Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:17 PM

9,871 posts, read 11,280,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Maybe your high school doesn't but a LOT of kids around here take the classes. They even offer some classes right in the high schools around here. Schools don't lose revenue because the students are still considered high school students-the credits double count for high school and college. It isn't part of the "open enrollment" plan either.

I have never checked what the breakout of the dollars (who gets what). I do know that the college gets paid for PSEO credits but not at their normal rate.

My Son will no longer attend the high school for any classes his last two years. I'd be surprised that MN would pay $$'s to both the college and the high school unless they split the funds. In that case, the district does lose some revenue. I'd guess the lion share of the funds go to whatever school supplies the education.

There are College In The School classes as well as AP classes. The problem is our district went to a Trimesters system and it's nearly impossible to get the schedules to align. It’s tough the way it is with semester based systems (the calendars don’t start and stop the same). So the classes are free and he will graduate from high school with two years + of his generals and advanced classes complete.

If you are strategic, you can take summer classes that specifically cover both high school as well as your college generals. Those fees can then be written off as educational expenses. If they are college only classes, they cannot be written off. So the plan if for him to take two more classes next summer that fill high school requirements. He loves the idea but my wallet likes it even better!
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 05:38 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,481,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I have never checked what the breakout of the dollars (who gets what). I do know that the college gets paid for PSEO credits but not at their normal rate.

My Son will no longer attend the high school for any classes his last two years. I'd be surprised that MN would pay $$'s to both the college and the high school unless they split the funds. In that case, the district does lose some revenue. I'd guess the lion share of the funds go to whatever school supplies the education.

There are College In The School classes as well as AP classes. The problem is our district went to a Trimesters system and it's nearly impossible to get the schedules to align. It’s tough the way it is with semester based systems (the calendars don’t start and stop the same). So the classes are free and he will graduate from high school with two years + of his generals and advanced classes complete.

If you are strategic, you can take summer classes that specifically cover both high school as well as your college generals. Those fees can then be written off as educational expenses. If they are college only classes, they cannot be written off. So the plan if for him to take two more classes next summer that fill high school requirements. He loves the idea but my wallet likes it even better!
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
We are on trimesters (which I LOVE) and it works out just fine with the CIS classes. The kids just overlap first tri and second tri by a couple weeks (second tri starts around Dec 1st). They take classes during second tri and part of 3rd tri for their second semester and finish up the school year with the CIS classes early. It isn't much of an issue. For the PESO kids they just generally don't take their on campus class from mid-Dec to mid Jan and pick it up again when the new semester starts for the college. They finish mid-May as well. Many of the kids take AP, PESO and CIS classes. It's pretty common. I like the CIS classes better because they can still be in high school yet get the college credits. Most of the college bound kids graduate with 1-2 years of college credit under their belts so that is nice too.

The districts really don't lose revenue. They still get the funding they normally get, much like open enrolled kids, but since they don't have to pay salaries and building costs they save money in the long run, or at least break even, for kids taking PESO classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul