Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 11:59 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's because you Republicans are just the southern Democrats who have switched parties.
What a load of crap - own your history instead of trying to deflect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 02:12 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
What a load of crap - own your history instead of trying to deflect.
A little history lesson may be in order here. Southerners uniformly called themselves "democrats" after the Civil War because--well--since Lincoln freed the slaves it wasn't honorable to be a republican in the South. This went on for decades, although virtually all of these "southern democrats" were to the right of Atilla the Hun on political issues. Than in 1948, a republican named Strom Thurmond in South Carolina was upset at President Harry Truman because Truman was showing support for the cause of civil rights. One thing Truman did in 1948 was to desegregate the military. Thurmond bolted the democratic party and ran for President under a third party ticket. Thurmond would become a republican in 1964. Gradually, other southerners followed suit. The process was gradual and was not really completed until the 1990's. However, the process where conservative southern democrats became republicans has a name: It is called "The Realignment". Yes, the democrats and republicans in the South basically switched sides.

I tell this long story because frankly I am fed up with conservatives who like to claim the democrat party is really the racist party. Its not. Its the present republicans who used to be southern democrats who deserve that label.

Last edited by markg91359; 07-27-2021 at 03:26 PM..

Old 07-27-2021, 03:55 PM

60 posts, read 29,134 times
I went through Airborne school at Fort Benning, and no one kvetched about its name, they were all too busy trying to stay in the long, fast, runs. That is how the Black Hats thinned the herd, by running fast.

So anyway that’s my memory of that, and the need to leave the name alone. And anyone that complains about it, couldn’t pass the Airborne course, because they would be whimpering, all through it.

Old 07-27-2021, 03:58 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Rename Ft Bragg to Ft Matthew Ridgeway. an Airborne Hero

Old 07-27-2021, 04:04 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Rename Ft Bragg to Ft Matthew Ridgeway. an Airborne Hero
You know, there are so many non-controversial names for military bases. I live not-too-far away from an air force base named after a test pilot who crashed while in service of this country. There are dozens/hundreds of virtually unknown war heroes in this country. Men (and women) who died earning the congressional medal of honor, or such. I have an uncle who served in World War II and was killed in action. He has more right to have a base named after him than these confederate generals do. Finding a new name isn't hard--as long as it isn't simply an excuse-- for trying to get them to leave things the way they always have been.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:44 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,880,671 times
Seems like the Brits name their bases for the towns or villages nearby. No controversial generals to spark controversy.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:23 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,332,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You know, there are so many non-controversial names for military bases. I live not-too-far away from an air force base named after a test pilot who crashed while in service of this country. There are dozens/hundreds of virtually unknown war heroes in this country. Men (and women) who died earning the congressional medal of honor, or such. I have an uncle who served in World War II and was killed in action. He has more right to have a base named after him than these confederate generals do. Finding a new name isn't hard--as long as it isn't simply an excuse-- for trying to get them to leave things the way they always have been.
If Lincoln, Roosevelt, and many others aren’t safe from the woke mob, nobody is.

I was stationed at Dyess Air Force Base way back in the day. At first glance, William Dyess is a hero. He survived the Bataan death March, then died in a crash as he chose to pilot a damaged plane away from a residential area, even though he could’ve ditched the plane and saved himself.

The woke mob could easily come for him. He’s from Albany, Texas, a small town who I’m fairly certain has skeletons in their closet without even knowing anything about their history. His father was a judge there in the early 1900’s, and that can’t be good when you are talking about minority justice over 100 years ago. I’m sure William Dyess held many beliefs that are incompatible with daily life today. But the woke mob doesn’t care if you held progressive beliefs for your time. They compare it to today, and if you didn’t agree back in 1935 that men should be able to take hormones and grow breasts, you don’t deserve to have a base named after you.

I think you underestimate the resolve of a large group of people who want to remake this country and erase its entire history.

Old 07-28-2021, 06:21 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I think you underestimate the resolve of a large group of people who want to remake this country and erase its entire history.
All that good post ruined by an idiotic final sentence. YOU CAN"T ERASE HISTORY!!!

Now, I'll agree the mob goes too far. There are obvious choices like Calhoun in South Carolina, but more nuanced, like Jefferson.

Old 07-28-2021, 06:28 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
If Lincoln, Roosevelt, and many others aren’t safe from the woke mob, nobody is.

I was stationed at Dyess Air Force Base way back in the day. At first glance, William Dyess is a hero. He survived the Bataan death March, then died in a crash as he chose to pilot a damaged plane away from a residential area, even though he could’ve ditched the plane and saved himself.

The woke mob could easily come for him. He’s from Albany, Texas, a small town who I’m fairly certain has skeletons in their closet without even knowing anything about their history. His father was a judge there in the early 1900’s, and that can’t be good when you are talking about minority justice over 100 years ago. I’m sure William Dyess held many beliefs that are incompatible with daily life today. But the woke mob doesn’t care if you held progressive beliefs for your time. They compare it to today, and if you didn’t agree back in 1935 that men should be able to take hormones and grow breasts, you don’t deserve to have a base named after you.

Nobody is going to even think about Dyess, except as a screeching attempt from the right wing to cry wolf where there is no wolf.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:03 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
Quote:

I had never heard of Dyess before today, so maybe you can enlighten us. Did he ever wage war against the United States after accepting a commission in our military and swearing to defend the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic? Did he ever fight to preserve slavery and extend it across new territories in the United States?

I think he's pretty safe.

If anyone is trying to "erase our history" I would say it is the people who want to ignore and obscure the fact that the Confederate traitors started the war because they wanted to preserve and expand slavery in perpetuity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues