Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 09:57 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,303,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
I've never talked to / called anyone out on it, but I tend to see a LOT of homeless people on the side of the road, with signs that identify them as a vet ("Homeless Vet, anything helps" type signs)... Most of these people have long hair, beards, and aren't in the best of shape. On top of not really fitting the "military image", I'm pretty sure there's all sorts of programs to keep a roof over our vet's heads. I doubt (m)any true vets are homeless.
You've obviously never dealt with the VA. Don't get me wrong, there is help available for veterans; it's just hard to cut through all the red tape required to get it.

That being said, most homeless vets are homeless due to mental illness rather than an inability to secure housing. And yes, there are, unfortunately, many of them out there.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:32 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,028,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Vinh Long, just down the road from you, 611th, Tet '68...I was a contractor with LSI then, not military.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:34 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,518,992 times
I think so. I once worked with a guy who claimed very loudly and in braggart fashion to be a retired SEAL. Now I grew up in Virginia Beach, right next to Norfolk, where the East Coast teams are based and have known a few real SEALS and none of them bragged about it. In fact most of them never mentioned it. I only found out about one of them because I saw him in uniform wearing his Trident.

So this guy's attitude was a red flag for me. He also dissembled when I asked him which BUDS class he was in and who his swim buddy was. Sadly I can't recall this guy's name to do a check on him and report him if he is in fact a fake.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:53 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,228,635 times
One telltale sign is guys who talk about major operations they were in rather than simple stuff like where they were based out of. They read things in Soldier of Fortune magazine and pass it on as their personal experience. Anyone that glorifies their time in Vietnam was clearly never there. And yeah, I've met a lot of former "SEALS"...

Old 05-24-2012, 05:03 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,897,645 times
My future son-in-law is a fake veteran-even his mom didn't know until recently that he was dishonorably discharged from boot camp for drug use. He claims to be an ex-Army Ranger and cries about the things he had to do in Iraq. Sickening.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:34 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,275,632 times
In the book, "Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets" (and in the TV show based on it), there is a story about two guys who were drinking together at a bar and get into an argument. They pull knives and stab each other, both fatally.

When the police get there, the barmaid says that two guys had been drinking and talking peaceably, when they got to talking about their service in Vietnam. They started arguing about which one's unit had been the tougher unit, and the argument escalated until they killed each other.

When the police checked the dead guys' I.D.'s, they found that when the war in Vietnam ended, one of the guys was 13 and the other was 11.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,840,967 times
Quote:
I've never talked to / called anyone out on it, but I tend to see a LOT of homeless people on the side of the road, with signs that identify them as a vet ("Homeless Vet, anything helps" type signs)... Most of these people have long hair, beards, and aren't in the best of shape.
Gosh, you described me, except for on the side of the road, no sign, just walking a few dogs...

I was in good shape during my 22 continuous years in the U.S. Army. But old age, injuries, medical stuff has been taking a toll...

Never been on unemployment, welfare, disability, or inherited anything. I do get my Army retirement pay... I'm holding off on my Social Security till I need it.

Quote:
On top of not really fitting the "military image", I'm pretty sure there's all sorts of programs to keep a roof over our vet's heads. I doubt (m)any true vets are homeless.
Sorry, but you are incorrect there... Since I retired over 10 years ago I have probably met and helped over 100 homeless, down and out veterans... Some through the VA hospital, some through soup kitchens while I serve or clean tables. Most of them just need to talk, some just need a fresh cigarette. I suspect some would have been homless even if they had not been veterans... The VA has National Call Center for Homeless Veterans hotline. I have used it a few times to help someone. But it's not really that many homeless vets, just an estimated over 65,000 are homeless on any given night.

Quote:
And, regarding some of the older posts, I have noticed a lot of Vets who served in the 101st, and a lot of SEALS / Rangers / Marines / Green Berets / Airbornes... I was under the assumption that these weren't very common occupational specialties.
Airborne? My son was airborne qualified but was not in the Infantry or an Airborne unit... Marines, I am friends with maybe 20 or so. Have probably met 500 or more Marines... Not sure what the point really is. I think I will just shut up on trying to educate on the mentions units, qualified...

Yes, there are fakes out there. Don't assume every down n' out "Vet" is a fake...

Rich

Old 05-24-2012, 10:31 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,412,483 times
My Dad, a Vietnam vet...for years, did not even mention Vietnam. And he was severely disabled. Never spoke about his time there.

The ones who were out in the field there...are usually pretty quiet about it.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:38 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,571,607 times
My dad didn't tell me about his time in the Navy until after I returned from Desert Storm. He had worked on the flight deck off the coast of Vietnam. While he didn't see ground combat, he did see some stuff on the flight deck. One story he told me was kind of funny. His buddy went to the toilet. While on the throne a jet came in and crashed. Part of the jet hit the island structure and passed inches in front of the guy on the toilet. Fastest he ever dumped his load. Another wasn't so nice. His buddy didn't duck down in the pit in time when the arresting cable snapped and cut him in half. What was worse was his buddy was still alive and talking as he lay in two pieces before he eventually died.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:20 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,275,632 times
My brother is a Vietnam vet. Staff, in Saigon, no combat. No problem talking about his service.

My father was a WWII vet. Interpreted Italian for a while, then repaired P-47's. No problem talking about his service.

My grandfather was a WWI vet. Combat infantry. Trenches, barbed wire, machine guns, poison gas. Wouldn't say one word about his service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues