Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 08:51 PM

14 posts, read 27,880 times

Advertisements

Well, it's time to start planning my move to Montana. Having just retired from 29 years in uniform, I've decided the final homeport will be somewhere in MT. The locale is not new to me as I spent summers in the 70's hiking various wilderness areas in the state. I also spent 6 years of my career in the Havre area and know all to well what the Hi-Line is like.

Still deciding on the area (Bitterroot currently in the lead) but looking at all the usual suspects in this forum - the Bitterroot (including the Missoula area), Helena area, the Flathead, and the Bozeman/Livingston area. It will be nice to have family nearby as my youngest currently goes to UMT and my oldest will be moving to the state sometime early next year. In terms of employment, I'm lucky to have flexibility in choosing the place to settle, as I am a health professional and may opt for a floating or travelling position, thanks to a fairly good retirement.

I have been reading the posts here for the last few months and truly appreciate everyone's insights on various aspects of life in Montana.

Thanks, in advance to all, for any information that I have picked up that helps me with my decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 09:15 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Welcome to the Montana boards MtnHiker57.

Thank you for your service to our country

If you have questions, just post 'em, we usually answer as best we can. Not too many of us on this specific board, but some really good people.

Good Luck

Old 01-01-2013, 11:09 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
I would recommend the Livingston area. It's a small town but pretty welcoming of outsiders and you are close to Bozeman should you need to shop. Just be ready for wind. Helena seems nice as well.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:37 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Your second career will give you more flexibility in location than most are afforded.

Since you like hiking, I would take a look at areas with national forests. There are many sweet spots in Montana. Take a map and draw 100 mile radius circles from each good airport....Missoula, Bozeman, Billings.

Then look at areas within those circles near a natnl forest that have good internet & cell service. Once you find some possibles, you can ask here about local perspective on attitudes, etc.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:36 PM

82 posts, read 200,748 times
Living in the Bitterroot Valley myself, I've found that this area has excellent medical facilities, in addition to numerous outdoor recreational opportunities, as well as wildlife viewing, practically right from your front door! Lots of state and national forest lands to explore, of which I've yet to scratch the surface!

I know winter's just begun, but we've had relatively mild weather recently. I'll be curious to see what January brings

Old 01-01-2013, 09:33 PM

14 posts, read 27,880 times
historyfan - thanks much fo the mapping idea. That makes much sense and I will likely try it.

RogueYak - I've thought of the Bitterrot much the way you describe the area. I've spent weeks on end hiking the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness and know the area well. Thanks much.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:38 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueYak View Post
Living in the Bitterroot Valley myself, I've found that this area has excellent medical facilities, in addition to numerous outdoor recreational opportunities, as well as wildlife viewing, practically right from your front door! Lots of state and national forest lands to explore, of which I've yet to scratch the surface!

I know winter's just begun, but we've had relatively mild weather recently. I'll be curious to see what January brings
......Since you are here in the B. R......even though your employment w/ the city did not work out......;I assume you were able to find other employment. I am glad you and your wife decided to stick around. The Valley has " way of {grabbing- y your coat tails}......

I am starting my 34th year of living here on the property I bought in 1976........and wouldn't think of ljving any where else!!!

Good luck.........

Old 01-02-2013, 06:35 AM

19,769 posts, read 22,666,896 times
If you like water and hiking, Helena is hard to beat! I can be ice fishing in 10 minutes from where I live

Old 01-02-2013, 07:34 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHiker57 View Post
hiking the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness
Hi and welcome to these forums. There are a few very pristine wilderness areas in northwestern Mt. The Cabinet mountains are a bit of a secret spot. Lots of trails and hardly ever would you see another hiker on any of the trails.

Back in the day when I was still with my with my X-wife, we did a 102 mile backpacking trip by ourselves in the Selway Bitterroot Wilderness in Idaho. What a hike that was !

We much prefer the mild climate and deep woods that the northwest corner of Montana has (heck the entire state has nice parts) but the wind and dust on the east side out in the prairie is not for us.
Sanders county is like a forgotten place. Lots of wild and very few people, a great place to retire.

Here is a photo I took of a typical scene in our neck of the woods.
We expect Nutria to migrate to our state via the western rivers that feed into the Columbia any year now and Feral hogs are expected to enter our state from the east at some point in the future also and won't that be fun. Good luck with where you end up choosing.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:00 PM

160 posts, read 301,280 times
Default Looking N/E from Smith Creek Pass

You can’t go wrong with either the B-S wilderness or the Cabinet Mtns.

I vote for the “Bob”.
Attached Thumbnails
MT Bound-img_0916.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana