Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 08:41 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,553,487 times

Advertisements

I never understood why the named Ft. Bragg after Confederate General Braxton Bragg. He was a terrible officer, the men under him hated him (he was a disciplinarian who would hang soldiers for cowardice, read "Company Aytch" by Confederate veteran Sam Watkins for more info. on the feelings of those under his command) and he was ultimately relieved of his command by Jefferson Davis.

It's not like the guy was a competent officer to being with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 08:53 AM

6,164 posts, read 3,384,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Good. Naming forts after traitors is a bad idea.
You are looking at it too narrowly.

On the one hand, you don’t name bases after a defeated enemy, who happened to start the whole war in the first place by seceding. So I agree with you on that premise.

But on the other hand, if you name a base in Georgia something like Fort Sherman or Fort Grant in 1910, with the war still somewhat fresh, you are just asking for trouble.

I think it was pretty smart, actually. Naming them after confederates brought everyone together.

It served its purpose, and now, it probably makes sense to rename them again to try to bring everyone together again. Although I wonder if it won’t have the opposite effect this time around?

Old 07-23-2021, 11:05 AM

6,589 posts, read 7,102,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
You are looking at it too narrowly.

On the one hand, you don’t name bases after a defeated enemy, who happened to start the whole war in the first place by seceding. So I agree with you on that premise.

But on the other hand, if you name a base in Georgia something like Fort Sherman or Fort Grant in 1910, with the war still somewhat fresh, you are just asking for trouble.

I think it was pretty smart, actually. Naming them after confederates brought everyone together.

It served its purpose, and now, it probably makes sense to rename them again to try to bring everyone together again. Although I wonder if it won’t have the opposite effect this time around?
I agree it was smart at the time. It has served it's purpose and I worry as you do that it might make the divide remain large for longer. Still most Americans have the attention span of about 30 minutes. Okay a bit of an exaggeration but we seem to have selective memory when we want and we do move on from one thing to another like a hummingbird.

Old 07-23-2021, 02:32 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,892,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Traitor:a person who betrays a friend, country, principle, etc.
that's a pretty broad spectrum of treason. .Like attacking fire bombing, Federal Courthouses ,police stations ,looting? or is that plane old insurrection ?

Old 07-23-2021, 06:25 PM

6,589 posts, read 7,102,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
that's a pretty broad spectrum of treason. .Like attacking fire bombing, Federal Courthouses ,police stations ,looting? or is that plane old insurrection ?
It is the dictionary definition. Did you not look it up? Kind of like text book answer. Or is it you just want to be shown to be a brain surgeon?

Old 07-23-2021, 06:29 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,892,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
It is the dictionary definition. Did you not look it up? Kind of like text book answer. Or is it you just want to be shown to be a brain surgeon?
so we agree

Old 07-24-2021, 12:08 AM

562 posts, read 342,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
There is an effort now to ReName Fort Benning to Fort Moore in honor of LTG Hal Moore who had quite a history in the Vietnam war.

Information on the amazing service of LTG Moore, and his wife, is found here.

He co-wrote the 1992 New York Times Bestselling book on the Ia Drang battles, We Were Soldiers Once… and Young, that remains on official Army and USMC reading lists to this day.

The book was made into a movie starring Mel Gibson.

The final battle scene from the movie is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuaS...vBic2S&index=4

Let's get this base renamed.
I think it would be fitting considering the mission of the post and the legacy of Hal Moore. I've watched We Were Soldiers countless times. Time to ready to the book. True hero whose name belongs on a post. Good riddance to all the Confederate legacy. Read about it in a book or see it in a museum.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:44 AM

14,426 posts, read 14,348,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I have never looked upon Confederate Civil War officers and enlisted as traitors they were not members of a foreign country. I say this as a Northerner in New Hampshire .
I consider someone who rebels against the government of the USA as a traitor.

We have passed a law requiring the renaming of these bases.

Frankly, it should have been done years ago. I don't want the names of any of these confederate leaders on our military installations. All the statutes of them and such belong in one place and one place only; a confederate museum.

Old 07-24-2021, 11:19 AM

2,562 posts, read 2,225,119 times
Why have names at all? Just use the ZIP codes that they're located in. "Fort 12345", etc.

Old 07-24-2021, 11:36 AM

2,673 posts, read 2,240,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
My African American roots goes back into the 1700s and I strongly oppose any name changes of our military bases, on the grounds of political correctness. After spending time at Benning, both as a military member and later as a federal law enforcement officer, Fort Benning should stay AND remain Fort Benning.

This goes for Fort Bragg as well. Honestly, the Army has bigger issues than this to deal with… Seriously, how is renaming Army Forts going to make the Army more effective on any possible future battlefield(s)??

Yes, IMHO, the Confederacy was a wrong ideal, but it is still part of our history.

The Nazis were the wrong ideal, and they're still part of German history..... DESPITE the fact that their flags and statues and all other symbolic monuments and artifacts were ripped down and destroyed by the Allied powers almost immediately after the war ended. There aren't any air force bases named after Goering in Germany. Same in Japan... and Italy. Same in Russia after the fall of the Soviet Union. All of those examples should have been heeded in the US. The Republicans should have been leading the way on that - RATHER THAN.... insanely enough.... defending the artifacts of the Democrat rebellion as if they were ours. How stupid. How pathetic. How Twilight Zone. And in light of the fact the GOP was the party of abolition in days gone by. Even though everybody failed on the original sin at the founding.

The Democrat Party should have been abolished in 1865 and the Confederacy done away with. Maybe we could have avoided 100 years of Jim Crow then, and other NEEDLESS strife and problems. Maybe then we could have robbed the American Left of about 90 percent of their odious complaints. It would have been much better had the GOP done it, rather than waiting for the subversives to grab the issue and exploit them.

But we didn't. And now, here we are, 160 years later in almost the EXACT SAME PLACE as before.... except that the bad guys are in control of the culture and the institutions and the good guys are hiding under the bed. And the bad guys are blaming EVERYBODY ELSE for their confederacy and their statues and their battle flag and their memorials to their heros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues