Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 08:09 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,087 times

Advertisements

I knew someone recently who retired and was really treated poorly by his boss - who capped it off by denying the guy ANY kind of medal/award, even though he busted his butt and had plenty of justification (mostly confirmed by co-workers, they were all PO'd too).

Basically he wanted to tell this POS where to get off and had thought about it the day of or day after his retirement, but was paranoid about some legal snag that could get you in trouble - I haven't spoken to him since he retired but it had me wondering, is there some kind of "cooling off period" specified in military contracts to prevent such things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 12:34 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,918 times
If I remember right, I was told that you were still under orders for a period of one month from your date of seperation to prevent just this sort of thing. Not sure if the time is right or if it is actually true, but that's what they told me.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:56 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,529,513 times
He's retired now; I'd just let it go and move on. There's a whole wonderful world awaiting after you take your uniform off!

Old 08-01-2009, 03:48 PM

204 posts, read 1,505,329 times
Default Let It Go And Move On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
He's retired now; I'd just let it go and move on. There's a whole wonderful world awaiting after you take your uniform off!
Letting go is the right thing to do. Here's the rationale: What goes around, comes around. Or, if you will; karma. If that won't suit you, try the "golden rule." You see, so many folks get tunnel vision and lose sight of the bigger picture: A military career isn't forever, it WILL end, sooner or later. The legacy left behind is far more important than the politics of backstabbing your way to the top. The minute you retire, nobody on the "outside" gives a rip about your "I love me" wall, certificates and awards. It's a new ball game, and the good you did for your troops will be the only satisfaction that matters.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:19 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,633 times
Did he have a retirement ceremony? If so unit leadership and above would have been asking many questions as to why someone is retiring and not receiving a decoration. Basically a lot of flags would have been raised. I wonder if there is more to the story?

Old 08-01-2009, 06:57 PM

Great post, Imagajad! I've found that my DD 214 and $4.50 will get me a Starbucks coffee...

Old 08-02-2009, 05:09 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,805,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMOGAJAD View Post
The minute you retire, nobody on the "outside" gives a rip about your "I love me" wall, certificates and awards. It's a new ball game, and the good you did for your troops will be the only satisfaction that matters.
Actually thats not true at all! I've had neighbors and employers comment on some of my awards and wanted to know the story behond them. Almost always they tell me "good job" or "thanks". It makes me very proud of myself.

I got out in 99, well before the new push to support our troops and never met anyone that didn't "give a rip" about it!

Old 08-02-2009, 11:13 AM

204 posts, read 1,505,329 times
Default Randy Travis Said It Best (Hope You're A Country Fan, Sir)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Actually thats not true at all! I've had neighbors and employers comment on some of my awards and wanted to know the story behond them. Almost always they tell me "good job" or "thanks". It makes me very proud of myself.

I got out in 99, well before the new push to support our troops and never met anyone that didn't "give a rip" about it!

"I guess it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go." While his subject matter was considerably more serious than the topic of this thread, SVTLightning, it still holds true. Thank you for your service, sir.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:56 PM

Good point, SVTLightning! The truth is probably somewhere inbetween. While I have had friends, coworkers and others express interest in my military "souvenirs' when they come to the house or when I tell them I served. And certainly I'm glad that our being involved in the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan has brought military service back in fashion (unlike after Viet Nam...) But I've also heard the stories about other ex-military that couldn't "take their uniforms off'; you know the type: Always wanting to work in a "war story" to the conversation. Seems inflexible, resistent to change, etc. I've also heard the comments from those that never served about my "fat cat" pension or how I'm "double dipping" because I have a second career.

In all fairness, none of the above is really that big of a deal in my life. I'm glad I served, wouldn't change a thing about my career and I'm enjoying my retirement immensely. Life is good!

Old 08-02-2009, 01:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
cant speak for service retirement have not done it but for civilian civil service smart move is to keep walking you are not out til you clear the parking lot dont look back say nothing -- many a guy has dropped the ball 5 yards from the goal post. just cash the monthy check that is your medal. buy your own gold watch with the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues