Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2016, 01:13 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,169,229 times

Advertisements

Oh, that shouldn't be any problem, other than the assorted icy patches. I'm on a side road with only a dozen houses, so we're not exactly plowing priority. But they had equipment out scraping and sanding the highway all day yesterday. As always lots of traffic, tho it must be icy or snowpacked, as they're mostly taking it slower than normal. Supposed to get up in the mid-30s in a few days, won't wet ice be fun!

Do take care when you come up on the new overpass as you approach Laurel -- the curve at the bottom is a little too sharp even when it's dry. Probably all manner of fun when it's iced over. Same with the main exit into Laurel, coming from Billings -- if you take it too fast when it's slick, into the ditch you'll go. If you start to slide as you start to leave the interstate, just stop turning and go onto the shoulder/grass instead, where it's rough enough that you can brake.

On ice or snowpack, do your braking BEFORE a curve or turn, not DURING.... cuz during is likely to make you suddenly go either straight ahead off the curve, or sideways off the road.

If you need tire chains, they're cheapest at O'Reilly or sometimes Walmart. I just checked price on regular 16" for pickup-sized tires at O'Reilly in Laurel and it was about $90/pair. Be sure to get tighteners and swear words to go with. When I got a new set two years ago they were $80 at O'Reilly and $140 everywhere else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 05:20 PM

61 posts, read 85,368 times
I completely agree that curve is too Sharp even dry. I hate pulling a trailer through there are people tailgate even if you have livestock. I do not understand. Glad to know the road is OK. We live 5 miles up gravel and not many houses so our own property plus our road are an issue but my husband is home so it will be a mutual learning experience. So far I don't mind the snow but I don't care for the wind, blowing snow, and freezing water. The best part is the views and the amazing people. The kindness we've experienced has been nothing short of absolutely beautiful.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:59 PM

387 posts, read 555,347 times
Def. cold this morning. This frost was INSIDE the house.
Attached Thumbnails
Let's visit on the Porch II-20161217_090019.jpg  

Old 12-17-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaDeMuertos View Post
I completely agree that curve is too Sharp even dry. I hate pulling a trailer through there are people tailgate even if you have livestock. I do not understand. Glad to know the road is OK.
On the rare occasions when I go that direction (like, once a year) I keep hoping it's a temporary curve... it was pretty clearly designed by someone not from around these parts. There's already been one wreck there that I know of (it's just up the way so I could tell by where the sirens stopped).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaDeMuertos View Post
We live 5 miles up gravel and not many houses so our own property plus our road are an issue but my husband is home so it will be a mutual learning experience. So far I don't mind the snow but I don't care for the wind, blowing snow, and freezing water. The best part is the views and the amazing people. The kindness we've experienced has been nothing short of absolutely beautiful.
Yeah, rural roads and winter, sometimes an adventure... When I lived in what was then the sticks outside of Bozeman, I was the only place on that stretch and the only reason it was plowed past my place is because it was a school bus route and the road was too narrow for the bus to turn around!

Oh, if you need heated buckets, I've found the cheaper blue ones are better than the more-pricey green ones. I forget the brand name but they were on sale at Tractor Supply in Laurel a couple weeks ago. They have several sizes. These work pretty well -- even right out in the weather mine don't skin over til it hits -30.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:25 PM

We bought a bunch when they went on sale. The blue ones there at TSC. But today we actually picked up a pellet stove for the kennel. The building iso partially insulated, we have the insulation to finish but have been so busy working on our house that the kennel has taken a back seat. Anyways we hope to install the pellet stove tomorrow. At that point the heated buckets move over to the horse stalls if we can keep the kennel about 40.

There's so much to learn here. Seems we learn it all the hard way.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:02 PM

I have natural gas here and have been eyeing the notion of putting a small gas heater in the barn, for when it gets down below zero... it's mostly insulated and wouldn't need much. Meanwhile turns out those LED replacements for fluorescent tubes get quite hot, so I leave the light on and it makes a difference. At least to the human; the dogs don't seem to care (Ella! Why are you snow-bellying when it's below zero??!)

Pellet stove has got to be more economical than propane or electric!

Old 12-20-2016, 03:54 AM

We got the pellet stove but barely got back up the drive. The drifting is crazy.

My clients had come up from Jackson Hole and met me in Laurel but got caught in the weather/highway shutdown about halfway between Laurel and Bozeman. They did make it home just fine later but it was an ordeal.

This weather has been a mess. Don't attempt Costco. Whatever you need it's not worth it. Even dog food. Haha.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:09 AM

And here I thought the weather was right mild.... then again, I grew up in Great Falls during the hard winters of the 1960s. After that, Antarctica doesn't look bad!

When I go to Costco at this time of year, first thing I do is ask the manager if they've got a zoo permit.

Hadn't been paying attention to the highway cams... where did I-90 get shut down? common enough above Livingston, dunno about points east.

I buy a pallet of beast food before the first big snow and set it aside for when fetching more becomes too much of an Adventure, then top it off whenever I go to town. Last year I think my stash peaked at 29 bags. It's gotta be up off the floor away from the mice -- I use one of those 8' plastic tables -- no good on its own but with a sheet of plywood on top, well, it regularly supports 1000+ pounds, and I've been using it that way for about 15 years now. Still, I don't think I'll sleep beneath it.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:12 AM

Hmm. east Livingston right now doesn't look real promising.

http://rwis.mdt.mt.gov/ScanWeb/Wx/im...2-20-15-42.jpg

Old 12-20-2016, 11:49 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,538,052 times
I put a double sized pig mat on cement slab in unheated building. The all the time outside dogs have access to it. When it is really cold they will sleep on the mat or next to it on slightly warmed up cement. They cost as much to run as an incandescent light bulb.

Here is one brand & size
Kane Electric Baby Pig Heat Mat - 13.5" x 36" | QC Supply
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana