Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 06:40 PM

26,209 posts, read 49,017,880 times

Advertisements

There is an effort now to ReName Fort Benning to Fort Moore in honor of LTG Hal Moore who had quite a history in the Vietnam war.

Information on the amazing service of LTG Moore, and his wife, is found here.

He co-wrote the 1992 New York Times Bestselling book on the Ia Drang battles, We Were Soldiers Once… and Young, that remains on official Army and USMC reading lists to this day.

The book was made into a movie starring Mel Gibson.

The final battle scene from the movie is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuaS...vBic2S&index=4

Let's get this base renamed.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 08:59 PM

4,897 posts, read 2,053,213 times
My African American roots goes back into the 1700s and I strongly oppose any name changes of our military bases, on the grounds of political correctness. After spending time at Benning, both as a military member and later as a federal law enforcement officer, Fort Benning should stay AND remain Fort Benning.

This goes for Fort Bragg as well. Honestly, the Army has bigger issues than this to deal with… Seriously, how is renaming Army Forts going to make the Army more effective on any possible future battlefield(s)??

Yes, IMHO, the Confederacy was a wrong ideal, but it is still part of our history.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:55 PM

634 posts, read 327,014 times
It's going to get renamed soon-enough; Moore seems like a decent prospect for the new namesake.
I responded to a survey a few weeks back that asked for suggestions for Benning's new name; I proposed Fort Sherman. Why not name the home of the Army's Maneuver Center of Excellence for a master of maneuver warfare? LTG Moore should definitely be in consideration though.

Old 07-23-2021, 02:22 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,624 times
I have problems with changes in the military - I am still salty with the joint bases realities (and for pete's sake the horror of what has happened to Ft. Knox!).

No one cares what we want; the powers that be will just do whatever they want any way.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:51 AM

6,092 posts, read 3,332,788 times
I think that’s a great idea. Gen Hal Moore was a great officer.

But since I do think it’s a great idea, I can almost guarantee that the current people in charge, to include Lloyd Austin, probably won’t like it.

Somewhere down the line, the General probably held a view that they don’t feel is pure enough for the current climate.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:58 AM

6,092 posts, read 3,332,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
My African American roots goes back into the 1700s and I strongly oppose any name changes of our military bases, on the grounds of political correctness. After spending time at Benning, both as a military member and later as a federal law enforcement officer, Fort Benning should stay AND remain Fort Benning.

This goes for Fort Bragg as well. Honestly, the Army has bigger issues than this to deal with… Seriously, how is renaming Army Forts going to make the Army more effective on any possible future battlefield(s)??

Yes, IMHO, the Confederacy was a wrong ideal, but it is still part of our history.
It’s pretty much a done deal, just a matter of time before the commission announces the changes. 10 bases are under review, and I can’t imagine any of them not undergoing a name change:

Ft Polk
Ft Bragg
Ft Lee
Ft Benning
Ft Gordon
Ft Hood
Camp Beauregard
Ft Hill
ft Rucker
Ft Pickett

This is just the start, many base street names, buildings named after people, will all be purged.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:28 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
Good. Naming forts after traitors is a bad idea.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:39 AM

5,951 posts, read 2,871,799 times
I have never looked upon Confederate Civil War officers and enlisted as traitors they were not members of a foreign country. I say this as a Northerner in New Hampshire .

Old 07-23-2021, 07:56 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,254,683 times
I guess if the object is to waste money, this is as good as any. After its all done, then everything will be all right.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:32 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I have never looked upon Confederate Civil War officers and enlisted as traitors they were not members of a foreign country. I say this as a Northerner in New Hampshire .
Traitor:a person who betrays a friend, country, principle, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues