Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:40 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times

Advertisements

I wanna come home, NOW!!! Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.
-sniffle-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 10:56 AM

635 posts, read 1,655,952 times
Another plus about the Springfield area is it is close to Branson and beautiful scenery (Lake, mountains). Plus Branson is a tourist hot spot, amusement parks, shopping, boating, great entertainment. Although I would not want to live in Branson, I sure love to visit.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:52 AM

791 posts, read 1,820,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
Another plus about the Springfield area is it is close to Branson and beautiful scenery (Lake, mountains). Plus Branson is a tourist hot spot, amusement parks, shopping, boating, great entertainment. Although I would not want to live in Branson, I sure love to visit.
http://bestsmileys.com/signs1/17.gif (broken link)

http://bestsmileys.com/signs16/16.gif (broken link) 100%!!!

Boof

Old 01-19-2008, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 11,562 times
I agree with nearly all the suggestions mentioned, and have a couple of my own to toss in . If a major airport nearby is a must, I'd suggest some of the suburbs north of Kansas City, particularly Smithville or Parkville. Both are relatively close to downtown and the airport, yet are far enough away to escape the problems that come with the city. Smithville has a great lake too. The KC Star recently rated the Best 'Burbs in the Metro, and both came out relatively high in the standings. South of the river, Lee's Summit and Overland Park/Prairie Village are both great places as well.

If you can manage with a smaller airport, I'd recommend the Springfield area. I live here now and it's a pretty nice area to call home--not too big, but still has almost every amenity, including two huge, highly regarded hospitals, four large colleges/universities (Missouri State has over 20,000 students), and a great zoo. Plus, the scenery is amazing, especially down around Branson and Table Rock Lake. Just a cautionary note about Springfield though. I'm not sure if this will matter to your family, but it is extremely conservative, and the city often behaves with the mindset of a much smaller town. I'm originally from a very small, rural town in West-Central MO, and even I was jarred by how conservative the area is. It is definitely not open to outside ideas or influences. Negative note #2: the traffic is terrible from 8:00 AM until 7:00 PM, so beware! However, that aside, it really is a nice place to call home, and I would consider it before you move. Best of luck!

Old 01-19-2008, 06:22 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roman0886 View Post
I agree with nearly all the suggestions mentioned, and have a couple of my own to toss in . If a major airport nearby is a must, I'd suggest some of the suburbs north of Kansas City, particularly Smithville or Parkville. Both are relatively close to downtown and the airport, yet are far enough away to escape the problems that come with the city. Smithville has a great lake too. The KC Star recently rated the Best 'Burbs in the Metro, and both came out relatively high in the standings. South of the river, Lee's Summit and Overland Park/Prairie Village are both great places as well.

If you can manage with a smaller airport, I'd recommend the Springfield area. I live here now and it's a pretty nice area to call home--not too big, but still has almost every amenity, including two huge, highly regarded hospitals, four large colleges/universities (Missouri State has over 20,000 students), and a great zoo. Plus, the scenery is amazing, especially down around Branson and Table Rock Lake. Just a cautionary note about Springfield though. I'm not sure if this will matter to your family, but it is extremely conservative, and the city often behaves with the mindset of a much smaller town. I'm originally from a very small, rural town in West-Central MO, and even I was jarred by how conservative the area is. It is definitely not open to outside ideas or influences. Negative note #2: the traffic is terrible from 8:00 AM until 7:00 PM, so beware! However, that aside, it really is a nice place to call home, and I would consider it before you move. Best of luck!
Smithville and Platte City are both growing extremely fast. Smithville has a reservoir that stretches from Clay County into Clinton County. Plattsburg, MO is also close to the reservoir. I prefer Clay County over Platte County because they are building another huge coal plant in Platte County.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:41 AM

5 posts, read 31,916 times
Smithville is a nice little town... it's very charming and does have a great lake. However, something to consider is that the schools are over-flowing... some classes are being held in outside trailors due to the lack of room. The pollutants in the water has been a problem there in the past as well.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:16 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinRN View Post
Smithville is a nice little town... it's very charming and does have a great lake. However, something to consider is that the schools are over-flowing... some classes are being held in outside trailors due to the lack of room. The pollutants in the water has been a problem there in the past as well.
Smithville should have known the schools were going to get increasingly crowded considering the town has been catering to the real estate developers for quite some time now.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 6,055 times
Default Candy, Have u relocated yet ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy T View Post
First of all, thank you for your replies. Kim and Jim, it looks like Cabool is near Willow Springs. There is a UPS center there. I like the low taxes. What can you tell me about the area? Is it hilly, flat, lots of trees? Do you have pictures? You may email me at dwcv88 at ameritech.net (remove "at" and insert "@").

Northbayeric, thanks for the extra information. I'll look it over. To narrow things down, Savannah, too far north, would like to stay in the hilly Ozark area. When I looked up Hollister I thought we must have driven right through/past it on the way up from Arkansas. We got off the highway looking for gas near (maybe in) Branson and got caught up in long, slow traffic. Ughh!!

The reason we were looking at the Lake of the Ozarks area is because we have a friend in Eldon.

Candy
Candy I wondered if u guys had chosen a place to live yet, I have lived in Eldon for yrs. and know the Lake area pretty well maybe I could give u some pointers !

Old 02-23-2008, 05:12 PM

64 posts, read 377,105 times
I think Springfield, MO is the best place to live in the state. Low crime, excellent school system, low cost of living, stable economy, and lots of recreation in the nearby Ozarks. Hannibal is also a good place to live for the same reasons, except that it has Mark Twain-related amenities instead of Ozark mountains. Hannibal has more of a small-town feel and historic charm.

There are probably many other smaller towns that are good places to live, but I don't know of them...yet.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,805 times
Default O'Fallon

northbayeric couldn't be any more correct about O'Fallon. I am a resident of O'Fallon and there are alot of beautiful places around here. Mid Rivers Mall is very close, and its only about a 20-30 minute drive to Lambert International. I would definatly consider O'Fallon if I were you. Crime is extremely low, you rarely hear about anything bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri