Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 10:24 AM

9,446 posts, read 11,198,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
My African American roots goes back into the 1700s and I strongly oppose any name changes of our military bases, on the grounds of political correctness. After spending time at Benning, both as a military member and later as a federal law enforcement officer, Fort Benning should stay AND remain Fort Benning.

This goes for Fort Bragg as well. Honestly, the Army has bigger issues than this to deal with… Seriously, how is renaming Army Forts going to make the Army more effective on any possible future battlefield(s)??

Yes, IMHO, the Confederacy was a wrong ideal, but it is still part of our history.
Yes, that is the crux of the matter. This has nothing to do with slavery or past wrongs, it is all about power and control and forcing people to bend a knee to the demands of the left.

Both sides fought with honor and with loyalty to their country as they saw it. The Civil War was enormously devastating to both sides, horrible grievous wounds suffered on both sides, no modern medicine, no PTSD treatment except in a bottle, the horrors are endless. Put it to bed.

As you say, focus on what the military's missions is. Fight and win wars and battles. Better yet, prevent wars by projecting an overwhelming ability to do so. Aggressors as a rule do not go after someone who they think has a good chance of whupping up on them.

Our enemies rejoice in watching PC Wokies like Gen. Miley, a true embarrassment to the uniform and the service. If your focus is not on the mission but on some sort of hurt pretend feelings, you should be relieved and removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 12:18 PM

14,424 posts, read 14,344,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Yes, that is the crux of the matter. This has nothing to do with slavery or past wrongs, it is all about power and control and forcing people to bend a knee to the demands of the left.

Both sides fought with honor and with loyalty to their country as they saw it. The Civil War was enormously devastating to both sides, horrible grievous wounds suffered on both sides, no modern medicine, no PTSD treatment except in a bottle, the horrors are endless. Put it to bed.

As you say, focus on what the military's missions is. Fight and win wars and battles. Better yet, prevent wars by projecting an overwhelming ability to do so. Aggressors as a rule do not go after someone who they think has a good chance of whupping up on them.

Our enemies rejoice in watching PC Wokies like Gen. Miley, a true embarrassment to the uniform and the service. If your focus is not on the mission but on some sort of hurt pretend feelings, you should be relieved and removed.
I am capable of believing the enlisted men in confederate ranks were simply misguided and believed they were fighting to defend their homes. None of the bases are named after them though. Instead they are named after the generals who were in charge. I will not give these men credit for fighting honorably. They betrayed their country. The sooner the names are changed the better. It should have occurred decades ago.

Old 07-26-2021, 12:48 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,042,164 times
Here's something to throw into the gears. What if it is not a point of naming them because they were Confederates but because of their wonderful fighting skill especially if their tactics were used by Americans in latter battles?

I was looking at the names of some of the DDG-2 class, particularly Semmes, Waddell, and Buchanan. What can be said about those men? Well, Buchanan as the commissioning Captain of the Virginia brought about the shift of the US Navy to iron ships. It might have happened eventually but, conceivably, he forced the decision at the right moment when it wasn't too painful or that much of a disaster.

Semmes and Waddell as commerce raiders were successful Captains operating in a very hostile world. Were some of their tactics used by US submarine commanders in later years?

Just saying of the possibilities but remember, if the victor uses the same tactics as the enemy, it makes it rather difficult to charge the enemy for doing so. (ie, for how Doenitz conducted the U-Boat war, Admiral Nimitz told his submarines to do the same thing)

Old 07-26-2021, 03:00 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,240,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I'm not aware of an Arnold statue in Burlington. Care to share a link?

Byrd was a despicable human being who saw the error of his ways. From Wiki:
Byrd later called joining the KKK "the greatest mistake I ever made."[7] In 1997, he told an interviewer he would encourage young people to become involved in politics but also warned, "Be sure you avoid the Ku Klux Klan. Don't get that albatross around your neck. Once you've made that mistake, you inhibit your operations in the political arena."[34] In his last autobiography, Byrd explained that he was a KKK member because he "was sorely afflicted with tunnel vision—a jejune and immature outlook—seeing only what I wanted to see because I thought the Klan could provide an outlet for my talents and ambitions."[35] Byrd also said in 2005, "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times ... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened."[14]

I still wouldn't honor him, but the people of WV seem to think him worthy.

John McDonogh? $2 million, mostly gained from selling other human beings. Yeah, not statue worthy.
Edward Douglass White, member of the Confederacy and the KKK. Yeah, not statue worthy.

In case you missed it, Benning is the subject of this thread. I don't think there are any statues of him, but if there were, I bet they'd be gone right after the name change.

Byrd got away with it because he was a Democrat.

Old 07-26-2021, 03:07 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,240,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post

This is what I've been talking about.

The Left wouldn't be using this history as a cudgel to bludgeon the nation into submission IF we on the Right side had dealt with the Confederacy issue the proper way. Rather than stand back and let THEM exploit the history to divide and conquer the nation. Now they want to claim Abraham Lincoln as their own, and leave the patriotic Americans holding the bag for their legacy of hate, rebellion, disloyalty and treachery. Only in America can this happen. I can't think of another people on the planet who've allowed themselves to be treated so viciously as American loyalists have been treated by the party of rebellion and accusation.

We on the GOP side have NO BUSINESS defending Democrat statues and flags and history. None. The Democrat Party should have been abolished in 1865, just like the Nazis were in 1945, and all talk of monuments and the like done away with, just as we did with the Nazis after ww2.

The Democrats want to tear down their history now and hide it away so that they can then REWRITE the history their way..... and we on the other side are HELPING THEM by being kind enough to stupidly defend their legacy. WE should be demanding they tear down the statues of dead Democrats ourselves... INSTEAD OF DEFENDING THEM.

It's insane. It's hysterically illogical. And did I say insane?

General Miley would be irrelevant now if we had taken his "WOKE" platform away from him.

Old 07-26-2021, 03:15 PM

7,493 posts, read 6,276,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Byrd got away with it because he was a Democrat.
He sure can play a fiddle and his singing ain’t bad either, so I forgive him for all his past misdeeds.

Old 07-26-2021, 03:24 PM

5,726 posts, read 4,715,104 times
As a Christian, when someone asks for forgiveness, you give it.

Old 07-26-2021, 03:38 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,042,164 times
Hmmmmm, here's an interesting thing from history:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Guerriere_(1814)

.........why name one of your ships for a ship that was defeated? I suspect it was because of the moral boost that defeat did for America but then on the other hand..........

............in one of unpublished (they are all unpublished) space operas, there is the space destroyer the (oh the word of the day is Citadel) Citadel. The Citadel was the name of a space empire who had attacked and slaughtered the people of the Captain of the Citadel.....and she in turn led the war where she slaughtered the Citadel. The rulers of the fleet she served in rewarded her by giving her command of a squadron of space destroyers and being able to name her ship which she called "Citadel".

This was not to honor those people but rather so others would know who it had been who had demolished them.

Second note. The West Germans had 3 DDG-2 class destroyers of their own, all named for officers of WWII. According to wiki, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B...#Commemoration with particular notice to:

"Choosing the name "Lütjens" for the newly commissioned destroyer was not without controversy, but the Minister of Defence Gerhard Schröder wanted to break the taboo surrounding the heroes of World War II who were not Nazis but who were not associated with the 20 July plot, the failed assassination of Adolf Hitler. The former Inspector of the Navy Ruge had feared that Lütjens was not known well enough and had suggested the names Adenauer, Berlin and Rommel instead. Schröder however wanted to bridge the gap to former traditions and wanted to name the destroyers after former heroes of the three branches of the Wehrmacht (Heer, Kriegsmarine and Luftwaffe).[111] Lütjens' name had previously been cleared by the German Armed Forces Military History Research Office (Militärgeschichtliches Forschungsamt or MGFA), formerly in Freiburg im Breisgau. Schröder concluded with the words "We must have the courage like any other people, to honour men who have served their country bravely and faithfully."[111] "

Just saying........

Old 07-26-2021, 03:47 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
We on the GOP side have NO BUSINESS defending Democrat statues and flags and history. None. The Democrat Party should have been abolished in 1865, just like the Nazis were in 1945, and all talk of monuments and the like done away with, just as we did with the Nazis after ww2.

The Democrats want to tear down their history now and hide it away so that they can then REWRITE the history their way..... and we on the other side are HELPING THEM by being kind enough to stupidly defend their legacy. WE should be demanding they tear down the statues of dead Democrats ourselves... INSTEAD OF DEFENDING THEM.

It's insane. It's hysterically illogical. And did I say insane?
That's because you Republicans are just the southern Democrats who have switched parties.

Old 07-26-2021, 04:05 PM

5,726 posts, read 4,715,104 times
Quote:
General Miley would be irrelevant now if we had taken his "WOKE" platform away from him.
You do realize that all GEN Milley said was that he had read a book and thought it important to know the info? That it was important for West Point cadets to understand alternate viewpoints.

Then Tucker got ahold of it and blew it into so much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues