Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2011, 10:39 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
You're right, it's completely efficient and a good use of time and resources. As an American, you have the right to do whatever you want and you take every advantage of that right. Good for you!!
much more efficient driving my car 35 miles in 35 minutes at 2000 rpm than a S Minneapolis NIMBY driving that same vehicle 7 miles in bumper to bumper traffic poking along stop n go for 20 minutes, guess those people shouldn't be allowed to make their personal choices in your world either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 10:55 AM

455 posts, read 637,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Ha Ha Ha these post make me enjoy my 35 mile commute more every time I read this self-righteous drivel.
LOL... love it... I wanted to just give you a reputation boost for this comment, but C-D wants me to spread some love around first.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:35 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
much more efficient driving my car 35 miles in 35 minutes at 2000 rpm than a S Minneapolis NIMBY driving that same vehicle 7 miles in bumper to bumper traffic poking along stop n go for 20 minutes, guess those people shouldn't be allowed to make their personal choices in your world either.
The difference is that a more centralized, compact development pattern means that fewer people HAVE to drive those miles, and can instead take mass transit, walk, or bike. More compact living also means less duplication of services, fewer miles of roads to be maintained, etc. etc. There's also some economic considerations; when one takes on a very long commute in a car, one feels a much greater impact when gas prices soar. I think people should be able to make personal choices, but at the same time there's no reason that we as a society should have been subsidizing sprawl (through various policies and incentives) that do have detrimental effects for society as a whole. If people want to live a very long way from work, the rest of society shouldn't have to fund it.

My husband once had to have a (short-lived, but longer than we'd have liked -- we moved as soon as we could!) very long commute, and the wear-and-tear on the car was tremendous, the gas bills high, and he felt like so much of his time was spent commuting and not being at home and part of his community. It was a bad situation. We obviously chose to put up with that (for a time, anyway), but that was not a choice that should be encouraged or subsidized by government policies.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
The difference is that a more centralized, compact development pattern means that fewer people HAVE to drive those miles, and can instead take mass transit, walk, or bike. More compact living also means less duplication of services, fewer miles of roads to be maintained, etc. etc. There's also some economic considerations; when one takes on a very long commute in a car, one feels a much greater impact when gas prices soar. I think people should be able to make personal choices, but at the same time there's no reason that we as a society should have been subsidizing sprawl (through various policies and incentives) that do have detrimental effects for society as a whole. If people want to live a very long way from work, the rest of society shouldn't have to fund it.

My husband once had to have a (short-lived, but longer than we'd have liked -- we moved as soon as we could!) very long commute, and the wear-and-tear on the car was tremendous, the gas bills high, and he felt like so much of his time was spent commuting and not being at home and part of his community. It was a bad situation. We obviously chose to put up with that (for a time, anyway), but that was not a choice that should be encouraged or subsidized by government policies.
last I remember, my personal choice trumps your self-centered perspective of civic duty.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
last I remember, my personal choice trumps your self-centered perspective of civic duty.
I don't care about civic duty (well, I do, but don't think it needs to be mandated -- and I think it's the opposite of "self-centered") but I DO care about economics. No reason the government needs to pay for a personal lifestyle choice that negatively impacts the state.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 03-25-2011 at 03:52 PM..

Old 03-25-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't care about civic duty (well, I do, but don't think it needs to be mandated -- and I think it's the opposite of "self-centered") but I DO care about economics. No reason the government needs to pay for a personal lifestyle choice that negatively impacts the state.
... Like an inefficient light rail system? "Green" light bulbs/cars/appliances/windows? Above-market public sector compensation packages? Abortion?

Old 03-25-2011, 04:30 PM

409 posts, read 1,240,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
... like an inefficient light rail system? "green" light bulbs/cars/appliances/windows? abortion? above-market public sector compensation packages?
I've never had the chance to actually have a reasonable conversation with anyone who actually considers the LRT to be a boondoggle. Explain to me, how is the LRT a boondoggle?

Old 03-25-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPerpKazoo View Post
I've never had the chance to actually have a reasonable conversation with anyone who actually considers the LRT to be a boondoggle. Explain to me, how is the LRT a boondoggle?
Well, if you are advocating LRT, I think it's really your job to sell it to everybody--not the critics' burden to show that it wouldn't be good.

So, I'll give you a rough template to use in demonstrating the financial prospects of LRT. I am keeping it simple here (there would be many more consequential costs and benefits, but since we are talking economics here, we will stick to easily forecast numbers). Make whatever assumptions you want, and specify a reasonable time horizon:

Cost of construction + operating costs (including employee pay and benefits) + maintenance costs = rough cost estimate

(Ticket price) x (number of riders) = revenue

Old 03-25-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
Well, if you are advocating LRT, I think it's really your job to sell it to everybody--not the critics' burden to show that it wouldn't be good.

So, I'll give you a rough template to use in demonstrating the financial prospects of LRT. I am keeping it simple here (there would be many more consequential costs and benefits, but since we are talking economics here, we will stick to easily forecast numbers). Make whatever assumptions you want, and specify a reasonable time horizon:

Cost of construction + operating costs (including employee pay and benefits) + maintenance costs = rough cost estimate

(Ticket price) x (number of riders) = revenue

hey! our needs for mass transit are not a result of our inability to provide for our mobility needs because government is obligated to provide us a means to get around and the rest of you should pay for it.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
hey! our needs for mass transit are not a result of our inability to provide for our mobility needs because government is obligated to provide us a means to get around and the rest of you should pay for it.
Are you referring to extensive and expanding road infrastructure necessary to meet the needs of modern Twin Cities sprawl?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul