Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 04:21 PM

7 posts, read 17,309 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I am a 22 year old male deciding on a new city to call home [currently residing in Kansas]. I am a artist/musician/creative type and I'm in the need of advice for where I should go to pursue my interests. I'm looking for somewhere that is considered a city. [At least 150,000 residents] And has good public transportation. Any suggestions in Minnesota or anywhere else??

Thanks for your help.

Always,
Love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 05:31 PM

268 posts, read 1,613,901 times
Duluth might be a good prospect, as would Lawrence, Kansas.

Right on the Western border with N. Dakota would be Fargo-Moorhead. It has a pretty vibrant art scene. Annual studio crawl, a few local-owned galleries, a couple museums that feature (and, importantly, auction off stuff by) local artists. It's also 3hrs from the Twin Cities and Winnipeg, Manitoba, if you need a Big-City fix.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:25 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
For an artistic city anywhere near that size in Minnesota, your choices are Minneapolis, Saint Paul and Duluth.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:43 PM

781 posts, read 2,627,727 times
Technically, Duluth hovers between 84,000 and 86,000. Superior, WI is right across the bay and is around 30,000. So the total "city" population could be considered around 114,000. For a city of that size, Duluth does offer quite a bit and may surprise you. Of course, if you're worried about population, St.Paul/Minneapolis + suburbs is pretty much your only option. Rochester is a bit larger than Duluth now, but I've never really heard it referred to in the same context as art or culture (though I could definitely be wrong on that, others?).

Old 12-03-2008, 07:15 AM

23 posts, read 78,882 times
I would consider Downtown Minneapolis or either Uptown. They both have an artistic feel and culture. Downtown is known for it's music and art. So I would think that area would suit your interests very well! =) And also, for transportation, they have the lightrail right in downtown minneapolis. Good luck with everything!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:58 AM

721 posts, read 2,609,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriEsStaR* View Post
I would consider Downtown Minneapolis or either Uptown. They both have an artistic feel and culture. Downtown is known for it's music and art. So I would think that area would suit your interests very well! =) And also, for transportation, they have the lightrail right in downtown minneapolis. Good luck with everything!
Yes, absolutely. Uptwon would be a good option if you want the big city.

If you really want that smaller metro feel. Duluth would be a good bet. The city has some artisit lofts downtown at the Washington Gallery that are affordable. The Duluth Art Institute is well know regionally. There is a gallery hop throughout the summer, Park Point Art Fair, local artist (especially photography) do quite well. Duluth is making a citywide effort to support local artists and any project that takes local money for building must have 1% donated for artistic contribution.

So, the local expansion to the DECC at 40 million, must have at least 4 million dedicated for art.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:35 PM

214 posts, read 691,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by always.love View Post
Hello.

I am a 22 year old male deciding on a new city to call home [currently residing in Kansas]. I am a artist/musician/creative type
I think you should look at St. Louis, MO, or Phoenix, AZ. By the way, something about you just spells "adorable". I hope I am right.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:33 AM

39 posts, read 121,163 times
I strongly recommend a visit to the Twin City area. We have a ton of events going on year around, we are big on arts, entertainment and recreation. Our cities are clean. We have hundreds of beautiful and well maintained parks. Public transportation and infrastructure are excellent. I'd be happy to send you more information and links, but the best thing you could do for yourself would be to come for a visit and experience for yourself.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:15 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santos View Post
I think you should look at St. Louis, MO, or Phoenix, AZ. By the way, something about you just spells "adorable". I hope I am right.
I'd highly recommend Minneapolis over St. Louis, or a host of other cities for that matter. The Twin Cities are one of the best metro's America has to offer. Maybe it was the part of town I was in (not sure what it was called), but Minneapolis seemed very vibrant, youthful, and artistic. Did I mention clean and civilized? I've lived in Kansas City and Little Rock over the last several years, so just about anything seems more vibrant and youthful compared to those places.

Oh yeah, Duluth is truly fantastic. For a town that is struggling to grow, it is surprisingly full of younger people and a it's a fun place.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:49 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by always.love View Post
Hello.

I am a 22 year old male deciding on a new city to call home [currently residing in Kansas]. I am a artist/musician/creative type and I'm in the need of advice for where I should go to pursue my interests. I'm looking for somewhere that is considered a city. [At least 150,000 residents] And has good public transportation. Any suggestions in Minnesota or anywhere else??

Thanks for your help.

Always,
Love.
In the Midwest, Minneapolis/St Paul is only rivaled by Chicago. You want to go to the Twin Cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota