Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 08:02 AM

106 posts, read 239,016 times

Advertisements

Yeah but the thing about Chicago is that the entire south side is about the size of Minneapolis. Development in DT Chicago has been serious. All Minneapolis has to do is provide the image that the city is livable and then watch the boom happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Ah yes, the revitalization of Chicago is impressive indeed -- 200,000+ people left the city in the past 10 years, while the exurbs like Elgin, Aurora, Joliet, etc. saw SUBSTANTIAL growth (they are 50 miles away from the city too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 04:40 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City eYes View Post
Yeah but the thing about Chicago is that the entire south side is about the size of Minneapolis. Development in DT Chicago has been serious. All Minneapolis has to do is provide the image that the city is livable and then watch the boom happen.
Crime is much lower, lower unemployment levels. Minneapolis is probably more livable than Chicago. Unfortunately, the majority of population growth is occurring in the Sun Belt region,and mainly for its warmer weather. If I mention Minneapolis to some people in Atlanta(not all, but enough people), there is a negative connotation, and the main reason is the climate. I mentioned Minneapolis to one woman. Her response: "Minneapolis is a place to be if you want to commit suicide". Her words. MPLS can't do anything about the climate, but you can' attract winter enthusiasts to Minneapolis. Another idea is to attract artists.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:30 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Crime is much lower, lower unemployment levels. Minneapolis is probably more livable than Chicago. Unfortunately, the majority of population growth is occurring in the Sun Belt region,and mainly for its warmer weather. If I mention Minneapolis to some people in Atlanta(not all, but enough people), there is a negative connotation, and the main reason is the climate. I mentioned Minneapolis to one woman. Her response: "Minneapolis is a place to be if you want to commit suicide". Her words. MPLS can't do anything about the climate, but you can' attract winter enthusiasts to Minneapolis. Another idea is to attract artists.
Atlanta wasn't considered a weather paradise until VERY recently. Most people consider Atlanta weather as terrible up North. My point is that you can change people's perception in other, positive, ways like you mentioned.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Atlanta wasn't considered a weather paradise until VERY recently. Most people consider Atlanta weather as terrible up North. My point is that you can change people's perception in other, positive, ways like you mentioned.
Air condition was a factor. Even with the air conditioning, I don't particularly like the summers in Atlanta.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:46 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,506 times
Quote:
That's a sad but very believable commentary on people's perceptions of the twin Cities nationally. Face it, we're often the focus of news whenever there's a cold front, but I doubt if they reference our weather when its mild or when its nice in the summer. Combine that with the our most memorable film appearance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJUvPZI3Cr4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhEyH...eature=related

and you got yourself an image issue.

I think it was better in the '70s, when we had our own positive image marketing every week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBTWF1bDPn0

Old 03-29-2011, 03:00 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,673,910 times
I always think of an Episode of Entourage.

Johnny Drama gets offered a job- a role in a new TV series CSI: Minneapolis. He gives a look like "CSI: MPLS, that isn't that bad" and then his agent goes on to say "..BUT.. it takes place in Vancouver" and he gives even more of a lost/confused look.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
That's a sad but very believable commentary on people's perceptions of the twin Cities nationally. Face it, we're often the focus of news whenever there's a cold front, but I doubt if they reference our weather when its mild or when its nice in the summer. Combine that with the our most memorable film appearance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJUvPZI3Cr4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhEyH...eature=related

and you got yourself an image issue.

I think it was better in the '70s, when we had our own positive image marketing every week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBTWF1bDPn0
I haven't watched either, but there seems to be a snow-phobia for some people. The only Minneapolis-based film I have watched is Mighty Ducks.

When I visited Minneapolis, it was the summer, so it was warm outside. I didn't see any snow, not that I would mind. The fact is, alot of people don't want to live in place with alot of snow, or cold temperatures. Part of why Atlanta has been growing like mushrooms on a log. Alot of people like Atlanta's winter. Interestingly enough, it seems like few Minnesotans are moving to the Atlanta area.I know a few, but the majority of out of staters are from the Boswash region, Chicagoland, and Ohio, as far as northern locations go. We have Californians and Floridians here.
Minneapolis, however, is not attracting as much migration from other states as it could attract considering some of the benefits.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:15 PM

290 posts, read 547,449 times
Quote:
Part of why Atlanta has been growing like mushrooms on a log. Alot of people like Atlanta's winter. Interestingly enough, it seems like few Minnesotans are moving to the Atlanta area.I know a few, but the majority of out of staters are from the Boswash region, Chicagoland, and Ohio, as far as northern locations go. We have Californians and Floridians here.
Minneapolis, however, is not attracting as much migration from other states as it could attract considering some of the benefits.

Atlanta and other southern cities have been growing partly because of a recent move by blacks back to the places where their families were rooted. I've read several articles about this. I think the reason you don't see many Minnesotans moving there is the humidity. Minnesotans weren't built in a way to handle it.

MN is just too unknown by most people to get them to even think about moving there. I think the biggest attractant might be certain jobs from some of the Fortune 500 companies. But none of that represents a major flow of people. It's not going to happen anytime soon.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:20 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,721 times
Default I hope so!

Both Minneapolis and St. Paul are unique in the sense that they are cities that are land locked. There is no room for annexation/sprawl growth so much of the city's future growth must come in new families and dense development.

I wish Minneapolis was a city of a little bit more density (even though it's already pretty dense) and with more residnets to maybe attract more national recognition.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
Atlanta and other southern cities have been growing partly because of a recent move by blacks back to the places where their families were rooted. I've read several articles about this. I think the reason you don't see many Minnesotans moving there is the humidity. Minnesotans weren't built in a way to handle it.

MN is just too unknown by most people to get them to even think about moving there. I think the biggest attractant might be certain jobs from some of the Fortune 500 companies. But none of that represents a major flow of people. It's not going to happen anytime soon.
It's very dry in California and there are alot of Californians moving to Atlanta. I don't think humidity is the biggest issue.

BTW, I'm African-American and I can't stand the humidity in Atlanta.

And there has been a bit of a "mini-migration" of African-Americans to the Twin Cities over the last 30 years, mainly from other parts of the Midwest.

The out-of-state migration, as a whole, to Minneapolis or St. Paul isn't as large as other states though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul