Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 06:53 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesuited77 View Post
just moved to the twin cities a bit ago and i think there are often paralell communities in certain neighborhoods, native and non-natives. My wife and I have been able to make friends with our neighbors, however, they are virtually all from people who are non-natives.

It seems that native Minnesotans aren't interested in meeting new people and are often resentful of us our of towners. The reality is that on average, non-natives are better educated and a bit better off than the natives-- the only reason they are in the area is because of the great job opportunities.
That is an interesting observation and probably not even close to true but perhaps it is so in your neighborhood. As a whole, MN's are highly educated and probably better off then you think, they typically just don't flaunt it as much where as people moving in from other areas tend to buy the bigger homes, drive the fancier cars, etc. where as the natives have the larger retirement funds.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 14,390 times
Default MN Nice

I have lived in MN all of my life and I absolutely have nothing negative to say about my community and people that I meet. The store owners at local stores are always helpful and friendly, and people everywhere take the time to stop and ask you how you are and what is new in your life. People genuinely care here, I'm not saying they don't in other places... I don't claim to know about people from other states, but I do know about this one and love it!

I think we take MN Nice to heart and are proud of the way that we treat people. As someone posted earlier, treat people how you want to be treated! Life's too short to be mean and ungrateful for the things we are given!

I read a newspaper article lately that had to do with a drug bust in our area- the people growing the drugs moved here from another state and were busted because of their "lack of MN Nice"! eg. Turning neighbors away when they stopped in, wouldn't give someone lost directions. Serves you right!

Old 11-09-2007, 12:58 PM

It seems that sometimes the people who are quick to point out other peoples faults are not generally the ones that know a whole lot about Minnesota nice, or nice in any state I guess. Everyone has faults, kids. If you're living in a community you don't enjoy you should relocate, whether it's somewhere in our great state or another! Life is too short! Enjoy!

Old 11-09-2007, 01:26 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Costin View Post
I have lived in MN all of my life and I absolutely have nothing negative to say about my community and people that I meet. The store owners at local stores are always helpful and friendly, and people everywhere take the time to stop and ask you how you are and what is new in your life. People genuinely care here, I'm not saying they don't in other places... I don't claim to know about people from other states, but I do know about this one and love it!

I think we take MN Nice to heart and are proud of the way that we treat people. As someone posted earlier, treat people how you want to be treated! Life's too short to be mean and ungrateful for the things we are given!

I read a newspaper article lately that had to do with a drug bust in our area- the people growing the drugs moved here from another state and were busted because of their "lack of MN Nice"! eg. Turning neighbors away when they stopped in, wouldn't give someone lost directions. Serves you right!
I see what you mean about being nice. I am fond of niceness. I also like my niceness to be real and from the heart. To me, being nice to someone isn't just about the "feel good" aspect. It is also about what is in the heart.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I see what you mean about being nice. I am fond of niceness. I also like my niceness to be real and from the heart. To me, being nice to someone isn't just about the "feel good" aspect. It is also about what is in the heart.
Are you claiming to know what is in the heart of fellow citizens of my community? That would be odd....

Unless you live in my community and know the people that I am referring to I find it humorous that you would even respond.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly Costin View Post
Are you claiming to know what is in the heart of fellow citizens of my community? That would be odd....

Unless you live in my community and know the people that I am referring to I find it humorous that you would even respond.

I am not claiming to know what is in anyone's heart. I am just saying niceness that comes from the heart is a wonderful thing.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:56 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,949 times
Molly Costin, Perhaps the intent of the quote was misunderstood, but I didn't get the impression pirate_lafitte was intending to argue or disagree.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Molly Costin, Perhaps the intent of the quote was misunderstood, but I didn't get the impression pirate_lafitte was intending to argue or disagree.
I wasn't trying to argue or disagree. My intentions were to give my $0.02 about the topic.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:50 PM

3 posts, read 26,185 times
When I moved here from the south I was told "Minnesota Nice" refers to people being "nice" but not really open to making new friends. I've found it is very true that most Minnesotans have all of their relatives and childhood friends around and are too busy with those relationships to make new ones. It hasn't been easy making friends. However, I have to believe that I'm not the only person new to the state, and there have to be SOME people looking for new friends. I've been told numerous times that "the first year you hate it, the second year you tolerate it, and the third year you love it." Really I think it's all what you make of it.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:08 PM

4 posts, read 10,570 times
WOW molly aren't you condescending?!?!

you have just demonstrated Minnesota nice
I find YOU humorous!
thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota