Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:46 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
There are a few stock car tracks in Mississippi, Magnolia Motor Speedway is one of them. I hear it's good too.

The Dukes of Hazzard never portrayed the south as racist, hokey yes, but not racist.
I remember the black sheriff from the adjacent county (Big Ed Little) and how he used to tell off Sheriff Rosco B. Coltrane all the time. But he was probably the only black character I ever saw on the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 12:50 PM

159 posts, read 263,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post
could it be that southern cops are simply less likely to charge someone with a hate crime than in other regions?
cops only arrest it would be up to the DA to charge and go to trial, and to answer your question, NO!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I remember the black sheriff from the adjacent county (Big Ed Little) and how he used to tell off Sheriff Rosco B. Coltrane all the time. But he was probably the only black character I ever saw on the show.
Ah yes, Sheriff "Big Ed" Little of Chickasaw County, he always had a thing to say about Sheriff Rosco and Boss Hogg's variety of law. Outside of Deputy Enos, Little was the only other good cop in the region! If you really pay attention, there are alot of black extras, one of Bo and Luke's friends in the first season (Brody, I think his name was) was black. There were alot of black (and white) bad guys who came through Hazzard, and several black FBI characters and state troopers.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:25 AM

105 posts, read 273,837 times
I have lived in north Mississippi for 40 years & have friends that are both African American & European American plus several South American. We don't refer to each other by race but by name.
I guess the racism thing is out there, but I never see or hear it with the folks I know.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:40 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLW1938 View Post
I have lived in north Mississippi for 40 years & have friends that are both African American & European American plus several South American. We don't refer to each other by race but by name.
I guess the racism thing is out there, but I never see or hear it with the folks I know.
The Topic is now "Dukes of Hazzard". Get with the times....

Old 03-22-2013, 07:06 PM

38 posts, read 48,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLW1938 View Post

I use to hear white people around me say that and I didn't believe it, lol. But then we hired a lady who use to work with me part time. We would discuss race sometimes and she would tell me she didn't and wouldn't hang around a racist. That no one could even use the n word around her or say anything negative about another race. Her friends were the same way.. I'm like,,,,right!

But after I got to know her I believed what she was saying was true. She was truly good people...

Old 03-23-2013, 06:54 AM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSass View Post
I use to hear white people around me say that and I didn't believe it, lol. But then we hired a lady who use to work with me part time. We would discuss race sometimes and she would tell me she didn't and wouldn't hang around a racist. That no one could even use the n word around her or say anything negative about another race. Her friends were the same way.. I'm like,,,,right!

But after I got to know her I believed what she was saying was true. She was truly good people...
That's the way it is around people I know. 'The n word is not used and not tolerated. I stopped going to my barber shop because they used the n word casually.
I noticed my 18 year old grandson could not bring himself to use the word even when quoting someone else. He treated it like he would any other vulgarity, and danced around it.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:09 AM

7 posts, read 15,718 times
Lol, these threads always end up the same people trying to downplay it. Race relations can be tense there compared to northern states my friend lives there and he's experienced racism multiple times and he's white.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:59 AM

119 posts, read 243,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novio View Post
Lol, these threads always end up the same people trying to downplay it. Race relations can be tense there compared to northern states my friend lives there and he's experienced racism multiple times and he's white.
Anything more specific than "my friend said..."?

Old 04-14-2013, 01:08 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrush View Post
Anything more specific than "my friend said..."?
Yeah, 'cause one time I was driving through Chicago and.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi