school, my parents are well off so they would be able to pay for it so I wouldnt really "need" the military to help me with that (it would look great on an application to get in though) , but Im also on the fence about that, id be fine with either medical school or graduate studies in bio and go into research or something of the sort. another question is, given my situation, would it be more lucrative and worth it for me to forget military and just go straight to grad school or something and go work, or is the AF a good option as I would preferablly start as an officer since i have a BS. Also one of the reasons why I liked AF is they seemed more technical oriented and I felt that I would be better suited there. In all honesty I want to make a solid career (hopefully breaking into 6 figures) but then I also want to experience something different, I dont know if I just want to go straight from schooling back to schooling.

Also @theoldnorthstate, are there any reasons why specifically it wont be worth, im just in dark on whether the military will really help my future financially as well as progress my career, or would it be better for me to just skip military and go straight into more schooling.
Don't listen to these people that are telling you not to do so. You can still go to medical school and have the military pay for it. Sure, you will have to give them 10 years of your life (I believe), but I wouldn't be surprised if you perform well, if you get a great selection of residencies.

Take a look at some of the jobs that are available and then speak to an officer recruiter. Officer pay along with BAH is plenty, particularly from what I've observed from officers when I was in the military.

I think it is a great place to launch your career, especially if you are undecided about what you want to do.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petechris View Post
Alright, so my best bet would be to probably skip it then. I think im still going to meet/email the recruiter but thatll probably just be for more informational purposes. Another thing I would like to ask, I know medical school is difficult to get into and it has really been one of my goals, would it be good for me to also join AF in hopes of having a better admissions chance into a military medical school?

Also, one thing thats not related to my "career" that captivates me about the military is just the idea to be able to travel and get an experience no civilian has ever really had before along with training and hopefully working with some cool technology and etc.
Exactly. I think it's a great idea.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:19 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Even if pay isn't that high, expenses are near zero... In the end of your contract, you'll end up with a sizable savings. Obviously, if you have other career options, you might chose them over military career. But generally speaking, military service is a very positive thing to have in your resume.
The pay is quite high if you stay long enough. I'm enlisted and I make $80K a year. Officers more so, with enough time and seniority and rank. That's not millionaire status, but it's higher than the average income. Between my enlisted spouse, we'll pulling in $150K a year, large portion tax free, pay zero for medical/dental, and we have a non-contributory retirement pension worth around $4,000,000 combined for the family, free college, and two of our children have their college paid for by our GI Bills. I'd say we hit the financial security jackpot in life. JOIN

Old 01-09-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
The pay is quite high if you stay long enough. I'm enlisted and I make $80K a year. Officers more so, with enough time and seniority and rank. That's not millionaire status, but it's higher than the average income. Between my enlisted spouse, we'll pulling in $150K a year, large portion tax free, pay zero for medical/dental, and we have a non-contributory retirement pension worth around $4,000,000 combined for the family, free college, and two of our children have their college paid for by our GI Bills. I'd say we hit the financial security jackpot in life. JOIN
I agree.

In a few years, people will realize how good military people have it, but things are already changing.

The retirement gets worse and worse. It's a product of a short-sighted and self-serving society, eating up the entire world, and then taking a big you know what on the next generation.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:14 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
To be an Air Force doctor or nurse, you have to be a doctor or nurse before you join, they don't send you to school to be one.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:30 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
When you say mom and dad are loaded, does this mean medical school loaded? If you are serious about medical school, my doctor spent 6 years in the AirForce after medical school to pay for it. I believe he thought the experience was very good. If you will not incur debt, then you better have a reason to join.
All my boys were in the Army. They say the AF is most cushy branch of the service.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-11-2018 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 01-09-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
To be an Air Force doctor or nurse, you have to be a doctor or nurse before you join, they don't send you to school to be one.
https://origin.airforce.com/careers/...sked-questions

They could help the TS pay for it though.

Will the Air Force Pay for My Medical School?

Yes, there are a number of exciting graduate scholarship programs available to qualified applicants—including programs that will pay for medical school.

Can I Train to Be a Doctor Right out of High School?

There are many interesting enlisted medical jobs; however, none lead directly to medical school or a medical degree. To become a doctor, you must first complete an undergraduate college degree in pre-medicine. After that, you can apply for the Health Profession Scholarship Program (HPSP). The HPSP will pay for your medical school and has an internship program. There are many financial assistance programs available to help pay your education, including Air Force ROTC and the Air Force Academy.

What Is the pay like as a Healthcare Professional
Air Force healthcare professional pay varies by profession. Some will qualify for professional pay and/or yearly bonuses above their base pay and benefits. A few high-need professions may also receive sign-on bonuses. There are also many educational and professional opportunities unique to the Air Force.

Will the Air Force Help Supplement My Residency Pay?
Depending on your specialty, the Air Force Financial Assistance Program (FAP) gives you a way to complete your residency and concentrate on becoming your best, not worrying about finances.

What Do Air Force Healthcare Professionals Do in Peacetime?
Our mission is the healthcare of our service members and their families. A majority of Air Force healthcare professionals work in clinics and hospitals much like our civilian counterparts. There are some exciting opportunities in many kinds of humanitarian missions both at home and abroad. Some healthcare professionals pursue education or medical research during peacetime.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:45 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post

Agreed...

From: https://study.com/articles/Become_a_...eer_Guide.html

"becoming a military doctor requires earning a bachelor's degree and a medical degree and enrolling in the military."

Old 01-09-2018, 12:07 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,567 times
I am in no position whatsoever to suggest whether or not a 'career' in the USAF is what the OP should or should not pursue...but IMHO starting ANY conversation with "Hey, So" is DEFINATELY something the OP should lose.

It sounds 'effeminate'...and by that I mean it actually sets my teeth on edge to even hear a WOMAN start a conversation in such a way.

Just saying.

That said...I DID enlist in USAF right out of high-school...and given the chance to go back in time...I'd do it all again...without hesitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues