Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 11:41 PM

409 posts, read 2,634,690 times

Advertisements

I am finally going to MEPS next week after a few setbacks. For the people that did not read my other post here is my background. I have BBA in Economics, started a masters degree but did not finish it. I got an 80 on the AFQT. I am 25 years old. I am going AF Enlisted. I was told by Recruiter I can only choose 7 jobs from one specialty area. After a long time of consideration here is the list of my top Air Force Specialty Code Picks. (In order of Preference)

Contracting
Health Services Management
Electroni Signals Intelligence Explotation
ELECTRONIC SYSTEM SECURITY ASSESSMENT (CYBER SURETY)
Network Intelligence Analyst
Bioenviromental Engineering
CYBER SYSTEMS OPERATIONS
Imagery Analysis
Cryptologic Linguist
Financial Management
Weather
Public Affairs
Airborne Cryptologic Linguist

I hope I get a specialty code that is very broad and lets me do different things. I would rally like to make a career out of my enlistment. I am planning on later on applying for Officer, but for now I will go enlisted. Just so I don't go to MEPS with no idea of what is going to happen what are some pointers you can give me?

1. What is the benefit of enlisting for 6 years, instead of 4?

2. Before I sign a contract that states what my actual job will be, am I entitled to deny the first job they offer me or am I stuck?

3. If in the beginning I request to be stationed abroad, does it affect what job they will pick for me?

4. Is it ok to seek better deals with other branches of the military while on the DEP?

5. From the jobs I selected on the list, which have more possibilities of being stationed abroad?

I know not everyone will be able to answer all my questions but whatever info and pointers you can give me are welcome. This is my first time going to MEPS and I want to be well informed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 06:51 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,463,216 times
With your BA degree, if I were you, I'd work in health care - possibly you could earn your commission and work in the medical administration field. But you're talking to an ex-Army nurse.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:37 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
My two cents about your first 2 questions.

1. Not sure how it is now, but when I was in you usually got a bonus for signing up for 6. The people who signed up for 6 years usually had a very long school.
2. Not really. It sounds like you already signed up for DEP and you could actually be called to active duty now (never been done that I know of). Also, remember that no matter what your contract says there are no "guaranteed" jobs. You go where the service needs dictate.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
My two cents about your first 2 questions.

1. Not sure how it is now, but when I was in you usually got a bonus for signing up for 6. The people who signed up for 6 years usually had a very long school.
2. Not really. It sounds like you already signed up for DEP and you could actually be called to active duty now (never been done that I know of). Also, remember that no matter what your contract says there are no "guaranteed" jobs. You go where the service needs dictate.
Thank you for the feed back. I dont think I am signed up in DEP yet because I have not even gone through MEPS. I havent signed anything yet, other than my background and credit check forms.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:43 PM

116 posts, read 353,083 times
Just FYI on some of the things Health Services Management entails in the Air Force - Medical Records, Medical Administration (front desk), Admissions & Dispositions, Resource Management, Medical Readiness, Medical Information Systems (IF the Comm group for the base is not in charge). It is broad if that's what you are looking for. As long as there is a clinic, they are needed. If you have your degree make sure you go in as an E-3! You sure you want to go enlisted - just saying with the degree you can be an officer. Another medical field you may want to look at is Biomedical Equipment Technician (medical maintenance). Good luck!

Old 02-20-2010, 02:45 PM

116 posts, read 353,083 times
I forgot, if there is a specific job you really want, make sure it goes on the contract. Don't sign until you're confident and ready. Do NOT list "Open General". That means they can pick whatever they want for you (as long as you qualify for it).

Old 02-20-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZ_098 View Post
I forgot, if there is a specific job you really want, make sure it goes on the contract. Don't sign until you're confident and ready. Do NOT list "Open General". That means they can pick whatever they want for you (as long as you qualify for it).
Thanks for the advice. About the contract. The seven options the recruiter told me I was going to have are going to be listed in the contract? Or They choose one of the jobs I chose first and write only that one in the contract?

Old 02-20-2010, 06:36 PM

645 posts, read 1,965,098 times
1. I wouldn't sign up for 6 years if I were you. Usually the advantage of enlisting for 6 years is that you'll go in as an E-3 (A1C), but since you have a degree you'll come in as an A1C anyway. A 4 year enlistment you'll be able to get out or cross train to another AFSC sooner. You never know, you might not like your job and want to do something else. Also if you enlist with a job that "usually" has a reenlistment bonus, you'll make more in bonus money over the course of your career.

2. You might not be able to get a guaranteed job. It just depends on what you qualify for and what's available. The Air Force doesn't need you. It's a buyers market and you're a seller.

3. What's more important, getting a job that you want and like or being stationed abroad? Remember this phrase, "The needs of the Air Force comes first."

4. I guarantee all of the other services will give you a better deal than the Air Force, but there's a reason for that. You won't regret joining the Air Force, you might regret joining another service.

5. Every single one of those jobs can be stationed abroad, but that doesn't mean you'll be stationed abroad on your first enlistment, remember .... "The needs of the Air Force comes first."

Nobody knows anything about all your choices, not even the recruiter. I'm familiar with a few and here is my opinion of them.

Contracting - Huge Reenlistment bonuses, usually the max

Electroni Signals Intelligence Explotation - Cool Job, Top Secret Stuff

Network Intelligence Analyst - Cool Job, Top Secret Stuff

Imagery Analysis - Intel, Cool job
Cryptologic Linguist - Very difficult job, You'll have to take the DLAB, to even see if you have the aptitude to qualify for this job. Training is around 2 years long. Basically you'll learn a foreign language. Requires a Top Secret Clearance. The disadvantage to this job is that depending on your language there is only a few bases you can go to.

Financial Management - boring

Airborne Cryptologic Linguist - Very cool, job

Last edited by gumbo31; 02-20-2010 at 06:46 PM..

Old 02-20-2010, 07:59 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,994 times
I've heard that the Army is the only Branch that will guarantee you a specific job.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:35 PM

664 posts, read 1,947,147 times
Is there a reason your going in enlisted vs officer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues