Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 01:03 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,072,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Yeah, NOT saying it on any of the local so-called "news" this morning. Nope, no agenda there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Yes, this story is the top story in the Star Trib, MPR top of the hour news and on the local TV stations this morning.
Quote:
They're not calling it a "mass" shooting. It's just another shooting to them. TEN...PEOPLE...SHOT.

The guy who shot up Allina in Buffalo has his own Wiki entry (half as many shot, and half as many murdered in that instance) but this is just another shooting last night? It's the so-called news and how they frame news that I am taking issue with.
So first you claim that “they” are not reporting it because “they” have an agenda. Then you change your story to “they” are not calling it a “mass” shooting. OK.

And you know that anyone can create a Wiki entry, don’t you? It is not some conspiracy.

Old 05-22-2021, 01:09 PM

4,869 posts, read 6,933,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Apparently the difference is in the semantics:

"In the United States, there are several different, but common, definitions of mass shootings. The Congressional Research Service defines mass shootings, as multiple, firearm, homicide incidents, involving 4 or more victims at one or more locations close to one another. The FBI definition is essentially the same. Often there is a distinction made between private and public mass shootings (e.g., a school, place of worship, or a business establishment). Mass shootings undertaken by foreign terrorists are not included, no matter how many people die or where the shooting occurs.

These formulations are certainly workable, but the threshold of 4 or more deaths is arbitrary. There are also important exclusions. For example, if 10 people are shot but only 2 dies, the incident is not a mass shooting. Homicides by other means also are not counted. If 5 people are purposely run down and killed by an individual driving motor vehicle, the deaths do not count because a firearm is not involved. There also are inclusions that can seem curious because the motives of perpetrators are not considered when defining a mass shooting."

https://crim.sas.upenn.edu/fact-chec...at-can-be-done
The definitions depend entirely upon who's controlling the narrative.

We've all witnessed rioting last year on a ridiculous scale. Nearly all of this was explained away as "mostly peaceful demonstrations" that when anyone tried to stop it they were instantly "brutal, racist" cops. This was even when the law enforcement efforts were to try to save people's live from all these horribly oppressed rioters.

I have to mention that the definition of INFRASTRUCTURE has been completely changed to fit a narrative as well. Obviously this was done to justify the action of bankrupting our country while doling out the pork to certain groups friendly to those in charge.

Why should the term mass shooting be any different. I'm sure it was really just a minor disagreement between a few upstanding citizens. Probably NRA members. Nothing to see here.

Old 05-22-2021, 01:14 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,092,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
You’re getting riled up over silly semantics in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Apparently the difference is in the semantics:

"In the United States, there are several different, but common, definitions of mass shootings. The Congressional Research Service defines mass shootings, as multiple, firearm, homicide incidents, involving 4 or more victims at one or more locations close to one another. The FBI definition is essentially the same. Often there is a distinction made between private and public mass shootings (e.g., a school, place of worship, or a business establishment). Mass shootings undertaken by foreign terrorists are not included, no matter how many people die or where the shooting occurs.

These formulations are certainly workable, but the threshold of 4 or more deaths is arbitrary. There are also important exclusions. For example, if 10 people are shot but only 2 dies, the incident is not a mass shooting. Homicides by other means also are not counted. If 5 people are purposely run down and killed by an individual driving motor vehicle, the deaths do not count because a firearm is not involved. There also are inclusions that can seem curious because the motives of perpetrators are not considered when defining a mass shooting."

https://crim.sas.upenn.edu/fact-chec...at-can-be-done
The FBI definition of a "mass shooting" is four or more SHOT. Not murdered, not injured, but SHOT. Ergo, the local so-called "news" are derelict. And they are derelict on purpose.

Quote:
So first you claim that “they” are not reporting it because “they” have an agenda. Then you change your story to “they” are not calling it a “mass” shooting. OK.

And you know that anyone can create a Wiki entry, don’t you? It is not some conspiracy.
Why are you lying about what I said? Is it deliberate, or just a mistake? Because I never said they are not reporting it. This is what I said:

Quote:
Interesting that there was a mass shooting (2 killed, 8 others injured) overnight in Minneapolis, but the so-called news doesn't call it a mass shooting. That is just so strange.

Old 05-22-2021, 01:15 PM

542 posts, read 448,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
If I go to any Twins games this year and at this rate, NEXT year, it will be in Kansas City where the ballpark is safe.

Kansas City has it's issues as to unsafe parts like the Twin Cities, but the athletic complex AND the downtown area known as the Power & Light District, unlike in Minneapolis, is MUCH safer.
I would check your math on this one. 269 murders last year with a population of 460k.

But don't let math and statistics get in a way of an agenda.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...238959858.html

Old 05-22-2021, 01:50 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,072,550 times
Quote:
The FBI definition of a "mass shooting" is four or more SHOT. Not murdered, not injured, but SHOT. Ergo, the local so-called "news" are derelict. And they are derelict on purpose.

Why are you lying about what I said? Is it deliberate, or just a mistake? Because I never said they are not reporting it. This is what I said:

My mistake. I was responding to one of your followups where you wrote "Yeah, NOT saying it on any of the local so-called "news" this morning." I did not see the first post.

So you are upset that - with ten people shot and two dead in that incident, headlines in the local media - that nobody used the term "mass shooting?" Is that correct?

Old 05-22-2021, 02:59 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
I would check your math on this one. 269 murders last year with a population of 460k.

Kansas City has a huge amount of problems as do many larger cities. I would never live in that area of the country again, and I know many people that have moved away as well.

Old 05-23-2021, 05:13 AM

4,869 posts, read 6,933,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post

Re-read my post. Didn't I say that Kansas City has their issues too? Where they don't have issues like Minneapolis does is the downtown crime and the safety issue of simply going to watch their professional sports teams.

Go down there sometime. You're a hell of a lot safer at both venues than hanging out in downtown Minneapolis or going to any of the sports venues.

Old 05-23-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
My mistake. I was responding to one of your followups where you wrote "Yeah, NOT saying it on any of the local so-called "news" this morning." I did not see the first post.

So you are upset that - with ten people shot and two dead in that incident, headlines in the local media - that nobody used the term "mass shooting?" Is that correct?
I absolutely am. And it should upset every single person here that the so-called "news" clearly and flagrantly manipulates and lies.

By the way, one of those two people that were offed the other night? An engineering kid who just graduated. I am sure the waste of space that gunned him down was just turning his life around.

I am sure Frey, Ellison and Walz will do all in their power to see to it his sentence is nice and light and he's back on the street in less than 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Re-read my post. Didn't I say that Kansas City has their issues too? Where they don't have issues like Minneapolis does is the downtown crime and the safety issue of simply going to watch their professional sports teams.

Go down there sometime. You're a hell of a lot safer at both venues than hanging out in downtown Minneapolis or going to any of the sports venues.
I went to a Twins-Royals game once. Love the area. I don't know if I would call where their stadium is part of the big city?

I think the Twins screwed up putting Target Field smack dab Downtown. I do think that was a mistake.

Old 05-23-2021, 10:01 AM

I wonder if Mayor Feckless will sob at the casket of the young engineer who was just shot to death by a complete lowlife - who was, unlike Saint Fentanyl, going to contribute a lifetime of productivity to MN?

Old 05-23-2021, 10:50 AM

3,464 posts, read 2,794,010 times
Have any of those arrested for murder or the victims of shootings been identified as Antifa or BLM activists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul