Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 06:52 AM

20 posts, read 25,631 times

Advertisements

I rent in SLP. I would buy here if there weren't better options elsewhere in the cities. I'm married with no kids. We rented here for the proximity to Minneapolis, Uptown, membership retailers, bike paths, and highway accessibility. Don't really care about the schools right now, but I know they spend too much money on them. The homeowners here don't care how much schools cost. They think money buys success.

If I was buying here I would like the urban-suburban appeal. There are still green spaces to spread out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 07:07 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
I don't get the appeal of SLP. Looked at many houses there....WAY overpriced. Small lots, not so great neighborhoods. I definitely prefer SW Mpls, BLoomington or even Richfield (close to Southdale)! SLP is very overrated in my opinion!
Richfield schools are pretty much garbage in comparison to SLP. Same with some of its neighborhoods, which have a very similar look and feel as many in SLP but without sidewalks or as much walkability in general. But yes, in some ways SLP is fairly overrated. If you never visited and had only heard about it here, you'd think it was Minnesota's version of Evanston, IL or Hoboken, NJ or something!

Old 01-03-2013, 07:43 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I don't get the appeal either. It's a crowded town, with too much traffic, tiny houses on little lots. Schools are good though.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:50 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times
I think the main reason it comes up often is that it straddles the urban/suburban divide a bit. Despite that its not on my own short list for where to live right now, I've suggested people look at it if they want (a) proximity to more urban areas (downtown/Uptown), (b) a stand-alone house for $250k or less, and (c) lowish crime and decent schools.

The downside is that it then doesn't appeal as much to the non-fence-sitters. The hard-core suburbanites will (rightly) point out that you can get a lot more house for the same money in other suburbs. The hard-core city-zens will (also rightly) point out that there are more "urban walkable" and amenity-filled areas in the cities themselves.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 AM

94 posts, read 160,106 times
Coen Brothers

Old 04-21-2014, 11:13 PM

3 posts, read 5,742 times
I live in the Birchwood neighborhood of SLP. West of Highway 100 north of Minnetonka Bld. It is a wonderful neighborhood that is full of homeowners that are active in the community and have a lot of pride in their homes. We have 2 very active parks in our neighborhood. We have a steering committee that puts on a lot of wonderful events. We have a movie night in the park every spring and fall and a winter party with a horse drawn hayride and a summer party with all the neighbors in the park. We have had a book club and a progressive dinner party group. It is just a very nice place to live. We have a community garden that is lovely. St Louis Park has a lot of good amenities for all its residents. It is close enough to Minneapolis that we ride our bikes on the trail to the Twins stadium.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:21 AM

191 posts, read 380,357 times
I think a lot of people think they prefer a large lot, but I bet 9 out of 10 folks would actually prefer a small lot after experiencing one. Just with how much easier the lawn care is.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:23 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces69 View Post
I think a lot of people think they prefer a large lot, but I bet 9 out of 10 folks would actually prefer a small lot after experiencing one. Just with how much easier the lawn care is.
Had them both--they have their pros and cons but with kids, a larger lot was very nice. Being empty nesters, a small lot is good--but then again, I want single level living and the older homes in SLP, etc. rarely offer that .

Old 04-22-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIll11 View Post
What exactly is a progressive dinner party group? Progressive as in politics?
That's where you have a few people make a course of dinner at their homes and you hop (progress) from house to house.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Had them both--they have their pros and cons but with kids, a larger lot was very nice. Being empty nesters, a small lot is good--but then again, I want single level living and the older homes in SLP, etc. rarely offer that .
Good point. With children folks may prefer larger lots. Also easier to build a single level home on a larger lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul