Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:16 PM

643 posts, read 1,039,644 times

Advertisements

^^^ ++ Or a decent set of fenders.

I walked faster than the cars on the road tonight.

Many people will bike & bus this time of year because of the road conditions. Especially if they have to go to St Paul.

You can deal with ice (to some degree) with these:

The bike paths (some) are in pretty good shape compared to the roads...no ice warts/moon rocks/whatever you want to call that mess in the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 12:14 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,490,652 times
Drove from Ford Parkway to University on Snelling. Terrible. For several blocks, it looked like the trucks didn't even hit the place. Seems unlikely for St Paul to skip one of its most heavily traveled arteries, but the amount of slush could easily be what was left after days and days of heavy travel. Also went west on Marshall. The west side of the bridge was utterly different from the east side. Go figure.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:48 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,147,804 times
Nothing. And I'm 26. Plenty young. I stopped liking winter around the age of 18. It's simply rotten in Duluth. The air is cold, the wind (when it blows) is brutal, the indoor environment is ridiculously arid (something I am sensitive to), the ground wet, etc., etc. I could go on and on, but I won't. I pretty much live for the summer and fall (if it's warm).

The exception is in November and December when the snow falls. It always seems a little bit warmer then, and the snow on the trees is beautiful.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:31 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,678,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Drove from Ford Parkway to University on Snelling. Terrible. For several blocks, it looked like the trucks didn't even hit the place. Seems unlikely for St Paul to skip one of its most heavily traveled arteries, but the amount of slush could easily be what was left after days and days of heavy travel. Also went west on Marshall. The west side of the bridge was utterly different from the east side. Go figure.
You should try Como Avenue on either side of Snelling. That is the worst winter road surface I have ever seen. It's not just a simple washboard; it is a very unusual, evenly-spaced diagonal pattern of ice ruts, almost like it was done on purpose. I can only imagine that it must have been created by heavy vehicles like buses or tractor-trailers or something. Never seen anything like it. It is absolutely murder to drive in a passenger car.

When it gets that bad, I would really like to see the city do something to fix it. Go out there and dump boiling water on the road for all I care. I swear, the next guy who says anything to the effect of "well, this is what makes us tough Minnesotans!" is going to get strung up from something. Our complete inability to deal with winter road conditions is what makes us incompetent, not tough. Excuses abound. A foot of snow should not disable an urban road system in Minnesota 72 hours after the storm.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,873,400 times
That it will eventually end! :-)

Old 12-12-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
You should try Como Avenue on either side of Snelling. That is the worst winter road surface I have ever seen. It's not just a simple washboard; it is a very unusual, evenly-spaced diagonal pattern of ice ruts, almost like it was done on purpose. I can only imagine that it must have been created by heavy vehicles like buses or tractor-trailers or something. Never seen anything like it. It is absolutely murder to drive in a passenger car.

When it gets that bad, I would really like to see the city do something to fix it. Go out there and dump boiling water on the road for all I care. I swear, the next guy who says anything to the effect of "well, this is what makes us tough Minnesotans!" is going to get strung up from something. Our complete inability to deal with winter road conditions is what makes us incompetent, not tough. Excuses abound. A foot of snow should not disable an urban road system in Minnesota 72 hours after the storm.
The explanations of St Paul Public Works don't pass the smell test to me. The fact there is ZERO sand a major intersections has nothing to do with freezing temperatures. And the fact that Lake Street and Marshall, after the same storm, are so different just shows that climate isn't the explanation. I think I'm switching to I-94 for the duration. At least MNDOT knows what it is doing.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:13 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,678,213 times
Quote:
The explanations of St Paul Public Works don't pass the smell test to me. The fact there is ZERO sand a major intersections has nothing to do with freezing temperatures. And the fact that Lake Street and Marshall, after the same storm, are so different just shows that climate isn't the explanation. I think I'm switching to I-94 for the duration. At least MNDOT knows what it is doing.
Are you really surprised that Minneapolis and St Paul have differing levels of snow-clearing credibility? And that Minneapolis is better? It's just another of those many services that I believe could be more efficient by being combined between the two cities.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:50 PM

Oh, I agree. I'd love MNDOT to organize and run snow clearance for the entire metro area. I went to St Paul and back on I94 today. PERFECTION. They definitely have the knowledge and the procedures manual. Everybody else seems like they never made the varsity. But local governments keep jobs they just can't do right.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:26 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,377,511 times
Quote:
Oh, I agree. I'd love MNDOT to organize and run snow clearance for the entire metro area. I went to St Paul and back on I94 today. PERFECTION. They definitely have the knowledge and the procedures manual. Everybody else seems like they never made the varsity. But local governments keep jobs they just can't do right.
This has more to do with the number of drivers on 94 vs the side/residential streets then MnDot's snow clearing ability. St. Paul and Minneapolis have NEVER been good at clearing residential streets. It's impossible to get them clean with the cars parked along those roads. They can't do a good curb to curb cleaning as a result and then snow just gets pushed back into the roads as cars move from various spots. The issue was that the sun came out, melted some of that snow to slush and then froze again overnight. We are going to see the same thing tomorrow morning. I look at the residential streets here and there is a good inch of ice on parts that are not well traveled. The well traveled roads are clear and dry though.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,117,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Up to 10" in the metro by tomorrow night with wind chill temps to reach -30*F! Comfort food season has begun! Woo Hoo! First order of business, Chicken and Bacon Pot Pies with Puff Pastry Lids.

My cat is currently mesmerized by the thick snowfall out the window. The only question left is, will tomorrow be a snow day from work? I take the very first bus in the morning and it usually drops me off 15 minutes before 6am (I start at 6). I guess I'll know in 18 hours.
That sounds yummy. Are you willing to share the recipe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota