Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 10:06 PM

236 posts, read 615,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Right, well I guess I have a more positive outlook, so shoot me.

wonder how your outlook would be if you were blocked from (livable wage paying)employment because of your skin color
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 06:41 AM

86 posts, read 307,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioninaconcretejungle View Post
wonder how your outlook would be if you were blocked from (livable wage paying)employment because of your skin color
I wonder how your outlook would be if you weren't the most negative poster in the history of internet message boards...

Old 06-07-2008, 11:40 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
I'm not going to argue w/you, you seem to have a beef w/whatever, I don't. I'm trying to have a good outlook on this city & you're trying to beat that down. I'm sick of negativity.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:33 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
It's quite obvious to me and other "outsiders" who are trying to learn more about the great city of Milwaukee that you live in a community that has its fair share of problems yet is making a promising comeback after years of neglect. Ordinarily I'd welcome people making some negative comments about a city because those seeking relocation advice want not only the good, but they also want the bad, and the UGLY. However, "Lion" seems to just have a personal vendetta against the city because he (I'm assuming he's a male given the level of aggression expressed here), has perceived himself to be the victim of racism. I live in Scranton, PA and have been the victim of homophobia as an openly-gay male. Do I hold it against the city? Not at all. I know that for every one white-trash hillbilly nitwit there are a few other decent, kind, hard-working people. The same could be said for Milwaukee. For every one racist jerk who is making life miserable for Lion, there should be several others who are working to bridge the racial divide present in our nation right underneath his nose.

One thing for sure is thanks to all of the "boosters" Milwaukee has I now would like to take a two-week-long vacation after my college graduation next year to scout out Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, Minneapolis/St. Paul, and Duluth to experience all that the Upper Midwest has to offer. Optimism is contagious, but let us also not forget that pessimism is infectious. You'll attract more "flies" (new investors) into your fair city with "honey" (positive press) than with vinegar (negativity/city-bashing). Why do you think I champion Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA incessantly on this forum? My fat yap has attracted new investment here, and I'm happy about that. I'm also ecstatic to see so many people so happy to be living in Milwaukee and making other potential new residents feel welcomed.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:37 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
I highly doubt your skin color is the reason why you have not been able to succeed in life. Just look upthread at that other well-read and respectable "person of color" who was self-taught and chastised inner-city youths in your city for their thug attitudes. If he was able to make a go of it in your city, then why not you? I'm an openly-gay male in a very upscale, conservative, outer suburban area of New York City. Do I blame the relatively high local level of homophobia on being unable to secure an accounting internship? No. I blame President Bush for destroying our nation's economic integrity (but that's a topic for a political thread).

The "blame game" gets old. I blame myself and only myself for most problems I currently have in my life. It's not always "someone else's fault."

Old 06-07-2008, 07:00 PM

153 posts, read 565,863 times
Quote:
It seems like some of you completely ignore about half of the city of Milwaukee (high crime,high unemployment,high poverty areas).To state that cities that have 1/4th the crime rate of Milwaukee's makes its inner city look like ''Beverly Hills'' is laughable and doesnt make sense at all.Milwaukee is in fact one of Americas most dangerous big cities.
I think it's starting to turn around. The homicide rate is down 50% from this time last year.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:23 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Somone just posted a list on another thread that listed the 25 safest town/cities & the 25 most dangerous cities to live in the U.S.-I forget where they got the info from. Anyway, there were SIX from our state in the top 25 safest....and ZERO in the top 25 most dangerous. Not even Milwaukee was listed in that dangerous list. Now I was surprised by that, but hey, that's something, isn't it? So I guess it isn't as horrifically bad as we all thought.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:41 AM

160 posts, read 629,418 times
As someone who is soon moving to the area from Oregon, I have done my research on Milwaukee, and the safe/dangerous factor. Racism is alive in this country, that is a given. Remember when pointing fingers at others, there are always three fingers pointing back at you. "Lion", I am so sorry that you feel you have been attacked, so what are you going to do about it to change it? You, as the rest of us, have a choice as to where we live, and how we are going to live. Our attitudes on life have a lot to do with how we are treated by others.

My sister told her boys as they were growing up that college wasn't important, that they would be able to get great jobs without an education. This was said because of the money factor, her low income as a single parent and her learning disability. She told me they would never have anything better than blue collar jobs. What an injustice, because anyone, and I mean anyone can get an education if they put their mind to it. I told my children they would get a college education, because unfortunately the days of just finding a good job is over. With two through school, and the last one in his Junior year of college, they are successfully joining the workforce. I will also add, they had to finance their own education, thank God for financial aid.

I can only hope that moving to Wisconsin will not be a mistake, after all we are leaving beautiful Oregon. We are choosing to look at it as an adventure, and are looking forward to meeting many new people with lots to offer. We should have kept the boat though with all of the flooding going on.....lol

Good luck to you "Lion", I hope you find your peace.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:40 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlusting View Post
I think it's starting to turn around. The homicide rate is down 50% from this time last year.
Milwaukee's new Chief of Police Ed Flynn is already in my running for "local figure of the year"...that guy has been absolutely amazing in his first few months on the job.

Let's hope he keeps up his aggressive stance on going after the bad guys. So far things seem to be improving.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:49 PM

160 posts, read 629,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Milwaukee's new Chief of Police Ed Flynn is already in my running for "local figure of the year"...that guy has been absolutely amazing in his first few months on the job.

Let's hope he keeps up his aggressive stance on going after the bad guys. So far things seem to be improving.

Glad to hear it!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee