Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:42 AM

256 posts, read 1,403,458 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the long title. I was in one of these places for about 6 months. The way they treat people in these facilities is outrageous. I think everyone should stand up and do something about the abuse and misleading programs in Sanders County particularly Thompson Falls. They have the sheriffs under payroll so he says nothing and lets it all happen. And all the while abusing teenagers and taking away their liberties. I have found a few videos and I encourage you to watch them and find other articles online. This needs to be stopped and everyone should take a stand

YouTube - Tough Schools

there is also a video called whos watching the kids? and it was on montana pbs

http://www.montanapbs.org/WhosWatchingTheKids/ (broken link)

thanks for taking the time to read this and please discuss on here what you think of these places if you have any news
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 06:19 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
So are you saying that all of the camps for out of control kids are bad?

Old 10-25-2007, 12:21 PM

yes.... unless you watch the video you won't understand.... because they are not legally helping anyone.... they abuse children is what they do and if you think thats ok then i can't even begin to describe how wrong you are.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthebay View Post
yes.... unless you watch the video you won't understand.... because they are not legally helping anyone.... they abuse children is what they do and if you think thats ok then i can't even begin to describe how wrong you are.
I did watch the video but it doesn't address all of the camps, it didn't talk about many boot camps that I could tell. The reason I ask is what is seen as "abuse" by some may be seen as just severe disipline by others. I don't go for the beating thing but military boot camp style disipline like runing,hiking, push ups, manual labor and some kind of confinement if you refuse to go along with the program coupled with schooling and mental health assistance is fine IMO.

The next question I have for you is are you a parent? And if so do you have a child like one that could be placed in one of these facilities?

Old 10-25-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I did watch the video but it doesn't address all of the camps, it didn't talk about many boot camps that I could tell. The reason I ask is what is seen as "abuse" by some may be seen as just severe disipline by others. I don't go for the beating thing but military boot camp style disipline like runing,hiking, push ups, manual labor and some kind of confinement if you refuse to go along with the program coupled with schooling and mental health assistance is fine IMO.

The next question I have for you is are you a parent? And if so do you have a child like one that could be placed in one of these facilities?
No I am one of the children who was placed in one of these places. The boot camp is one thing but these are schools designed to break you down and put your mentality down to that of a 8 yr old. Not aloud to speak to familiy for up to 6 months at a time and when you are it is so closely monitored that if you say anything negative the phone call or letters will be stopped immediately. Those more unfortunate are beat for disobeying rules and the like. It is a cruel environment

Old 10-25-2007, 07:29 PM

Ok, having been one of "those teens" at a time when what they did was throw you in kiddie jail I can relate. After watching the film and assuming that it's all true I would have to agree with you. I wish boot camps (the definition I gave above) had existed when I was a teen since I would've been straightened out a lot sooner than USMC boot camp!
There is no need to beat a child to the point of breaking bones or use what I guess the military would consider agressive interrogation tecniques to break them mentally, there are more productive ways. If you are serious about stopping this I would highly suggest relating your story and info to believe it or not Bill Oreilly. If it's credible I think he will be all over it in a heart beat! He has a vendetta against kids being abused and I think your story may just qualify.

Good luck, I hope you're getting past this....

Old 10-25-2007, 08:58 PM

im not a huge fan of bill oreilly but how would i go about doing that i am more serious then anyone can believe

Old 10-26-2007, 09:57 AM

I'm no huge fan either but I'm betting he'll jump on it for the ratings... Fan or not he does have pull. Go to his website and look up how to contact him....

Old 10-27-2007, 04:46 PM

83 posts, read 316,569 times
Have you ever considered that these places are supposed to be hard? We don't want our kids or anyone else's to be in the justice system. So if you are caught for a crime and you start crying cause you can't stand the heat, then don't commit these offenses in Montana. Go to California where you will be treated as royalty while you spend our 18 hours in jail for serious crimes. In Montana we VOTED for stiffer sentencing to be a deterant.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanahogrider View Post
Have you ever considered that these places are supposed to be hard? We don't want our kids or anyone else's to be in the justice system. So if you are caught for a crime and you start crying cause you can't stand the heat, then don't commit these offenses in Montana. Go to California where you will be treated as royalty while you spend our 18 hours in jail for serious crimes. In Montana we VOTED for stiffer sentencing to be a deterant.
I don't think the OP or I for that matter have a problem with doing the time for the crime and as I outlined above I've got no problem with a boot camp but the camps outlined in the video are used for parents to place their "problem" children and taking the reports above at face value the kids are abused far past a boot camp vs deterred. As for the CA reference, unless you've been in one of those facilities (I have) or personally know people who have (I do) you have no idea, and trust me, the CA Youth Authority is no joke. The have everything that an adult jail has except the kids being young have no idea how to interact with others at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana