Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:03 PM

20 posts, read 45,258 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah, I think the main problem with drivers here is that they like to DRINK and drive. We have one of the highest drunk-driving fatality rates in the country. And like I said in another thread... up until about a year ago it was still LEGAL to drink alcohol from an open container while driving on state highways. We were set to lose millions of dollars in federal funds if we didn't change that, so we had to. It wasn't because we WANTED to though.

Also, up until this year, 15-year-olds could get their driver's licenses and go out on highways just like the rest of us. Talk about scary. Of course underage drinking is illegal here, but when you factor in how many alcoholic parents there are here, you can imagine how many kids drink and consequently drive.

Always drive defensively. If you hit a cow and kill or injure it, you are liable for the damages. Don't drive like a maniac on icy roads. SLOW down. Just because you have a huge four-wheel drive Hummer doesn't mean you won't slide on icy roads!!

Just use common sense. The drivers aren't TOO bad.... only the ones who drink and get behind the wheel. And yep, many of the bars around here will let a patron get puking drunk and then send him on his merry way to drive home.... I actually did a citizen's arrest on a drunk guy a few months ago. Saw him coming out of a bar downtown... he couldn't even WALK, he was crawling to his car. I ran across the street and reached in and grabbed his keys out of the ignition and then called the cops on my cell phone. While waiting for the cops to arrive, I went into the bar and cussed out that bartender BUT GOOD.

I have had too many friends die at the hands of drunk drivers around here. Honestly, it scares me. Always be vigilant!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 05:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maid.in.montana View Post
Oh yeah, I think the main problem with drivers here is that they like to DRINK and drive. We have one of the highest drunk-driving fatality rates in the country. And like I said in another thread... up until about a year ago it was still LEGAL to drink alcohol from an open container while driving on state highways. We were set to lose millions of dollars in federal funds if we didn't change that, so we had to. It wasn't because we WANTED to though.

Also, up until this year, 15-year-olds could get their driver's licenses and go out on highways just like the rest of us. Talk about scary. Of course underage drinking is illegal here, but when you factor in how many alcoholic parents there are here, you can imagine how many kids drink and consequently drive.

Always drive defensively. If you hit a cow and kill or injure it, you are liable for the damages. Don't drive like a maniac on icy roads. SLOW down. Just because you have a huge four-wheel drive Hummer doesn't mean you won't slide on icy roads!!

Just use common sense. The drivers aren't TOO bad.... only the ones who drink and get behind the wheel. And yep, many of the bars around here will let a patron get puking drunk and then send him on his merry way to drive home.... I actually did a citizen's arrest on a drunk guy a few months ago. Saw him coming out of a bar downtown... he couldn't even WALK, he was crawling to his car. I ran across the street and reached in and grabbed his keys out of the ignition and then called the cops on my cell phone. While waiting for the cops to arrive, I went into the bar and cussed out that bartender BUT GOOD.

I have had too many friends die at the hands of drunk drivers around here. Honestly, it scares me. Always be vigilant!!
I agree with you maid with one exception, the change in the open container law was a "feel good" change. The reason I say that and have said this many times before is that it doesn't matter if someone can drink a beer on the way home, what matters is if they are drunk. I could care less if joe logger wants to enjoy a beer on his 2 hour trip home or if sally the sales lady wants to sip her left over glass of wine while going home. It's no different than stopping at a bar or restaurant and doing the same thing. What I do mind is people on their 3rd,4th or 5th DUI getting a 180 day jail sentence SUSPENDED except for the one day they spent when arrested.
I can understand one DUI, it happens, but past that there is no excuse!!
It is high time we make the penalty so uncomfortable for multiple DUI's that people get the hint that it will not be tolerated period. It is time we as a community DEMAND that the jail sentances be served instead of suspended. I don't care if they have to serve it in a work furlough facility,weekends, chain gang,cleaning the roadways,building trails etc. but they owe the rest of us for putting our lives at risk. Fines may build city coffers but have no effect on the drunk.
BTW, I don't drink at all, used to but as a commercial driver it wasn't worth my livelyhood, not to mention my dad was one of those multiple DUI people and deserved the jail time he got.....

Old 08-10-2007, 11:06 PM

30 posts, read 161,123 times
Drivers in MT are very courteous, except in areas where a lot of people from California have moved to like the resort areas. They tend to bring their aggressive driving habits with them

Old 08-11-2007, 12:03 AM

529 posts, read 1,892,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortaz View Post
Drivers in MT are very courteous, except in areas where a lot of people from California have moved to like the resort areas. They tend to bring their aggressive driving habits with them
I've noticed this too.

What's worse of late, has been those who would retire to the Bitterroot, coming from other states, they are either too old to drive or just can't see, pulling out on US93 in front of folks and doing 30-40mph down the highway in a 65-75 speed zone....
(I'm sure those of you who live in the Bitterroot know exactly what I'm talking about here)

Then, there are those that hit the turn signal, and the brake about 20 feet from where they want to turn off.

Or better even still..... there are those that will drive the shoulder for 1,000 or so yards, going slower than average, expecting to make a turn (I think) with their left tires still a few feet over the line, and you don't dare try to pass due to on coming traffic and the fact that they may pull out onto the road again w/out warning.

There's an old joke here in Montana..... and it goes like this;

Q; What do you get when you fail your driving test 3 times in a row in Montana?

A; #13 license plates

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 08-11-2007 at 12:12 AM..

Old 08-11-2007, 06:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
I've noticed poor driving is not just limited to people from the west coast. We get tons of people through here going to the park and without exception the Canadian people have the biggest problem with keeping to the speed limits. Maybe it's the KPH-MPH thing? It may sound a bit excessive but I've yet to see one actually slow down and do the speed limit through town. Usually they ride my bumper until they can get around me and go back to 15-20 mph over the posted 25mph. I think people that vist here forget they are guests and do things that they wouldn't dare do at home and I also notice that the local PD tends to turn a blind eye to it. It happens every summer, they disappear from the highway so it is a free for all only to return in the fall and winter to pull over the locals again. Maybe they are afraid of alienating visitors or something?

Old 08-11-2007, 08:26 AM

281 posts, read 870,069 times
I was hit by a drunk driver back in 2000 in Seattle, Washington. It was a truck driver for Swanson frozen food. He was 3 times over the limit of intoxication. I almost lost my life. So, in no way, would I support someone sipping on a beer for their two hour drive home.

After living here since April, as mentioned previously, I have encountered so many wreckless drivers. More the amount than what I encountered while living five years in california.

I have nearly been hit head on a total of 4 times now, because some folks cannot be bothered to stop driving down the middle of a back road. And, driving TOO fast while doing so. What do these people do, when they encounter deer? Just hit them and keep on truckin? And, it completely freaks me out when I see bicycles on winding back roads as well. It's not safe.

Sorry, but, people drive WAyyyyyy too fast up here for my taste. I'm probably that person you will encounter in the slow lane going 60-65mph.

It will however be interesting, to see how many new transplants land in ditches in this winter. I'm already experienced in winter driving, I wonder how many new folks up here this summer are as well?

Old 08-11-2007, 08:39 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
No passing on the right in Montana. Say if a driver is going to turn left and is sitting in your way because he's waiting for a break in the traffic, you have to sit and wait behind him just to go straight. Many folks just go around the stopped car on the shoulder but it's against the law for some reason.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:28 AM

404 posts, read 711,648 times
I remember I was driving from Billings to Yellowstone, and somewhere around Bozeman, a driver entered the highway in front of me with his left turn signal on. Some time around Red Lodge, he finally turned right.

I'm sure the drivers are no worse than anywhere else.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:50 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,815,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post

After living here since April, as mentioned previously, I have encountered so many wreckless drivers. More the amount than what I encountered while living five years in california.

I have nearly been hit head on a total of 4 times now, because some folks cannot be bothered to stop driving down the middle of a back road. And, driving TOO fast while doing so
i agree with you there. ive never driven anywhere ,where the line in the middle of the road means NOTHING. on our own road we have to go around a big bend going down the hill,and its like taking your life in your hands. more times than not,people are coming up the hill in the middle of the rd. ive never in my 30 yrs of driving had an accident or been pulled over.but since living back here the last ten yrs,ive ran out of fingers and toes to count how many close calls we have had.people can yell "transplants" all they want too,but ya cant tell me its ALL them. good or bad,the rds are getting more crowded and EVERYONE needs to take that into account.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:32 PM

79 posts, read 262,324 times
Ya so you learn to go slow around the corners then the guy running up your behind gets P.O.ed at ya and tries to pass ya, on the corner Where everyone off to in such a hurry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana