Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 04:15 AM

240 posts, read 420,135 times

Advertisements

When I was in (in the mid 1990's) when you enlisted you wrote down 3 of the top duty stations you were interested in getting stationed at. I have no idea if they still do that nowadays. But when I re-enlisted, and put Ft. Bragg as my first choice (because I wanted to be in the 82nd Airborne), that's the one I got!

So, we used to put our #1 favorite station on top of the list and most likely we got it. I know I did.

But I have no idea if they still do that now or what. A lot has changed since I was in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 08:55 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
yeah for redraven

agree with all said. Leave her home with mama and daddy until you are ready to make a home and a life for your wife. And as an E1 2 3 or 4 you are nowhere near the financial place it would be to take care of a wife or family.

you will be living in the barracks with the other troops, walking the perimeter with your eyes peeled. Watching and observing. That is what you do until you are in a position to be a responsible husband and father.

And read your contract. If it isn't in there, it isn't.

And she would be so lonely and it is such a hard life on the spouses. You do have to be Army strong.

As a former company commander I was alternately ticked off and sympathetic to my young troops who innocently brought fiancee's and unaccompanied wives with them.

The Army is a hard life. Do the hard times first as a single soldier, then if you find it is the life for you bring her in.

But good luck I am proud of your service and wish you well

Old 09-12-2011, 07:02 AM

240 posts, read 420,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
yeah for redraven

agree with all said. Leave her home with mama and daddy until you are ready to make a home and a life for your wife. And as an E1 2 3 or 4 you are nowhere near the financial place it would be to take care of a wife or family.

you will be living in the barracks with the other troops, walking the perimeter with your eyes peeled. Watching and observing. That is what you do until you are in a position to be a responsible husband and father.

And read your contract. If it isn't in there, it isn't.

And she would be so lonely and it is such a hard life on the spouses. You do have to be Army strong.

As a former company commander I was alternately ticked off and sympathetic to my young troops who innocently brought fiancee's and unaccompanied wives with them.

The Army is a hard life. Do the hard times first as a single soldier, then if you find it is the life for you bring her in.

But good luck I am proud of your service and wish you well

I totally agree.

When I was stationed in both Ft. Hood and Ft. Bragg, I had my husband stay back home for the first 2-3 months, when I was in the new base, until I got settled in. And then he would come down.

It does work out better that way.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:13 PM

76 posts, read 210,744 times
My son is considering joining the army as an 88M? Any opinions out there?

Old 08-08-2019, 07:11 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgttrunk View Post
All depends on what type of unit he get's assigned to. As a tanker, we wore out our 88M delivering ammo and fuel. Other guys talked about how life was much easier in pure transportation units. The problem with 88M is that they can end up in a lot of places.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:13 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgttrunk View Post
I retired from the U.S. Army in 1990 with 22 years service...

There are a lot of options and there are a lot of chosen options. I realize that is vague...

From the goarmy.com page:
https://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-j...-operator.html

Quote:
Motor Transport Operator (88M)

Enlisted Officer

Active Duty Army Reserve National Guard Entry Level

Overview

Motor transport operators are primarily responsible for supervising or operating wheel vehicles to transport personnel and cargo. They are the backbone of the Army’s support and sustainment structure, providing advanced mobility on and off the battlefield.
Job Duties

Operate all wheel vehicles and equipment over varied terrain and roadways
Manage load, unload, and safety of personnel being transported
Oversee and check proper loading and unloading of cargo on vehicles and trailers
Employ convoy defense techniques
Identify, correct or report all vehicle deficiencies
Prepare vehicle for movement/shipment by air, rail or vessel

Requirements

Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Training

Job training for a motor transport operator requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and seven weeks of Advanced Individual Training. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in simulation — yet over 200 training hours are spent in actual vehicles and field training environments.
There are a lot of options in the military, some of my opinions:
1. Put in for overseas assignments! You know where you are going, you know exactly how long you will be there...

2. Do not be afraid of volunteering to help.

4. Take advantage of educational programs.

5. You will meet a lot of other Soldiers and possibly other U.S. Military personnel. It never hurts to become friends.

6. Consider the future. (That can be difficult)...

7. Pay attention to what you are doing. Don't sulk. Be part of the unit.

8. You will most likely fondly remember your military career for the rest of your life. Make the best of all of it.
I don't know if that will help or not. That is my best opinion after one cup of coffee. Good luck to you!

Old 09-02-2019, 10:56 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle View Post
I beg to differ...

IF your wife wants medical, and the BAH of being married.. YES YES YES they have to be command sponsored. Korea is changing and bases are open for families moving there...

We just finished a tour in Germany where I was not command sponsored to be there (we did a HOP from Charleston SC to Spangdahlem GE) and then got Command Sponsored.

Being Command Sponsored means that your WIFE has to have an interview with a person from Medical seeing that they are mentally OKAY and medically fine to be overseas.

Just showing up does NOT mean you are good to go!

BTW ( we were stationed CONUS many many many miles away from a base)

AND - I visited him while he was stationed in Korea... visiting and living are TWO totally different things.
My husband has been in for going on 19 years. I have known several wives who went to Korea non-command sponsored, and not just for a visit. While I don'r recommend it, it does happen.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:15 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwild825 View Post
ok, i enlisted in the army and as soon i come home from training i will be leaving again for my first duty station. first off, what do i have to do for my fiancee can come with me. second, will i get to chose my first duty station.
i will be an MP if it helps any.
The only ways fiance can come is to move on his own, while you live in the dorms, at your expense. Fiance is a free citizen and can move whereever...

or get married.

No, you can't choose your first duty station.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:54 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwild825 View Post
ok, i enlisted in the army and as soon i come home from training i will be leaving again for my first duty station. first off, what do i have to do for my fiancee can come with me. second, will i get to chose my first duty station.
i will be an MP if it helps any.
you can on your first re-enlistment if memory serves.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:50 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
No, you can't choose your first duty station.
It is occasionally an option in the Army.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues