Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 01:49 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times

Advertisements

Fridley's okay. It's your standard run-of-the-mill postwar inner suburb. Pretty quiet, affordable, relatively convenient. Given your budget it's definitely worth a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 07:24 PM

37 posts, read 133,603 times
Wow!!!! Thanks so much for the choc full of info. I'm in overload now...lol. But great great info. I have so many more questions though...sorry. What are the local grocery store chains up there? What is the average price of gas? Does Minnesota do yearly car inspections and also are most vehicles undercoated due to the weather there?
We have sons ages 16 - 21 , is the job market open for that age group? Does anyone have an opinion on the Duluth area? From what i have researched it seems to be very much a harbor type area? Kind of reminds of the New England states.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:31 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
Katho - I dont know where in FLorida you are from, but i'm from SFL (Miami area) and everything here is either comparable or close in expense. I find housing okay - the lower end housing starts higher but you get a lot more once you get in the higher ranges; food is more expensive and all services and trade work is far more expensive. The choice in grocery is pretty minimal - especially compared to Publix. As for Duluth - its a bit too small for my taste - the Twin Cities is about as small as I can go.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:32 AM

13 posts, read 65,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katholland View Post
Wow!!!! Thanks so much for the choc full of info. I'm in overload now...lol. But great great info. I have so many more questions though...sorry. What are the local grocery store chains up there? What is the average price of gas? Does Minnesota do yearly car inspections and also are most vehicles undercoated due to the weather there?
We have sons ages 16 - 21 , is the job market open for that age group? Does anyone have an opinion on the Duluth area? From what i have researched it seems to be very much a harbor type area? Kind of reminds of the New England states.
Super walmart and target greatland and super target are good options for grocery, otherwise there is cub foods, coborns, lunds and others. just depends to the area. Gas is around 315 right now, I think (or it was last time I filled up lol)
There are no car inspections, and I've never met someone that's car was undercoated.
There are some jobs for under 18 and a lot for over 18.(think fast food and retail)
I love duluth and am possibly moving there someday, you would want to stick to the twin cities area though because duluth is a bit removed and the job market isn't the best and it is kind of boring. Make a trip this summer or next to the north shore.

Anymore questions just let us know!

Old 02-15-2011, 07:13 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katholland View Post
The teen job market, if they have some experience working somewhere, is ok. It is getting better but still somewhat difficult for teens to find a job. Seasonal employers are the way to go right now (Valleyfair Amusement Park, city pools, etc.).

Duluth has a lot going for it but keep in mind, in the winter, it is a lot colder there then the rest of the state and summers never really get all that warm, compared to the rest of the state.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:19 AM

Thank you all so much for the information you have given. It certainly does help and gives me much more insight. If anyone out there has info they can give me regarding the EMS system there...jobs for paramedics, info on schooling for it , basically any info about the EMS system would be very helpful. As I explained in an earlier post, my husband is a former paramedic and is lokking to get back into it up there. Thank you.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:57 PM

298 posts, read 751,162 times
Hi Katholland:

As far as getting information about getting EMS/EMT certification in Minnesota, the community colleges and technical colleges close to where your family decides on moving to are a good place to start for affordable certification. They are run by the gov't agency MnSCU ( Minnesota State Colleges and Universities ), so check out their website for which colleges offer the couses of study and programs your husband will need. I would recommend contacting some of the hospitals in the state, talk to some of the private ambulance companies like North Ambulance, Gold Cross Ambulance even some of the local police and fire departments or county sheriff's departments to find out what they require and which schools they hire their EMT's from?

The 911 EMS system is run through the counties in most cases; sometimes cities have their own 911 dispatch center forwarding calls to the appropriate first responder. Sometimes individual city fire departments run their own ambulance service like Minneapolis , St. Paul , White Bear Lake . In some cases hositals like Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) and North Memorial Medical Center have their own Ambulance service.

The Minnesota Workforce Centers are great places to check out in person or online for employment prospects and further education.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:25 PM

Awesome!!! Thank you. I have actually checked out some of those places online. Our main concern is that as far as ambulance services go...he wants to make sure that they are strictly EMS and not like Fire Rescue like they are down here in Florida...they are Metro which means it is dual where you have to cross train as a firefighter/paramedic. But I will definitely check some of the other places you mentioned that I have not looked into yet.
Also, if anyone in this forum happens to come across any rentals, if you don't mind emailing the listing to my email @ katlh1967@gmail.com...would greatly be appreciated. As far as a specific town...keeping my options open now due to our budget being limited. I look on Craigslist everyday, but everything is either through a realtor or it's a bogus listing. I'm running out of places to online to search...lol

Old 02-15-2011, 06:19 PM

13 posts, read 65,463 times
Did you take a look at those places i sent? Is your budget strictly 1000 and under not a penny over?

Old 02-15-2011, 06:23 PM

lolsmileyface...i did try and look up those places, but when I went to the links they were non existent. As far as our budget..the most I think we can go is going to be $1100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul