Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 02:07 AM

256 posts, read 1,404,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanahogrider View Post
Have you ever considered that these places are supposed to be hard? We don't want our kids or anyone else's to be in the justice system. So if you are caught for a crime and you start crying cause you can't stand the heat, then don't commit these offenses in Montana. Go to California where you will be treated as royalty while you spend our 18 hours in jail for serious crimes. In Montana we VOTED for stiffer sentencing to be a deterant.
hahaha cali jails are crazy compared to montana jails... you obviously dont get what this was about.. if you do the crime then yes you should deal with it. this is not about crime... this is about parents who dont want to deal with their children so pay money to have them go to these places. where they are then abused... so dont be Moderator cut: put down until you read the original post completely

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 10-28-2007 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: put down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 07:53 PM

102 posts, read 271,915 times
Only a parent watching his beloved child spinning crazily and uncontrollably into serious trouble could understan their pain. Frankly a little tough love, andmore as required might snap a kid out of this madness. Put a kid in the hands of an institution or watch helplessly as the kid destroys himself and innocent family members and society? Easy one for me: put the kid in an institution with professionals who will take action.

A lot of other posters tell of their trips to prison, the Marine Corp etc. and eventually became decent honorable humans. What they left out was the list of people they knew who did not make it, those who died, those who ended their lives terribly while hurting everyone around them.

You sound immature. You sound soft. You whine too much. Man up.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalCalifornian View Post
Only a parent watching his beloved child spinning crazily and uncontrollably into serious trouble could understan their pain. Frankly a little tough love, andmore as required might snap a kid out of this madness. Put a kid in the hands of an institution or watch helplessly as the kid destroys himself and innocent family members and society? Easy one for me: put the kid in an institution with professionals who will take action.

A lot of other posters tell of their trips to prison, the Marine Corp etc. and eventually became decent honorable humans. What they left out was the list of people they knew who did not make it, those who died, those who ended their lives terribly while hurting everyone around them.

You sound immature. You sound soft. You whine too much. Man up.
Im not going to get into it because you have no idea.... but whatever you didn't take any of the time to read anything

Old 10-29-2007, 05:25 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,355,911 times
fromthebay, some people don't know the difference between tough love and down right cruelty.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:21 PM

exactly^^^ i believe in tough love... i grew up with it... but cruelty like this is wrong but they dont get it

Old 10-01-2008, 03:23 PM

99 posts, read 386,828 times
http://www.montanapbs.org/WhosWatchingTheKids/ (broken link)

Watch this if you all have questions about these facilities

Old 10-02-2008, 07:01 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,072,643 times
I'll take a tough boot camp over a system such as the C.Y.A. any time ! I was one of those kids also and I did a year at The Preston School Of Industry, part of the C.Y.A. system. I saw things done to the other kids if you can call them that, and to the staff that would make your blood curdle. Rapes in the shower room, lots of stabbings over card games and cigarettes, full scale rioting with bricks flying back and forth, tear gas clouds, drug use all the time, guys setting another guy on fire etc. One guy cut his wrists for attention and they wrapped his wrists in towels and put him on "the buffer" for an hour before sending him to the infirmary. I've never seen so much blood dripping off a person in my life. I lucked out by fighting the first "testers" and doing a bit of serious damage the first day to one of them so I got by fine. I would of happily gone to a boot camp, even a bad one.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I'll take a tough boot camp over a system such as the C.Y.A. any time ! I was one of those kids also and I did a year at The Preston School Of Industry, part of the C.Y.A. system. I saw things done to the other kids if you can call them that, and to the staff that would make your blood curdle. Rapes in the shower room, lots of stabbings over card games and cigarettes, full scale rioting with bricks flying back and forth, tear gas clouds, drug use all the time, guys setting another guy on fire etc. One guy cut his wrists for attention and they wrapped his wrists in towels and put him on "the buffer" for an hour before sending him to the infirmary. I've never seen so much blood dripping off a person in my life. I lucked out by fighting the first "testers" and doing a bit of serious damage the first day to one of them so I got by fine. I would of happily gone to a boot camp, even a bad one.
I've known several people who spent time at Preston and you're right it's no picnic!!!! Adult prison from what I've heard is way easier/safer than CYA. I never made it to CYA, almost but thankfully I was always held at juvenile hall for a few months then released instead of being sent to Preston or one of the others...

Old 10-02-2008, 08:34 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,072,643 times
My second time going to juvi resulted in my little vacation at Preston. At least I was sent there after the new facilities were built and "The Castle" was retired. The Castle was used before the state took over the "reform school". You had to graduate from the dungeon to the top floor before you could be released ! I kept my "ass" out of trouble by fighting for my life on my first day and then passing the days playing pluck in the day-room with my white bros. I only got lit on fire once and it was one of my friends who did it, it burned me a little but it was really funny to watch according to my buds. Did I mention that I played pluck a lot ? I just had to go onto wikipedia to re-learn the rules.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:32 PM

102 posts, read 271,915 times
I'm fortunate I never got close to juvi hall or any form of institutionalization. I think the answer resides in how I was raised. For example, when my mom took me to my first day of kindergarten she told the teacher, "sometimes Bobby is naughty but he's also pretty quick. If he misbehaves slap the kid sitting next to him and he'll get the idea".

Call me what you will but I was scared straight long before they even invented the term lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana