Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 09:09 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,412,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Wait till this summer. There'll be no wind at all.
Not even a breeze, oppressive heat. (KCMO for a year.) Few Municipal swim areas for relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 10:26 AM

16,114 posts, read 10,779,224 times
Quote:
If I move to a new city and want to promote better living, I will do so and that is my right.
Quote:
Do that, outside of a city and you can find out what "a cold day in July" means.
There have been people in this area that found they could go through a whole day and not have a single person say a single thing to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
And do you think they care?
Probably not. They don't move there for conversation. If you move from a state with 30-40 million population, you might enjoy the solitude.

Old 12-09-2023, 12:45 PM

8,993 posts, read 4,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
We have seen what Leftist Politics can do to states like Georgia and North Carolina.

Do that, outside of a city and you can find out what "a cold day in July" means.

There have been people in this area that found they could go through a whole day and not have a single person say a single thing to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
And do you think they care?
It has worked, in the past.
They moved out.

Old 12-09-2023, 01:22 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,026,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Missourians pay a personal property tax that goes partially to schools, maybe libraries, etc. Cars are taxed as personal property. That is in addition to the registration fee. There are other things included as personal property but I'm not up on what all is included. They used to send put a valuation survey where you had to list cars, trailers, some livestock. I think mobile homes were taxed that way since they were not real estate.

I worked in state government for 30 years, mostly in Jefferson City so I have a good idea of how Missouri government works or fails to work. Much of the blame falls on the members of the General Assembly (AKA the legislature). I worked with legislators on various bills. In the Executive Branch, party affiliation was not such a big deal in my early days. The emphasis was on getting the work done. But it became increasingly toxic in later years. I was likely to vote Democrat in most state elections but not all. I was appointed by two Republican governors to a position but that would never happen now unless required by law. Governors of both parties fell into the partisan trap and the state suffered. Missouri used to have the recognized model court system based on the Nonpartisan Court Plan, but I think other states have followed suit over the years. The idea of nonpartisan selection of Judges was a new idea at the time and a good one. Personally, I think it should be expanded to include Sheriffs and Prosecutors who too often use their elected position simply as a steppingstone for higher office.

That is good, I suppose. I don't care about Illinois, one way or another.

I like Missouri, was born and raised there and lived there for 65 years. It is a beautiful state and I have visited every county. I have family there. I think that Missourians are kinda like the frogs sitting in a pot of hot water (you know the story). They adapt and adapt and adapt and smugly think all is well but if they jump out, they actually see how bad it is, from a distance. The complacency is toxic. The urban/rural divide is toxic and self-defeating. The problems defeating Missouri are more related to that divide than to politics -- not everything is red or blue and there are good people on both sides. By my estimation, most Missouri outstate Republicans are actually Libertarians, but they never figured it out yet.

As far as the title of this thread (Do not recommend living in Missouri), I think that Missouri is not for everyone and they need to seriously examine the plus and minus sides to be sure it is right. There are a lot of variations in different areas.
I like Missouri but it's not perfect, from the weather, to government on down.

I still have a place in an inner-ring suburb of St. Louis, but I'm also glad we bought a few acres in a rural area outside of the St. Louis metro. Sam Page's tyrannical responses to covid were the final straw. Governor Parson could have been better on his covid response (see Desantis), but he wasn't too bad.

Old 12-09-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:

I still have a place in an inner-ring suburb of St. Louis, but I'm also glad we bought a few acres in a rural area outside of the St. Louis metro. Sam Page's tyrannical responses to covid were the final straw. Governor Parson could have been better on his covid response (see Desantis), but he wasn't too bad.
Governor Parson had to put up with a lot of BS from various, big city and big county, governments.
At least that is what the news sounded like.

He had a couple of legal battles, to get as much done as he did.

Old 12-09-2023, 04:17 PM

16,114 posts, read 10,779,224 times
Quote:

My brother lives on S. Jefferson and I think I heard they were planning on routing the Metrolink down S. Jefferson. Probably years away.

Yeah, a lot of people were whining about Covid restrictions. New Mexico had some tight ones, but we have over 20 Indian nations who were at high risk. One of the Pueblos is still closed to visitors. There were people on C-D that thought it was fine if the elderly or at-risk group just dropped dead as long as there were no mandates cramping their style. But I also recall that Southwest Missouri counties were the worst Covid hotspot in the country for a while. My former boss from down there caught it and died. Florida had one of the highest vax rates in the country in spite of DeSantis posturing against it. They just ignored him and got the shot.

Old 12-10-2023, 05:10 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,026,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
My brother lives on S. Jefferson and I think I heard they were planning on routing the Metrolink down S. Jefferson. Probably years away.

Yeah, a lot of people were whining about Covid restrictions. New Mexico had some tight ones, but we have over 20 Indian nations who were at high risk. One of the Pueblos is still closed to visitors. There were people on C-D that thought it was fine if the elderly or at-risk group just dropped dead as long as there were no mandates cramping their style. But I also recall that Southwest Missouri counties were the worst Covid hotspot in the country for a while. My former boss from down there caught it and died. Florida had one of the highest vax rates in the country in spite of DeSantis posturing against it. They just ignored him and got the shot.
My sister left Missouri when she was 19 and spent the next 30-plus years in New Mexico. Albuquerque and then Sante Fe. Beautiful state with deserts and mountains.

Ironically, her and her husband have retired to - you guessed it - Florida!

They are as liberal as can be but they seemed to enjoy the relative freedom of Florida during the pandemic.

Old 12-12-2023, 05:14 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,540,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia616 View Post
Missouri isn't that bad of a state, I've seen worse.
Our new state motto.

Old 12-12-2023, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia616 View Post
My mom and I moved to Missouri, after traveling across the midwest and central parts of the country. After living in Arizona for 7 years!!! That state is hell on earth, I'll never step foot in that place again. I don't even know why people like that place, it's running out of water, the rents are sky high and not to mention the heat.

We've been here since August, it is the only state we found that we can afford. My mother is going to be 61 years old this year and is on SSDI, and she makes a car payment every two weeks and we are close to getting a housing voucher. For this first time! This wasn't even possible in other states.

People need to realize no state is perfect, there's going to be ups and downs in every state. You just have to decide what's more important being close to your daughter or not being able to see her. So you have to learn what you need versus what you want. But Missouri isn't that bad of a state, I've seen worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Our new state motto.
You picked out one phrase from the post and ran with it.

"Missouri isn't that bad of a state, I've seen worse."

I think you are too hard on your own state.
The focus should be on "no state is perfect."

Old 12-12-2023, 07:25 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,578,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
You picked out one phrase from the post and ran with it.

"Missouri isn't that bad of a state, I've seen worse."

I think you are too hard on your own state.
The focus should be on "no state is perfect."
I took it as sarcasm, and thought it was funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri