Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 04:12 PM

51,661 posts, read 25,896,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Both sides fought with honor and with loyalty to their country as they saw it. ...
Baloney. The Civil War is not a both sides are fine people situation.

One side fought with honor and loyalty to the U.S.The other side attacked them.

So what if Confederates claimed their loyalty was to Virginia, the CSA, or the Church of What's Happening Now?

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 07-26-2021 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 04:15 PM

51,661 posts, read 25,896,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Here's something to throw into the gears. What if it is not a point of naming them because they were Confederates but because of their wonderful fighting skill especially if their tactics were used by Americans in latter battles?

I was looking at the names of some of the DDG-2 class, particularly Semmes, Waddell, and Buchanan. What can be said about those men? Well, Buchanan as the commissioning Captain of the Virginia brought about the shift of the US Navy to iron ships. It might have happened eventually but, conceivably, he forced the decision at the right moment when it wasn't too painful or that much of a disaster.

Semmes and Waddell as commerce raiders were successful Captains operating in a very hostile world. Were some of their tactics used by US submarine commanders in later years?

Just saying of the possibilities but remember, if the victor uses the same tactics as the enemy, it makes it rather difficult to charge the enemy for doing so. (ie, for how Doenitz conducted the U-Boat war, Admiral Nimitz told his submarines to do the same thing)
Why not name bases after Rommel then? He was a brilliant tactician.

Give the traitors credit in the history books for their successful strategies of attacking the U.S.

But leave their names off U.S. military bases.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 07-26-2021 at 04:23 PM..

Old 07-26-2021, 04:31 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,055,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Why not name bases after Rommel then? He was a brilliant tactician.

Give them credit in the history books for their successful strategies of attacking the U.S.

But leave their names off U.S. military bases.
They did....sort of. The West Germans named one of their DDG-2 variants Rommel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%B...lass_destroyer

Oh, you mean in the US? Well something to keep in mind in the actual Civil War was that Lincoln never had the Confederacy as a separate country. He never gave them that recognition. As such, at least in a possible sense, those of the Confederacy were still Americans.
https://www.nps.gov/liho/learn/histo...ofcontents.htm

Now, one other thing.....USS Canberra. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Canberra_(CA-70)

Sometimes we do name for things not American.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:35 PM

28,696 posts, read 18,851,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
They did....sort of. The West Germans named one of their DDG-2 variants Rommel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%B...lass_destroyer

Oh, you mean in the US? Well something to keep in mind in the actual Civil War was that Lincoln never had the Confederacy as a separate country. He never gave them that recognition. As such, at least in a possible sense, those of the Confederacy were still Americans.
https://www.nps.gov/liho/learn/histo...ofcontents.htm

Now, one other thing.....USS Canberra. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Canberra_(CA-70)

Sometimes we do name for things not American.
You keep talking about ships, though, which is not the same thing as posts. The US Army has named helicopters after its former adversaries as well.

Old 07-26-2021, 06:37 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,055,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You keep talking about ships, though, which is not the same thing as posts. The US Army has named helicopters after its former adversaries as well.
Perhaps not but we have named them for at least 4 Confederates.

Oh, you mean Native Americans?

Well, when it comes to them, US wise, they are like kings in the Roman Empire as once enemies, now allies, in a matter of thinking. Maybe not like Abdulaziz of Saudi Arabia (attack, defeat, marry the eldest daughter, make her pregnant, divorce her but be united by offspring) but a similar end result.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-26-2021 at 06:47 PM..

Old 07-27-2021, 12:08 AM

6,183 posts, read 3,394,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
You do realize that all GEN Milley said was that he had read a book and thought it important to know the info? That it was important for West Point cadets to understand alternate viewpoints.

Then Tucker got ahold of it and blew it into so much more.
Based on the climate that I have seen in the last 6 months or so, Milley can make whatever public statement he wants to in order to try and deflect criticism, but something is definitely going on behind the scenes.

I was sitting in on a briefing just last week and I heard one of the most outrageous comments from a senior leader that I’ve ever heard in my 30 years of service. I looked around the room, dead silence. A few people probably agreed with it, while many were likely too scared to say anything. As a contractor, I have to be very careful. I’m there to assist the folks in uniform, and be a force multiplier, not question policy, and I have no doubt I’d get walked off the base pretty quickly.

I don’t believe that these leaders are making comments completely off the cuff, either. My theory is that they are being given guidance from the Pentagon and encouraged to say stuff like this.

So while I agree that the right is blowing it up into something more than it is, the left is doing the same thing, minimizing it and saying it’s nothing when it absolutely is something.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:56 AM

28,696 posts, read 18,851,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Based on the climate that I have seen in the last 6 months or so, Milley can make whatever public statement he wants to in order to try and deflect criticism, but something is definitely going on behind the scenes.

I was sitting in on a briefing just last week and I heard one of the most outrageous comments from a senior leader that I’ve ever heard in my 30 years of service. I looked around the room, dead silence. A few people probably agreed with it, while many were likely too scared to say anything. As a contractor, I have to be very careful. I’m there to assist the folks in uniform, and be a force multiplier, not question policy, and I have no doubt I’d get walked off the base pretty quickly.

I don’t believe that these leaders are making comments completely off the cuff, either. My theory is that they are being given guidance from the Pentagon and encouraged to say stuff like this.

So while I agree that the right is blowing it up into something more than it is, the left is doing the same thing, minimizing it and saying it’s nothing when it absolutely is something.
So what was the comment?

Old 07-27-2021, 10:18 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,678,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Certainly. The example of Germany has been noted. They absolutely have not "cancelled" their Nazi history, they teach it extensively...as something not to be repeated. And they don't have statues to any Nazi leaders.
Excellent point.

Of course, if some of the Republican politicians in the news were in Germany they would be trying to outlaw the teaching of "Critical German History".

Old 07-27-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post

The Democrat Party should have been abolished in 1865 and the Confederacy done away with.
I have great news for you. They never had to abolish the Democrat Party because it never existed!

Happy now?

Old 07-27-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Jane Fonda……..
I totally agree that we should rename all those U.S. military bases that are named after Jane Fonda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues