Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 09:45 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times

Advertisements

Hocus Pocus, presto-changeo....Viking's Stadium magically forges ahead to House and Senate floor vote after ground-swell of voter support besieges cowardly legislators.

The plan for the nearly $1 billion stadium, which would be built largely with public money, continued its surprising resurrection just a week after the project had been all but declared dead after a critical defeat by a House panel. By late Monday, leading Republicans in both the House and Senate outlined a roadmap that would quickly spin the project through a series of final hearings and on to a vote this week at the State Capitol.

Vikings stadium revived, rolling | StarTribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 03:07 PM

Weird how this politics stuff works isn't it? I feel kinda "dirty" for even caring about it.

Vikings stadium plan clears second Senate panel; floor votes soon | StarTribune.com

Since National Football League Commissioner Roger Goodell visited the state Capitol last Friday, the Vikings stadium plan has not only been resurrected but gained increasing political steam. Some legislators however have complained that the quickened pace of the proposal – and the political short cuts being taken – might be offensive to the public. Sen. Richard Cohen, DFL-St. Paul, said the Legislature’s treatment of the Vikings stadium plan in the past few days was making lawmakers look like “a total gang of idiots.”

Old 04-24-2012, 03:29 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.drew View Post
Los Angeles Vikings.
Not Happening.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:58 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,677,593 times
The Roger Goodell came to the Twin Cities not to say much, but just to tell the Govenor of Minnesota and the mayor of Minneapolis that if the deal doesn't get done, the Vikings can and will be sold and inevitably moved.

Now that's nothing that I didn't already understand. If some sort of stadium plan doesn't get done, then they will leave. It's as simple as that. What I don't understand is the reason behind believing they can't leave. Ever. The NFL is a billion dollar industry. It can and will leave 'good old awe shucks, never win but always fail ya' Vikes!'. Do I care? Kind of. I'm a fan and don't care enough about my tax allocation in public works projects. I don't know enough about issues to get too passionate about either side of the debate. I wouldn't like to see them go. I won't be heart broken for too long if they left. With all that said, I just say get it done. I really don't care how... Just make it happen. I think it will be in the best interest of the citizens of Minnesota and residents of Hennepin County/Ramsey County and Minneapolis. People against the stadium will argue "Well I really don't think a billionaire should be asking for public money when he's just going to make more". It makes no sense to think that way.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:30 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
With all that said, I just say get it done. I really don't care how... Just make it happen.
OK then. You pay for it. If you don't care, then write a check to the Minnesota Vikings. Done.

Quote:
People against the stadium will argue "Well I really don't think a billionaire should be asking for public money when he's just going to make more". It makes no sense to think that way.
You know what else makes no sense? Not caring how a billion-dollar stadium is built. Do you honestly think there is no complexity to the issue?

Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 PM

413 posts, read 763,820 times
It's not that legislators believe that the team can't move. Of course it can - the lease is up and they've met the conditions that the NFL has set for a team to move. The problem is, the lawmakers are SO spineless, and SO worried about their own re-election, very few want to stick their neck out either for or against it.

They know that a majority don't want the team to leave, but a majority don't want the state to help pay for it. Obviously these two positions contradict each other, because the team isn't going to pay for it themselves when someone else somewhere is going to be willing to do so.

The governor has his faults, but I give him a lot of credit for helping push this through to a vote. One way or another, this issue needs closure, and the legislature needs to be held accountable. Make a decision. Either way, life will go on.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:45 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
I honestly think Goodell essentially assured the Vikings the Superbowl and maybe something else if/when they built their new stadium.....SOMETHING that apparently jarred both sides of the Committee awake and willing to take action. Something is clearly going on behind the scenes, and it's not just the realization the Vikings could leave -- I think everyone knew that was a real threat!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I honestly think Goodell essentially assured the Vikings the Superbowl and maybe something else if/when they built their new stadium.....SOMETHING that apparently jarred both sides of the Committee awake and willing to take action. Something is clearly going on behind the scenes, and it's not just the realization the Vikings could leave -- I think everyone knew that was a real threat!
very astute, I had often wondered why the NFL would not have made that info public but believe those details are hammered out in the secret NFL blood-drinking orgies held every year.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:33 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsid View Post
According to Mark Rosen yesterday, the Vikings average a 45 rating/60 share - easily one of the highest in the league, but owners like Jerry Jones who make a mint off their new stadiums, are tired of dealing with the bottom feeders like the Vikings.
Jerry Jones can pound sand.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:20 PM

413 posts, read 763,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Jerry Jones can pound sand.
That's all well and good (and I don't like the guy either), but he and the other owners with good stadium deals are tired of propping up teams like Minnesota and Buffalo and San Diego, so that's just how the league works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota