Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:39 PM

9,751 posts, read 11,176,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontbewillful View Post
I bought a 4 bedroom home just off Victory Memorial in Minneapolis last fall. I put in a nice fence this spring, paid someone $2500 to refinish the floors, and put in some sweat equity of my own, and everyone who comes to my house (in one of the safest neighborhoods in Minneapolis) raves about it, even without seeing the "before" pictures. I will throw my hat firmly in the "there are plenty of nice single family homes below $150k" arena.

I guess my idea of a nice home and a nice neighborhood is one where there is variety and parks and a nice mix of neighbors who watch out for each other. Someone else's cup of tea may be a development in a suburb where every house is a like and there's association fees. Just because someone else has a different idea of "nice neighborhood" than I do doesn't mean that I live in an area with rusted out cars or crap in the front lawn. "Different" does not necessarily equal "worse."

You could not PAY me to live in a "nice, neat suburb."
I don't know your neighborhood so I'll take your word for it.

We agree. I would not like to be in a development where you choose you shade of vinyl tan siding. At the same token, drive by Mound and you will see what I am talking about. I hate crap in peoples yard with a bunch of parked cars in the yard. One home is nicely maintained while the other one has siding missing. But like you say, to each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 11:35 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,100,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
Sorry I am still getting used to posting here and I am not sure what happened to the website link to Standard and Poors
For a period of time you can also re-edit messages and play with things until they work the way you want. FYI, anyway. It takes a while to learn the ropes of this forum software, but it's not too bad.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:58 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,066,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Unless you are self-employed, layoffs are always possible.
Well ya, but I meant if you're seriously in danger of being laid off, then buying isn't a good idea.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:01 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,066,937 times
Well if there is 1 house on the street in crappy shape or someone with junk in the yard how does it make the neighborhood bad? And why would you care. If the whole neighborhood is like that then I wouldn't want to live there, but if its only a couple houses, how does it affect anything?

Old 07-24-2010, 04:01 AM

9,751 posts, read 11,176,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Well if there is 1 house on the street in crappy shape or someone with junk in the yard how does it make the neighborhood bad? And why would you care. If the whole neighborhood is like that then I wouldn't want to live there, but if its only a couple houses, how does it affect anything?
The neighborhood isn't "bad" but an eyesore. There are a lot of people like me that would not reach for their checkbook if they say junk in the yard(s) and an crappy maintained home(s). That's why other neighborhoods have covenants. Therefore your resale value will go down because of the lower amount of overall buyers.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]If it is really is one home out of a 100 that is one thing. But if that home was your next door neighbor, your value could suffer. I don’t like to live near trash (any kind).[/SIZE]

Old 07-24-2010, 11:22 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,708,726 times
I am a mid 20's something guy, I have a full-time decent paying job, with just student loan debt, do I have any chance what-so-ever at buying a home

Old 07-24-2010, 01:37 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,837,372 times
Nrogers- tough decision. Homes are a lot of work, and one potential downfall for you is that it seems like you're looking for a home with a significant amount of space/amenities (in the form of bathrooms, other rooms, etc.), which you're more likely to find in move-in condition for under 150K in areas like Shakopee or Prior Lake which, in my opinion, would be the worst decision investment-wise you could make and would be really disadvantageous in terms of commute times as a law student- outside of being able to get more square footage for the money, neither of those suburbs have anything too great to warrant someone to want to do that kind of commute, and (in my very laymen's perspective) I think the far-away mass-developed split foyer developments are going to have some of the lowest rates of appreciation in coming years (and i've heard several horror stories about persons trying unsuccessfully to 'dump' their homes in shakopee).

As for which of those areas might have the best potential to have an uptick in values in the next 7-10 years, I mentioned in another thread of yours that (again, in my non-expert opinion) I think Robbinsdale and Richfield would be your best bets for the following reasons: (1) the significant number of younger families/couples/single buyers I've known (or seen) targeting both areas in recent years which isn't likely to abruptly change anytime soon; (2) their close proximity to the city, major transportation routes, and other amenities; and (3) what in my mind seems to be both of these areas previously straddling the boundaries of, but now moving more and more towards, being viewed as "desirable areas" vs. "potentially declining suburbs".

The other suburbs (New Hope, Crystal) are nice/fine but don't usually register on too many people's radars- although for whatever reason it seems like New Hope enjoys a slightly better rep than its very-similar neighbor of Crystal.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:37 PM

617 posts, read 1,203,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
I am a mid 20's something guy, I have a full-time decent paying job, with just student loan debt, do I have any chance what-so-ever at buying a home
I say it depends on certain things. Like how long have you had the job, how big of a loan do you need, if you could afford making a hefty down-payment, your credit score, and how much student loan debt you have. I'd say look into it. It could end up being cheaper than renting depending on the house. It's a shame the tax credit expired though.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:14 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,136,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
The neighborhood isn't "bad" but an eyesore. There are a lot of people like me that would not reach for their checkbook if they say junk in the yard(s) and an crappy maintained home(s). That's why other neighborhoods have covenants. Therefore your resale value will go down because of the lower amount of overall buyers.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]If it is really is one home out of a 100 that is one thing. But if that home was your next door neighbor, your value could suffer. I don’t like to live near trash (any kind).[/SIZE]
Not me. In fact, I think that actually might be an advantage, as I know that either the community is not "protected" by restrictive covenants, or they are not enforced.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:12 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,886,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
I say it depends on certain things. Like how long have you had the job, how big of a loan do you need, if you could afford making a hefty down-payment, your credit score, and how much student loan debt you have. I'd say look into it. It could end up being cheaper than renting depending on the house. It's a shame the tax credit expired though.
Just to build on that a little....your FICO score wraps up most of this. Assuming you don't have excellent credit, you pay a slight premium for your loan. Then you pay another premium because (and I'm assuming) you'll need an FHA loan because you don't have 20% down payment. If all of those things are in place and you can put AT LEAST 5% down, you can probably find someone who will give you that loan. But not for long, IMO, as I feel that lending agencies will start to raise the standards some once we start crawling out of this recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul