Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:40 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times

Advertisements

[quote=RangerDuke08;6837695]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_complex View Post
LMAOO.. Your lost!

Mod deleted

"In the Navy" ... btw CG and AF uniforms were pretty similar to begin with, but I hear the AF is going with "Hap Arnold" heritage coats??? Not digging it.

Those coats were taken out of the plans a couple years ago! We had planned on getting new coats, but with normal collars, but when General Mosely quit, they were also taken off the table. Learship decided to focus on the war instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
MaStA, I'm positive that all of the services' education programs are accredited just like CCAF is. (They all have the equivalent of our CCAF)

Absolutely not true. The USAF is the ONLY branch that can award college credit, or is accredited (through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools).

Universities can decide to give you credit in certain classes for your completion of course in the other branches, but the Air Force is the only institution that can award college credit, or award degrees. We have the Community College of the Air Force, Air University, and the Air Force Institute for Technology, which awards Masters degrees to enlisted and officers. No other branches have college credit awarding authority.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWN_REPRESENTA View Post
i'm in the USCG and i know plenty of people from other branches who came to the coast guard for various reasons. many of the people who came to us from the USAF did so because advancement in the air force was slow.

True!!

Old 06-02-2010, 06:12 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
The USAF is the only service with it's own community college. The other services correspondence courses aren't accredited, but just as the USAF does, they all have civilian colleges that award degrees aboard their installations. Most of what you said is technically true, but many people may interpret it as the USAF is the only branch where you can go to college, which isn't true. Also, just like anything else, the college has to accept those credits. The colleges that accept those credits tend to be the same ones that'll accept a SMARTS or AARTS ( https://smart.navy.mil/smart/welcome.do / Home Page ) transcript as well for military training. I said mostly correct only b/c of the statements saying no other branch has accreditiation or awards degrees. Each service does have an accreditted College or University that grants Masters degrees. Matter of fact, the Marine Corps University is accredited by the same organization the CCAF is.

Marine Corps University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
United States Army War College - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Naval War College - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Granted there are colleges that will accept CCAF courses that will not accept a Marine MCI course, which is why I've seen Marines transfer their MCIs to CCAF then transfer those courses to a college

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Absolutely not true. The USAF is the ONLY branch that can award college credit, or is accredited (through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools).

Universities can decide to give you credit in certain classes for your completion of course in the other branches, but the Air Force is the only institution that can award college credit, or award degrees. We have the Community College of the Air Force, Air University, and the Air Force Institute for Technology, which awards Masters degrees to enlisted and officers. No other branches have college credit awarding authority.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:49 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Thanks for setting me straight, Dmarie123 and Macjr82; I sit corrected! I just assumed that the other branches had the equivalent of CCAF. (And EVERYONE knows what assume means...) Dmarie123, you're right; retirees DON'T have all the answers...

Old 06-02-2010, 09:30 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
ARMY/AMERICAN
COUNCIL ON EDUCATION
REGISTRY TRANSCRIPT SYSTEM (AARTS)

The AARTS is a computerized transcript system that produces transcripts for eligible Soldiers and Veterans upon request by combining a Soldier's/Veteran’s military education, training and experience with descriptions and credit recommendations developed by the American Council on Education (ACE).

The AARTS transcript is designed to:
  • Help college officials to award credit for learning experiences the Soldier/Veteran gained while in the military.
  • Provide the Soldier/Veteran supplements to his/her resume.
  • Provide employers with a better understanding of the scope of responsibilities and skills the Soldier/Veteran acquired while in the military.

Web Page: Fact Sheet (http://aarts.army.mil/fact_sheet.htm - broken link)

Old 06-03-2010, 06:59 AM

Well- I didn't know that other branches could award masters degrees! So I learned something too. As I did say, many colleges will give credits for technical schools in other branches, but those colleges can choose what credits, how many, and whether to award them or not. It's not the same as an acredited college transcript....

But I didn't mean to imply that the other technical schools were worthless. They are not.

I didn't think that CCAF would let a non Air Force person transfer in credits... so that's new information too!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:35 AM

21 posts, read 74,538 times
I would suggest going the ROTC route and get your degree first! You will have a better way of life in whatever branch you choose. And a degree to fall back on if leave the service. My AF retired husband went this route and now are kids are doing the same.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
ARMY/AMERICAN
COUNCIL ON EDUCATION
REGISTRY TRANSCRIPT SYSTEM (AARTS)

The AARTS is a computerized transcript system that produces transcripts for eligible Soldiers and Veterans upon request by combining a Soldier's/Veteran’s military education, training and experience with descriptions and credit recommendations developed by the American Council on Education (ACE).

The AARTS transcript is designed to:
  • Help college officials to award credit for learning experiences the Soldier/Veteran gained while in the military.
  • Provide the Soldier/Veteran supplements to his/her resume.
  • Provide employers with a better understanding of the scope of responsibilities and skills the Soldier/Veteran acquired while in the military.

Web Page: Fact Sheet (http://aarts.army.mil/fact_sheet.htm - broken link)

This is cool, and good to know, but still not an accredited degree granting institution. It helps colleges award credit for experiences. It gives them a guideline for what credits they can award, if they want to, it's not the same. A college can take all the suggestions, or ignore them all.

But it's still good to know about! And I'm sure that most colleges are very lenient with the way that they award credits.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:30 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Many colleges are very lenient with their assesements, but this is just one fast way of getting evaluated. I wish the program had existed in the 80's when I was trying to get evaluated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues