Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 11:27 AM

9,816 posts, read 11,200,038 times

Advertisements

I agree with golfgal on buying in a better school district assuming the district is not-so-good.

The Saint Francis school district bought junk bonds and lost money in the 90's. They lost the publics trust and they cannot seem to pass a levy to save their life. I'd hate to be selling my home with that bad rap. Most families will not select that boundry even with the a savings on the home. For instance, some Andover people have St. Francis school boundries. That area really does weed out a lot of people who have Kid's. You will notice real estate ads touting what school district a home is in. It's important to a lot of people.

My children are done with high school per say (PSEO). I'd still vote to keep the funding up to protect my resale value. That being said, I suppose some people would hesitate to go to Anoka District 11 schools. Personally, I was very pleased. So no matter what district you chose I'll bet it is better than most other states.

Involved parents ==better test scores. But I'd predict if you are involved as a parent your son or daughter will do very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 12:15 PM

812 posts, read 2,175,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
That is true, but not always. If there are openings you can open enroll, however, there is also the good chance that your kids get all the way through say, 10th grade and there is no more room and you have to put your kids back in their home district. This is going to be especially more common as the state keeps cutting funding to schools. Even with open enrollment your home values will suffer if you aren't in a good school district.
Once you are accepted for open enrollment you are a part of that district until you choose to leave it barring issues like truancy. They don't just send you back home.

Perhaps you're thinking of a temporary enrollment which has been done after the lottery with families where they're up front that it's only for one year.

Admittedly the home values won't be as high outside of the premier districts when they go to sell it but they won't pay as much to begin with. With a budet of $150k it's not realistic to go a premier district, you can buy in another, and still be able to sell a home when the time comes.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=124D.03

Old 07-25-2010, 12:28 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,368,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
Once you are accepted for open enrollment you are a part of that district until you choose to leave it barring issues like truancy. They don't just send you back home.

Perhaps you're thinking of a temporary enrollment which has been done after the lottery with families where they're up front that it's only for one year.

Admittedly the home values won't be as high outside of the premier districts when they go to sell it but they won't pay as much to begin with. With a budet of $150k it's not realistic to go a premier district, you can buy in another, and still be able to sell a home when the time comes.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=124D.03
That is not always true-you are part of the system as long as there is ROOM for you. Now, since open enrolled kids are a revenue generator for schools they tend to keep the kids however, with the massive budget cuts coming and districts closing schools, etc. that won't always be the case. If it comes down to losing $100,000 in open enrollment money vs having to keep a building open to accommodate kids that are open enrolled, they will drop the open enrolled kids.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
That is not always true-you are part of the system as long as there is ROOM for you. Now, since open enrolled kids are a revenue generator for schools they tend to keep the kids however, with the massive budget cuts coming and districts closing schools, etc. that won't always be the case. If it comes down to losing $100,000 in open enrollment money vs having to keep a building open to accommodate kids that are open enrolled, they will drop the open enrolled kids.
I'd like to see some documentation of this happening. I applied to two districts, both letters stated he would be a student of that district until he chose to leave.

I firmly believe that open enrollment is an excellent option for those who can't afford the premier districts but want to sent their kids there and it's not a risky venture. They're certainly not going to tell a 10th grader oops, sorry, no more room.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I'd like to see some documentation of this happening. I applied to two districts, both letters stated he would be a student of that district until he chose to leave.

I firmly believe that open enrollment is an excellent option for those who can't afford the premier districts but want to sent their kids there and it's not a risky venture. They're certainly not going to tell a 10th grader oops, sorry, no more room.
10. Can our district close a school site to open enrollment?
Yes. School boards may set capacities for how many students at a particular grade
level may be served by a site. (Minn. Statute § 124D.03, subd. 6.) Applications that
are received before capacity is reached must be accepted without regard to the
individual characteristics of the student other than grade level. School boards may
not close special education services related to any special needs that open-enrolled
students may bring.

Again, as budgets get tighter, things may change. Individual districts can adopt their own policies as to how they handle open enrollment within the state statutes too. If a district says that capacity is 30 kids and they have 33 kids, 3 of whom are open enrolled those kids can lose their spot if the district doesn't expand their capacity. When the budget was healthy, this wasn't an issue, now that districts are closing schools, laying off teachers, etc. you will see some changes. Minneapolis has already started making some of these changes with their choice program, other districts will follow as budgets dictate.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:18 PM

Yes, they can close it to new applicants, but they can't kick existing open enrollees out any more than they can district kids. This just addresses new enrollees.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, they can close it to new applicants, but they can't kick existing open enrollees out any more than they can district kids. This just addresses new enrollees.
Just wait and see what happens when budgets get REALLY tight... Ask all the Minneapolis people about the changes to open enrollment going on there. They can and will change this if need arises.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:07 PM

336 posts, read 928,748 times
On another side of the issue, I know families whose older child got into a given school in open enrollment and then the younger did not.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:37 PM

9,816 posts, read 11,200,038 times
I "opened enrolled" my Kid's in PSEO. It saved us $30K for each child. See Information for Students: Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (http://www.mnscu.edu/students/specialprograms/pseo.html - broken link)

High schools don't talk about it much. If they do, they seem to discourage it. I think the motivation is that they lose the revenue when the child leaves the high school.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I "opened enrolled" my Kid's in PSEO. It saved us $30K for each child. See Information for Students: Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (http://www.mnscu.edu/students/specialprograms/pseo.html - broken link)

High schools don't talk about it much. If they do, they seem to discourage it. I think the motivation is that they lose the revenue when the child leaves the high school.
Maybe your high school doesn't but a LOT of kids around here take the classes. They even offer some classes right in the high schools around here. Schools don't lose revenue because the students are still considered high school students-the credits double count for high school and college. It isn't part of the "open enrollment" plan either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul