Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 AM

21 posts, read 32,906 times

Advertisements

This thread reads like an episode of South Park.

"DAY TOOK R JAHBS!!"

But seriously, folks, as long as it's not hurting you, what's the problem? No one's saying that these 'Alien Cultures' are going to break down your front door and replace the star on your Christmas tree with a pinata. They're just going where the jobs are. Globalization and the integration of separate cultures are going to happen whether you like it or not. It's your response that's going to go into the record books.

Will you be:
SOUTHERN MISSOURI UP IN ARMS OVER ENTRANCE OF NON-WHITES AND WOMEN INTO WORKPLACE

Or will you be:
SOUTHERN MISSOURI EMBRACES NEW CULTURES AND SMOOTHES OVER DIFFERENCES TO MAKE A BETTER TOMORROW.

Hmmm...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 10:38 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyWillsIt View Post

"DAY TOOK R JAHBS!!"

But seriously, folks, as long as it's not hurting you, what's the problem? No one's saying that these 'Alien Cultures' are going to break down your front door and replace the star on your Christmas tree with a pinata. They're just going where the jobs are. Globalization and the integration of separate cultures are going to happen whether you like it or not. It's your response that's going to go into the record books.

Will you be:
SOUTHERN MISSOURI UP IN ARMS OVER ENTRANCE OF NON-WHITES AND WOMEN INTO WORKPLACE

Or will you be:
SOUTHERN MISSOURI EMBRACES NEW CULTURES AND SMOOTHES OVER DIFFERENCES TO MAKE A BETTER TOMORROW.

Hmmm...?
You somehow failed to include this;
SOUTHERN MISSOURIANS AGAINST ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:49 AM

Is it illegal immigration you're against, or is that just a buzzword so you don't have to like anyone who's not a white Christian?

I've noticed that people, usually with no evidence, are accusing Tyson and other companies of bringing in illegals to displace local workers because they won't work at ****-poor wages. I've heard a lot of this kind of talk in Texas too, but here I've actually gotten to see what's going on.

Tyson offers a job for crap/hr. The locals snub their noses at it. For the advertising price of roughly a box of doughnuts and a soda, the job opening gets out on the wire. People who are desperate enough uproot their lives to get even that little money because it's the only chance they get.

These people are not cockroaches. They don't see a perfect little white town and go "Hey, vato! There's a nice gringo settlement we can screw up!"

That's a childish view on things, and frankly the reason I'm not moving to southern MO.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Is it illegal immigration you're against, or is that just a buzzword so you don't have to like anyone who's not a white Christian?

I've noticed that people, usually with no evidence, are accusing Tyson and other companies of bringing in illegals to displace local workers because they won't work at ****-poor wages. I've heard a lot of this kind of talk in Texas too, but here I've actually gotten to see what's going on.

Tyson offers a job for crap/hr. The locals snub their noses at it. For the advertising price of roughly a box of doughnuts and a soda, the job opening gets out on the wire. People who are desperate enough uproot their lives to get even that little money because it's the only chance they get.

These people are not cockroaches. They don't see a perfect little white town and go "Hey, vato! There's a nice gringo settlement we can screw up!"

That's a childish view on things, and frankly the reason I'm not moving to southern MO.
Good, glad to hear it, you also wont be bringing your own preconceived prejudices about Missourians with you to S MO.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:56 AM

Says the Floridian.

But really, you have no other response to anything in either of my posts other than to insult me? The only notions I had of Missourians, before reading this thread, were positive ones from the week I spent in MO 2 years ago. I'm still moving there because it's a beautiful place that I can retire to.

However, as I can see that continuing this would only give me dark thoughts about my future home, I'm going to end this.

We're both right. Good day.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Says the Floridian.

But really, you have no other response to anything in either of my posts other than to insult me? The only notions I had of Missourians, before reading this thread, were positive ones from the week I spent in MO 2 years ago. I'm still moving there because it's a beautiful place that I can retire to.

However, as I can see that continuing this would only give me dark thoughts about my future home, I'm going to end this.

We're both right. Good day.
10th generation native Missourian here.
I still own property and live in MO part of the year.
It would only have taken you about 2 seconds to figure all that out.
Allow me to point out that you insulted the folks of S MO first, I merely responded to your insinuations.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:19 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:

"DAY TOOK R JAHBS!!"

Will you be:

Or will you be:

Hmmm...?
I'll see your "Hmmm" and raise you a border state, like perhaps, Texas.

How about a southern Missouri in which people love their country enough to: 1) not want their culture, values and mores watered-down by people who have disregarded our laws and entered our country illegally; and 2) don't wish our educational and societal resources taken away from legal residents, especially in our schools, and expended on ESL, bilingual just about everything and their dimishing of our national character?

That's the problem, since you asked.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:20 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Inferno View Post
One of the reasons I got out of Missouri....don't regret it either.
Rep points to you.
Nor do we regret your exit!

Quote:
That's a childish view on things, and frankly the reason I'm not moving to southern MO
And we so appreciate it.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:02 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
The vast majority of responses in this thread remind me of exactly what I don't like about many Missourians. Fear and ignorance are so pervasive.
oh, it's not just Missourians.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I haven't been to St Louis for a good many years, but I highly doubt that. Why don't you post or link to some hard data to back up your challenge?

We're not talking about Black/White here. We're talking about a depressing landscape of third world cultures with nothing whatsoever in common that is fast ripping away at America's historical social structure and living standard.
wow.... wonder if this is what the Native Americans said about the anglo settlers.... and i'm pretty sure that the same sort of thing was said about each wave of immigration this country has seen... the Germans, the Italians, the Irish, well... you get the picture.... or do you??

Old 06-12-2012, 12:26 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Quote:
wonder if this is what the Native Americans said about the anglo settlers.
Well, when you think about it... they were right. The arrival of European settlers really did end up massively disrupting the way of life which had been developed among the natives of what is now Missouri, along with just about everywhere else from coast to coast.

Think about it - how many people still speak Osage, the predominant language of the tribes around Noel at the time the town of Noel was settled by outsiders?

Quote:
I've noticed that people, usually with no evidence, are accusing Tyson and other companies of bringing in illegals to displace local workers
The evidence is voluminous; a couple links were posted earlier to stories about labor practices at processing plants.

In fact, back in late 2001, Tyson Foods (the corporate entity) was itself indicted by federal prosecutors for smuggling illegal workers to a dozen of its poultry plants:

Tyson Foods Indicted in Plan To Smuggle Illegal Workers

Quote:
Tyson Foods Inc., the nation's largest meat producer and processor, was indicted yesterday with six employees on charges that it conspired to smuggle illegal immigrants across the Mexican border to work in its processing plants.
Quote:
Tyson offers a job for crap/hr. The locals snub their noses at it.
As they should, until wages rise at the plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri