Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:11 PM

42 posts, read 98,829 times

Advertisements

Ive recently had some personal event strike me and I was told to go somewhere start over get a job, start college ect. I was given a list of states that included, Arizona, Michigan, Delaware, Illonois, Ohio, Nevada, Oregon and others but I was wondering if anyone could tell me where would be a good place in Missouri to start fresh. I was told I would fair better in a college town most likely but can anyone tell me anything>?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 04:24 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Stay in the metro areas of Kansas City, Columbia, St. Louis, and Springfield for a more diverse array of potential employment opportunities.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:42 PM

42 posts, read 98,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Stay in the metro areas of Kansas City, Columbia, St. Louis, and Springfield for a more diverse array of potential employment opportunities.

any areas to stay away from?

Old 05-03-2010, 07:18 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,871 times
Forget Springfield. Especially if you're young, active and educated. You'll be miserable and bored there. Unless you like Bass Pro Shops, the nation's first Diverging Diamond Interstate Exchange and Wal-Martish knockoffs of Las Vegas (Branson).

What field/occupational arena are you in? This does make a big difference.

As someone who resides in St. Louis, I would say that if you have to move to Missouri, Columbia is the best bet for a young, progressive person. Kansas City and St. Louis are very close in terms larger towns and what can be offered. Both have gotten a LOT better for younger people over the last several years. Go to the CDF forums for KC/STL and post your specific questions. Each has some decent, relatively intelligent young residents to give you a good answer.

Arizona, Nevada and Oregon are much nicer but, like most Western states, got hit harder in the recession and may take longer to come out. It's always a tough call in the West - my family and I are trying to get to Colorado, New Mexico or Wyoming but are having trouble getting a decent position/salary in our fields (finance/HR).

Michigan leads the nation in unemployment (mostly because of Detroit), and Ohio isn't far behind. Truth be told, I have been seeing a LOT of Michigan, Ohio and California license plates here in St. Louis on the expressways.

Illinois is OK if you're near Chicago, which is unquestionably the best city in the Midwest, but be prepared to pay for a high cost of living as well. Southern Illinois is cheaper but be prepared to drive to St. Louis or Indianapolis if you want to do something besides church bingo or horse riding.

Delaware isn't bad because you're in striking distance of NYC, Philly and DC. I'm not sure how DE did in the recession. Many companies incorporate in Delaware for the tax break, but little profit is made.

Hope this helps. I've been to all of these locales for both military/civilian work.

Good Luck, Keep Your Head Up, It Does Get Better!

Old 05-03-2010, 07:21 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
Big list of states with vastly differing qualities. What are you looking for exactly?

What kind of weather do you enjoy? What sort of activities? What kind of scenery makes you feel at home? Do you like a fast paced life or more easy going? Art or hunting/fishing? Biking, walking or ATV?

Old 05-05-2010, 02:55 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Just tell us your preferences. Do you desire hunting and fishing or do you prefer meth and crack cocaine. We can point you the direction you choose.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:11 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty122 View Post
any areas to stay away from?
Stay away from east Kansas City. Springfield, as mentioned, does not offer as much for a younger person although it does have Missouri State University. Columbia offers the most for younger singles as it is a large college town. Employment there is touch and go away from the university. St. Louis and Kansas City metros are the largest with the most to offer from an employment perspective. However, the job market is tough everywhere, and STL and KC have gotten hit hard by the recession even though the official unemployment numbers aren't nearly as bad.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:47 PM

266 posts, read 464,303 times
I've lived in Missouri most of my life and I would suggest that you go to Cape Girardeau, MO. It's a nice college town, clean, affordable. It's also only about 90 minutes from St. Louis if you get the urge to go to the city. The economy in Cape is pretty good too, compared to the rest of the country and other areas in Missouri. Good luck and take advantage of your fresh start.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:49 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetMeinSTL View Post
I've lived in Missouri most of my life and I would suggest that you go to Cape Girardeau, MO. It's a nice college town, clean, affordable. It's also only about 90 minutes from St. Louis if you get the urge to go to the city. The economy in Cape is pretty good too, compared to the rest of the country and other areas in Missouri. Good luck and take advantage of your fresh start.
Seriously???????

Old 05-05-2010, 07:23 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Seriously???????

What's wrong with Cape? My boy Rush Limbaugh's from there, don't crack on it!

Cape's not a bad place. A bunch of us went to a pretty wild college party and ended up puking over the old Cape Giradeau Bridge (replaced by the Bill Emerson bridge, I think?).

But if you want "city" life, STL or KC is your best bet.

If you want "bustling" city life, take Denver or Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri