Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 04:26 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
It's very dry in California and there are alot of Californians moving to Atlanta. I don't think humidity is the biggest issue.

BTW, I'm African-American and I can't stand the humidity in Atlanta.

And there has been a bit of a "mini-migration" of African-Americans to the Twin Cities over the last 30 years, mainly from other parts of the Midwest.

The out-of-state migration, as a whole, to Minneapolis or St. Paul isn't as large as other states though.

I think it's safe to say that the majority of African-Americans relocating to MN are from Chicago or parts of the deep south
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 04:38 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
I think it's safe to say that the majority of African-Americans relocating to MN are from Chicago or parts of the deep south
My aunt left her hometown in Louisiana in the late 1960's and went to Mpls. She has lived there ever since, started a family, and I have cousins from Mpls. Mpls is my aunt's new home.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
That is NOT safe to say. MANY are from Gary, Detoit, Milwaukee, KC, St. Louis, Omaha and then Southern states like Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia (believe it or not), and Florida.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:47 AM

335 posts, read 675,462 times
the population of minneapolis i would think is atleast around 425,000 with all the illigals. so even if it reaches 500,000 it might not show in the statistics.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:06 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Both Minneapolis and St. Paul are unique in the sense that they are cities that are land locked. There is no room for annexation/sprawl growth so much of the city's future growth must come in new families and dense development.

I wish Minneapolis was a city of a little bit more density (even though it's already pretty dense) and with more residnets to maybe attract more national recognition.
Actually, there's plenty of room for sprawl. The situation of MSP makes it an ideal candidate to sprawl out.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:32 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith21 View Post
the population of minneapolis i would think is atleast around 425,000 with all the illigals. so even if it reaches 500,000 it might not show in the statistics.
Buddy, did you know that bad spelling on the Internetz is illegal? If you're going to spout your stupid racist drivel, at least spell it correctly.

Bad spellnx iz for Lusers. Stop it, yoo idjit!

Old 10-21-2011, 06:37 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith21 View Post
The Census bureau attempts to count everyone--including illegal immigrants--so it's likely these are included Minneapolis' statistics. Even if they aren't, you're suggesting that there are nearly 50,000 unaccounted for in Minneapolis. That number seems a bit high to go unnoticed.

I have wondered about undercounting of some groups, though. During my years in Minneapolis--and it might have to do with being around the University, Northeast, and Downtown areas, and also taking public transportation--it always seemed like there were a lot more Somalis, other African-Americans, and Hispanics than the statistics say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer
Actually, there's plenty of room for sprawl. The situation of MSP makes it an ideal candidate to sprawl out.
I think Kid Cann was specifically referring to Minneapolis and St. Paul and not the metro area as a whole. They are fairly suburban in nature compared to some other, larger cities and can't annex any more land like many cities (especially in Texas, I believe) do to achieve growth. Instead, they have to simply become more dense.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:21 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Actually, Minneapolis is a pretty dense city. It's more dense than Detroit and almost just as dense as Seattle. But I agree, for MPLS to grow, the city needs to get more dense and build UP.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:19 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Actually, Minneapolis is a pretty dense city. It's more dense than Detroit and almost just as dense as Seattle. But I agree, for MPLS to grow, the city needs to get more dense and build UP.
Is Detroit really even a good comparison? This is the city that is pretty much known for being the automobile capital of the world, so I'm sure most of it was built to suit. Not to mention the fact that a good chunk of the city has been razed, leaving a lot of empty space. We're talking about a city that lost 230,000 people in the last decade!

That said, it is obvious that becoming more dense is really one of the only options, with the city probably near full development (except in some old industrial zones, I'm sure).

Another option that could work is to increase family size in current housing. By that, I don't just mean more people having children and cramming into a house. Rather, Minneapolis is known for having a large amount of single people who live alone. If families were encouraged to move in, it would be possible to triple the occupancy of many apartments. This will be difficult is there aren't enough 2 and especially 3 bedroom places, however. Otherwise, the incentive is to find a single family home in the city or move out to the suburbs.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:25 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Is Detroit really even a good comparison? This is the city that is pretty much known for being the automobile capital of the world, so I'm sure most of it was built to suit. Not to mention the fact that a good chunk of the city has been razed, leaving a lot of empty space. We're talking about a city that lost 230,000 people in the last decade!

That said, it is obvious that becoming more dense is really one of the only options, with the city probably near full development (except in some old industrial zones, I'm sure).

Another option that could work is to increase family size in current housing. By that, I don't just mean more people having children and cramming into a house. Rather, Minneapolis is known for having a large amount of single people who live alone. If families were encouraged to move in, it would be possible to triple the occupancy of many apartments. This will be difficult is there aren't enough 2 and especially 3 bedroom places, however. Otherwise, the incentive is to find a single family home in the city or move out to the suburbs.
Or houses -- many of the larger single-family homes in Uptown (and elsewhere, I just am most familiar with the houses in Uptown) are occupied by empty nesters. With time more of them will choose to downsize (those houses are BIG), and new families move in. In Uptown, however, the problem is cost; the houses aren't cheap, so many families with young kids can't afford them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul