Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 03:23 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,521,856 times

Advertisements

Good
1. Lots of water.
2. Good weather for pastures
3. Candy Land in downtown St. Paul
4. The 4 seasons. Winter could be shorter, but they are all beautiful.

Bad
1. To much immigration in the past 5 years, taking away jobs and changing what used to be the environment here.
2. Crime has risen greatly
3. Drug use has risen greatly
4. I am thinking of moving to once was a peaceful neighborhood of 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2006, 07:58 PM

6 posts, read 18,450 times
1-Rated the 2nd most liveable state for 2006
2-Rated the 3rd healthiest state for 2006
3-Rated 7th smartest state
4-Rated 16th safest.
Not to mention the art, museums, restaurants, concerts and shopping (the cities) and the beautiful lakes and countryside just outside the cities. My husband is from MN and we lived there together 16 years while we raised our kids. We moved to the Tampa Bay area last year, and are anxious to move back to MN, hopefully in a year or two.
What are 4 bad things? Can't think of 4. Sure, its cold there and the winters are long, but as someone else mentioned, it keeps the riff raff out. Learn to love the winter by snowmobiling, cross country skiing, snow shoeing, or...just staying inside by the fire. I despise this constant warm weather. Can't wait to get back..

Old 10-08-2006, 10:18 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jccarey View Post
4-Rated 16th safest.
Not to mention the art, museums, restaurants, concerts and shopping (the cities) and the beautiful lakes and countryside just outside the cities. My husband is from MN and we lived there together 16 years while we raised our kids. We moved to the Tampa Bay area last year, and are anxious to move back to MN, hopefully in a year or two.
What are 4 bad things? Can't think of 4. Sure, its cold there and the winters are long, but as someone else mentioned, it keeps the riff raff out. Learn to love the winter by snowmobiling, cross country skiing, snow shoeing, or...just staying inside by the fire. I despise this constant warm weather. Can't wait to get back..
Good write up! Thanks.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:37 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jccarey View Post
4-Rated 16th safest.
One more to add to your "good" list:

Last school year, MN students had the highest average ACT scores in the nation

Old 10-13-2006, 03:36 AM

153 posts, read 711,285 times
I have to back "solveg' here, there hasn't been much of a winter in the Twin Cities or Central Wisconsin since 96'... the winters have been pretty mild. Sorry "restlessinmn" the winters the last two years just haven't been that bad

Anyway my two cents:

1. Great place to raise kids.
2. Great schools
3. GORGEOUS summer and fall seaons
4. Small town feel with big city stuff to do

bad stuff:

1. weather can get bad.. though it's been a pretty mild decade.
2. Avoid Minneapolis and St. Paul proper... crime sucks, and it's far to urbanized in my opinion.
3. Traffic gets worse and worse every year (though it's still pretty good in comparision with most other metro areas)
4. Housing prices are HORRID!!

Old 10-25-2006, 04:05 PM

4 posts, read 38,611 times
Default 4 good reasons to move to minnesota

Having been born and raised in Minnesota until the age of 19 when I moved to California I can truly say I choose Minnesota over California 10 to 1 hands down. In fact we recently bought a 20-acre hobby farm north west of Minneapolis and will be relocating from CA to MN this winter. We currently reside just outside of Los Angeles.

We have three children who have been born and raised here in CA and can honestly say if we had to do it over again we would definitely choose to raise children anywhere but CA.

The 4 primary reasons we choose MN are:

1. Quality of life specific to education, family values, pace of community life
2. Low crime rate
3. Highly affordable housing prices in comparison with CA
4. Traffic is horrible in CA

Old 10-30-2006, 02:06 PM

4 posts, read 13,402 times
I'm probably repeating what others have said but I'll put my two cents worth in anway (and I live in Saint Paul, so that gives you an idea of my experiences):

Sure the weather's unbearable at times from Jan. to mid March, but experiencing the seasons are worth it and some of the most beautiful days I have seen have been during the winter. You also have an excuse to sit inside and do 'inside' things that you would normally put off on a lovely day.

People here are very easy to get along with. They are accepting, intelligent and polite.

The lakes, The Lake, the rivers, and the landscapes.

Loons. The most beautiful sound you will ever hear.

Ah, the Mall of America, your one-stop shop for natives.

And an added bonus for being on the MN/WI border. Just a few staple liquids benefits: gas is cheap in MN and liquor and milk is cheap in WI.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:59 AM

19 posts, read 98,597 times
1. Christmas displays
2. nice summer
3. great fishing
4. good dirt

Old 11-05-2006, 12:56 AM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,318 times
I have lived here for 40 some years, we live in Albert Lea a town with about 1900 people. It is smack in the middle just above the Iowa border.
We have a great school system, very low crime, beautiful lakes, friendly people and the town is growing. It is a nice and quiet little town with Austin to the east that is also a nice place to live.
We have low income on up to what ever you want to pay for housing, it is not over crowded, we have Wal-Mart, Shopko, and two malls and a lot of new stores moving in. We are at the cross roads of I90 and I35 and they will take you were ever you want to go. Mpls. is straight north about 100 miles, Rochester is about 60 miles north east of us.
You can always take a drive straight south to Mason City Iowa or Clear Lake Iowa, it is about 40 miles and find plenty of things to do, just more options.
Albert Lea is a very nice and quiet place to live. It is a beautiful town.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:32 AM

121 posts, read 663,038 times
Mall of America
4 awesome seasons
friendly neighbors (for the most psrt)
good job market, reasonable housing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota