Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inman1979 View Post
First off, congratulations on graduating AIT!
Next let me help you with a few things, I have been in the Army for a several years now and have been deployed for 15 months. I have dealt with everything from S1 reporting me AWOL and stopping my pay, when i wasn't, to getting married in the midst of PCSing. The previous post are great, have allot of great info. but not entirely correct. If you can get ammendments to your orders adding your new spouse, you will and can be afforded all the same benefits anyone else would, to include DLA, military housing, BAH, BAS, and all the other things us married folk have. Also once you have your orders ammended you can have your wifes hosehold goods TMO'd to you new duty station anlong with yours. First thing you need to do is get your wife enroled into DEERS!! Next get those ammendments!!
Why didn't you bother reading the OP ?

He does NOT have a wife. She is his fiance

Words and terminology make a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 6,774 times
what are some good duty stations to go to?

Old 11-16-2010, 05:30 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwild825 View Post
ok, i enlisted in the army and as soon i come home from training i will be leaving again for my first duty station. first off, what do i have to do for my fiancee can come with me.
As stated many, many times: marry her, or be prepared to shell out every penny to move her and understand you will get *no* official support from the Army and very little unofficial support (of note: I did exactly this with my wife for a couple of years, and yes, it's doable-but can be expensive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwild825
second, will i get to chose my first duty station.
i will be an MP if it helps any
As also stated, have it on your enlistment contract. If it's not on there now, you will be assigned needs of the Army. You'll get to fill out a preference list at AIT-but the only time that is used at lower ranks is if the first preference matches the place the Army most needs. If you have 'Ft Hood', an enormous, sprawling base with a lot of MPS, you're a heck of a lot more likely to get it than 'Picatinny Arsenal', a pretty small base with mostly contractor population.

If it is *that* important to you, you can go back to the recruiter and jump through widgets to pull out of/renegotiate your contract (until you ship, it can be done) and get it redone to show station of choice. There is a some danger in this, because he might get so fed up with your whining you get cut off-why should he waste time on someone who is wishy-washy when he has other kids wanting to join? If he's desparate or has time he might go through the widgets with you. Usually you can only qualify for *one* incentive-e.g., if you have a bonus, or MOS of choice, you can't also get station of choice. I've known some folks to get two incentives, but that's rare.

Now, caution: better be *sure* 'choosing your first station' is really that critical to you that you are willing to burn bridges. And I'm here to tell you it's not. If you joined the Army, you will get moved according to needs of the Army after 2-3 years, even *with* 'station of choice'. You may find your 'dream' assignment is not your personal dream assignment (I've known plenty of spouses and soldiers who totally hated Hawaii and Ft. Lewis, the two most requested posts).

You get more influence on PCSes after your first duty assignment, and the higher in rank you go the more influence you get. I did not say choice, unless you reenlist specifically for it.

But a much better plan: marry your fiance, get command sponsorship, take her with you, and really gut down and be a great soldier so when PCS time comes, your chain of command is willing to pick up the phone and talk to your branch. By then you'll have an idea of what you really like or dislike about the Army.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:29 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwild825 View Post
ok, i enlisted in the army and as soon i come home from training i will be leaving again for my first duty station. first off, what do i have to do for my fiancee can come with me. second, will i get to chose my first duty station.
i will be an MP if it helps any.
ROTFLMAO!!

My son is an MP in the Army. Right now, he's in Iraq.

Answer to 1st question: If you want your "fiance" to come with you, and you want her to be "command sponsored" and be able to get on base, you have to get married. Change her fiance status to legal spouse. If you're going to be in training, you might not be allowed separate quarters. Things have changed, depends on installation and commander, etc.

Answer to 2nd question: I doubt you'll "get to choose" your 1st duty station. Example: my son requested to be stationed in upstate New York. Where did they sent him? Hawaii. Welcome to the military: they send you where they need you.

PS: I just realized this thread is a bit old. Disregard this post.

Last edited by EDnurse; 11-16-2010 at 09:37 AM..

Old 11-16-2010, 10:01 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inman1979 View Post
to include DLA
Wrong....I know this is an old thread...but was brought back to life...

You DO NOT get DLA (Dislocation allowance) on your first or last move in the military....

Old 11-17-2010, 02:11 PM

559 posts, read 1,466,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Wrong....I know this is an old thread...but was brought back to life...

You DO NOT get DLA (Dislocation allowance) on your first or last move in the military....

Wrong. I don't how the Army does it, but in the AF, you do get DLA, ESPECIALLY on your first move. We got it when we moved to our first base and had to live in town and we also got it when we moved on base.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Based on over 20 years in the military;
First off, as an E-1, 2, or 3, you can't AFFORD to be married! Even if she can find a job, you can't afford it! If/when the babies come (and they will, usually at the worst possible time!), you REALLY can't afford it. As an E-4, maybe. As an E-5 and up, it becomes possible.

Check with your career counselor about assignments. You can ask for a specific assignment, but there is no guarantee you will get it. They WILL send you where they need you. Quite possibly, to a place where the name ends in -stan!

Also, check into what rank you have to hold to get transportation for dependents. I really doubt if the Army is going to pay for your wife to accompany you until you are at least E-4 over four years of service. I don't KNOW if it is still that way, but it was when I was on active duty.
As previously stated, as far as the military is concerned, a fiancee does not exist. Until you can bring that marriage license in, she is a non-person. She is not eligible for ANY benefits, period. You can, however, name her as beneficiary of your SGLI.

You really need to ask these questions of your Career Counselor. Regulations change frequently, and the military is trying to be more family friendly. It is very doubtful that you can find up-to-date information on an internet forum like this one. Very definitely do NOT go to anybody in authority (First Sergeant, Plattoon sergeant, Company Commander, etc.) and say "But I read on the 'net..."! They will very likely have unkind things to say about your gullibility!
Good luck.
Ok I know this is almost 2 years old but......really? It is possible to be married. yes it's hard even with 2 jobs and people routinely think that if you are in the military you have money (BWAHAHAHAHA, HILARIOUS) but you aren't living in poverty.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
Wrong. I don't how the Army does it, but in the AF, you do get DLA, ESPECIALLY on your first move. We got it when we moved to our first base and had to live in town and we also got it when we moved on base.
Well since this an Army thread, I would be correct (partially)....Even though this is a DOD wide regulation and not Army or Air Force and the NEW stipulation for getting DLA is

Members are now entitled to a dislocation allowance for their initial PCS move. Under previous law (2001 and prior) there was no DLA entitlement when the PCS is from your home (or the place where you entered active duty) to your first permanent duty station (PDS).
To receive DLA for your first PCS move, you must relocate your dependents (no DLA is authorized on the first PCS move, if dependents are not relocated).

By law there is no DLA entitlement when the PCS is from your PDS to your Home of Record. In other words there's no DLA entitlement when leaving active duty.

So, I am correct to say if they have dependants on their first PCS, your first PCS is after AIT, you get DLA and if they do not have dependants they do not get DLA.

I am also correct to say that if you leave the regular Army, you will not receive DLA (Retirement, ETS, whatever the case maybe).

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/faqdla.html (broken link)

Old 11-19-2010, 01:29 PM

All I know is that when we moved here a year ago, we got DLA. When we moved a few months ago to live on base, we got DLA. And I'm pretty sure my husband said when we move again, we get DLA. I also thought the DLA stuff was the same with every branch but maybe it's not. I didn't assume you got DLA when you separated from service, that makes sense and not having dependents, that makes sense, but it sounded as if the OP was going to have a dependent, when his fiancee would become his wife. I was just stating from out experience, you get DLA whenever you move.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle View Post
I beg to differ...

IF your wife wants medical, and the BAH of being married.. YES YES YES they have to be command sponsored. Korea is changing and bases are open for families moving there...

We just finished a tour in Germany where I was not command sponsored to be there (we did a HOP from Charleston SC to Spangdahlem GE) and then got Command Sponsored.

Being Command Sponsored means that your WIFE has to have an interview with a person from Medical seeing that they are mentally OKAY and medically fine to be overseas.

Just showing up does NOT mean you are good to go!

BTW ( we were stationed CONUS many many many miles away from a base)

AND - I visited him while he was stationed in Korea... visiting and living are TWO totally different things.
Man I have to stop reading this thread....

Again, WRONG!!!!

You spouse can come over to Korea NOT COMMAND sponsored and you WILL recieve OHA. Command sponsored or not....I was stationed in Korea from July 2005 until April 2009.....at USAG Humphries.....

You DO NOT need to see the Dr. for EFMP UNLESS you are doing command sponsorship.....anything else, just jump on a plane with your passport and you start recieving OHA from the day the non-military spouse enters the country...

My wife was there from 2006 until Decemebr 2009....command sponsored from the end of 2007....from 2006 until CS I recieved OHA....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues