Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 09:45 AM

2,201 posts, read 2,516,418 times

Advertisements

They just re-constructed it about 4-5 years ago. They added the center medians so that cars cant turn left and backup traffic / cause crashes. Have you seen Geneva Ave between 20-24th? It takes some traffic off of Rangeline. They are going to make it go from 15-32nd pretty soon. The area of the mall is congested but still beats traffic where I come from! I dont know about the Goodys location, but I would LOVE to see a Cosco here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 12:11 AM

63 posts, read 273,672 times
I think that the center medians should added along much of Range Line. It seems to be getting more and more dangerous to pull out from somewhere anymore. I suppose traffic isn't too bad, but I just don't want to see it in the future become a problem only because of a lack of city planning. They should try to get some commercial development along Highway 249. I would love to see some new development occur at nearly every exit, but I wouldn't want the businesses along Range Line to suffer either.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone1515 View Post
They should try to get some commercial development along Highway 249. I would love to see some new development occur at nearly every exit, but I wouldn't want the businesses along Range Line to suffer either.
I agree! City officials are concentrating development downtown on Main Street. I think its a crock. They had a "Visit Downtown" function last Thursday night. The wife and I went down there to see what was new and look at some of the stores. They are building loft apartments down there. The lofts are nice but I dont think they are suitable for this area. To me, living there is more "for show" than anything else. As for the stores, very very costly. I have been blessed with a good job and perhaps more than I deserve, BUT, I would never spend $150 for a t-shirt. Upstairs Boutique and Newtons Jewls are just outrageously priced. I could go to the mall or to Kansas City and pay 1/2 for nearly the same product. THere is a hardware store at 7th and Main. It is a mom and pops store. The prices were fair and the people were very helpfull.
I would prefer the city concentrate on new development, rather than waste time on a long lost cause.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGSD View Post
I would prefer the city concentrate on new development, rather than waste time on a long lost cause.
Exactly what I think. Its great to see that they want downtown to prosper, but there really isn't too big of a reason for people who live outside of downtown to go there. With 249 almost completed they need to come up with someway to get more people to use it. Everytime I have been on the completed section it always seems deserted regardless of time. Hopefully when they get it completed more people will use it, but I really don't see that happening.

As for the lofts, I imagine that they are pretty nice. I personally don't think I would live in one simply because you would still have to travel outside of downtown to do anything. I think they should try to get more business in downtown rather than keep getting these lofts.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:17 PM

It would benifit the city taxes and taxpayers to have development outside of downtown instead of trying to revive the dead downtown. If they would put more into 249 and the Petro area they could bring some great jobs and companies here instead of pampering the downtown good ol boys.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:33 PM

The way I see it is that Highway 249 has a lot of potential. I agree though, they really should start looking at other areas outside of downtown that are actually growing. Downtown definetly looks better than it did a few years ago, but besides the lofts going in there really hasn't been many busineses that have come in.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:54 PM

And probably wont ever have real buisness!

Old 07-08-2008, 05:44 PM

16 posts, read 58,882 times
Joplin is like many growing areas with city budget restrictions. Public transport doesn't exist, road development is way after the fact of need, zoning & planning needs to get a grip and truly think beyond the next few years. To entice residents to enjoy the lofty lifestyle, there needs to be local enticements so everything isn't mandatory driving.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyorefan5 View Post
Joplin is like many growing areas with city budget restrictions. Public transport doesn't exist, road development is way after the fact of need,.
Incorrect, public transit does exist. MAPS is a city owned bus that will take you anywhere you want to go upon request. The Trolley is expanding its services and has stops around town.

Road development here is great. Joplin has an outstanding road program. Rarely do you find a city street in poor condition, let alone busy ones. This is one of the smallest cities I have ever lived in, and it has the best of roads.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:14 PM

635 posts, read 1,656,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGSD View Post
Incorrect, public transit does exist. MAPS is a city owned bus that will take you anywhere you want to go upon request. The Trolley is expanding its services and has stops around town.

Road development here is great. Joplin has an outstanding road program. Rarely do you find a city street in poor condition, let alone busy ones. This is one of the smallest cities I have ever lived in, and it has the best of roads.
My understanding...is that MAPS is for those that have medicaid or medicaid in the household ( in otherwards low income). I have used MAPS before and those were their guidelines. Also...MAPS has been running on appointments. Many have a standing pick up time, therefore making it difficult to get a ride the day you might need it. Although...the trolley has picked up a few new stops, there is still only one trolley and only select pickup locations. If I wanted to ride the trolley...I would have to either drive my car or walk about 3 miles to the nearest pickup point (and I do live in city limits). Yes...Joplin is headed in the right direction but their is still a considerable need for public transportation. I will agree with the roads...the city seems to really be on the ball with repairs. The ice storms and floodings have really taken a toll on our city streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri