Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 11:42 PM

676 posts, read 961,685 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee...I grew up there, and it's always amazed me how nobody outside of the Midwest seems to know a thing about it. It's a decently sized city (2 million in the metro area), but it's in the shadow of Chicago, due to proximity no doubt. What have you heard about it? What are your thoughts of it? For those of you who have visited, would you recommend it to others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 11:48 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,439,815 times
I have never been. What we hear out here in CA is that you guys have great beer and a nice setting on the lake. That is about it. I actually can't even really think of what its skyline looks like. It isn't even talked too much about here on the forums. I would love to see some pics

Old 11-29-2008, 11:51 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
Beer, brats, bucks, brewers, UWM.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:27 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
The Bucs, beer/breweries, Laverne and Shirley, Calatrava's addition to the museum, Marquette University, Golda Meir (it was in the NY Times crossword a few weeks ago that she grew up there)

Old 11-30-2008, 12:30 AM

668 posts, read 2,358,713 times
Packer fans, grrrrr...

Old 11-30-2008, 12:41 AM

60 posts, read 172,333 times
The Fonz, That 70's show, Cheese.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:43 AM

60 posts, read 172,333 times
I would like to hear more about Milwaukee though. It sounds a similar to Pittsburgh in some ways.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:45 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
I think of the Brewers but other than that I never ever hear anything about it. When I hear Marquette I also think about it and I think Jeffrey Dahmer did some killings there but I could be wrong.

Milwaukee does deserve some respect and I couldnt even pick its skyline out even though I could many smaller cities.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:06 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Marquette University, Washington Highlands, Lincoln Memorial Drive, Lake Drive, Lake Park, Shorewood, UWM, Prospect Avenue, Brady Street, Elm Grove, Wauwatosa, Marquette Warriors, Al McGuire, The Performing Arts Center, Music For Youth I, II, III, The Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, Capitol Court, Northridge, Whitefish Bay, Fox Point, Bay Shore, South Side, North Side, Mayfair Mall, Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company, Capitol Drive, Wisconsin Avenue, Burleigh Street, North Point, North Avenue, Center Street, Sherman Boulevard, Dineen Park, Washington Park, Brookfield, Mequon, County Stadium, Milwaukee Bucks, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers, Miller Brewery, Bratwurst, Angelo's Pizza, Lakefront, The Milwaukee Conservatory, St. Mary's Hospital, Juneau Park, Clybourn Street, Kilbourn Street, Wells Avenue, State Street, Boston Store, Kosher Jews, Germans, Polish on the South Side, and the P.E.X store on Wisconsin Avenue.

Milwaukee has a lot of good about it and is a unique place, separate from Chicago. It's got plenty of bad too, but there are plenty of good people there who try to maintain this old midwestern city as a traditional hard-working place to call home. It is currently where my dad resides as he struggles with the beginning stages of dementia, while staying for the time being with one of my brothers there. A bit melancholy on my recent visit to see him and when I think of Milwaukee, my heart wanders to him.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:52 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Marquette University, Washington Highlands, Lincoln Memorial Drive, Lake Drive, Lake Park, Shorewood, UWM, Prospect Avenue, Brady Street, Elm Grove, Wauwatosa, Marquette Warriors, Al McGuire, The Performing Arts Center, Music For Youth I, II, III, The Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, Capitol Court, Northridge, Whitefish Bay, Fox Point, Bay Shore, South Side, North Side, Mayfair Mall, Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company, Capitol Drive, Wisconsin Avenue, Burleigh Street, North Point, North Avenue, Center Street, Sherman Boulevard, Dineen Park, Washington Park, Brookfield, Mequon, County Stadium, Milwaukee Bucks, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers, Miller Brewery, Bratwurst, Angelo's Pizza, Lakefront, The Milwaukee Conservatory, St. Mary's Hospital, Juneau Park, Clybourn Street, Kilbourn Street, Wells Avenue, State Street, Boston Store, Kosher Jews, Germans, Polish on the South Side, and the P.E.X store on Wisconsin Avenue.

Milwaukee has a lot of good about it and is a unique place, separate from Chicago. It's got plenty of bad too, but there are plenty of good people there who try to maintain this old midwestern city as a traditional hard-working place to call home. It is currently where my dad resides as he struggles with the beginning stages of dementia, while staying for the time being with one of my brothers there. A bit melancholy on my recent visit to see him and when I think of Milwaukee, my heart wanders to him.
What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee