Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 9,705 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking at a job that could offer $3,500 a month. This job would be my first entry level job after graduating from college. I'm a single male who doesn't need much. I only need at least a two bedroom apartment, food, and gas. From what I've seen, I should be able to get a two bedroom apartment for about 1,300-1,400 a month.

With these conditions in mind, is it possible to live in the Monterey area without constantly worrying about money? If I can't get $3,500 a month, what's the minimum I would need to live within the above conditions?

In addition, I have no debt, no pets, and no other obligations. My insurance is taken care of by great parents. I currently live in Texas and know that living is quite expensive on the California coast. I really want to live around the central California coast and would appreciate any advice. I would like to move primarily because I'm sick of intense summers and intense winters (I've also lived in South Dakota, Jersey, and Illinois) and would like to be near water again.

I'm primarily looking for places that have temperate weather all year long. If you know of any places with similar weather to central California please let me know. I've looked a lot, but central coastal California seams to be the best. By the way, I consider anything above the mid 80's to be hot and anything below 40 to be cold.

Thanks in advance to all those who respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 06:23 PM

276 posts, read 774,692 times
It looks like a close call. If that's before taxes, it might be tough, but should be doable.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:29 PM

8,219 posts, read 16,714,148 times
I would say that all of this depends on *you* and your expectations. Can you live frugally for a season while gaining valuable work experience? Most new grads have to do this anyway as it takes a while to establish yourself. I can tell you college students live here and survive on less. However they have lower expectations such as being ok with living in a shared roommate situation. If you want a little more and have a little more then I think its doable. You just have to find the right place as that is the biggest expense and COL difference between living here and another state.

Just one thing to keep in mind is that you may enjoy a 1 bedroom in a nicer area over a 2 bedroom in a lessor area. But you can figure all that out once you visit and/or live here for a while. For example living in Monterey may be more desirable than say Seaside or Marina. I know if I was single I'd pick the best/funnest area first over number of bedrooms. Here are a few examples:
1bed/1ba Clean in Monterey
$1040 Monterey 1bed/1bath
Great Location Upstairs Condo Unit Located At Ocean Forest
Here's a great deal on a 2 BDRM in PG: http://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/3849468223.html

Also if this is your first job your baseline is as low as it should go meaning that as you gain experience your pay should increase. Of course that depends on job availability in your line of work. But generally speaking you should be able to increase your pay over time.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-04-2013 at 07:44 PM..

Old 06-04-2013, 07:49 PM

70 posts, read 149,603 times
Certainly if you spend the money wisely you can do it. You won't be putting buckets into your 401k and savings account but you'll get by comfortably. The biggest expense is obviously housing. If you are patient and you take your time looking, you can get a good 1br for around $1000 (+/- depending on where you want to be). After that, expenses really aren't that much more than anywhere else in the country.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:52 PM

337 posts, read 897,282 times
Curious why you need a 2br instead of a studio or one br? Will you be sharing housing?

But like others said, you should do relatively fine.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 9,705 times
Thanks everybody! You've been very helpful. Now all I have to do is actually get the job!

The only reason I was focusing on a two bedroom is because I've been living in studio/1 bedroom housing for years and I'm about to go insane.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:06 PM

276 posts, read 774,692 times
Just make sure you eat up a whole lot of Texas BBQ while you can. BBQ out here is nothing to brag about, unfortunately.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 PM

17,642 posts, read 22,658,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBBQ View Post
Just make sure you eat up a whole lot of Texas BBQ while you can. BBQ out here is nothing to brag about, unfortunately.
It's been years, but Smalley's Roundup had very tasty BBQ last time we had it...

Smalley's Roundup

Old 06-06-2013, 08:33 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,382,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Just one thing to keep in mind is that you may enjoy a 1 bedroom in a nicer area over a 2 bedroom in a lessor area. But you can figure all that out once you visit and/or live here for a while. For example living in Monterey may be more desirable than say Seaside or Marina.
Has Seaside improved any since Ft Ord closed? I remember it was a bit sketchy and high crime when I was stationed at Planet Ord through the early 90s.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:57 PM

8,219 posts, read 16,714,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Has Seaside improved any since Ft Ord closed? I remember it was a bit sketchy and high crime when I was stationed at Planet Ord through the early 90s.
When talking with the locals they would say yes. It definitely has improved since then. I have friends who live there now and are fine with it. But of course it's still not without crime nor is it really walkable like Monterey. You have your basics stores including the big box variety in nearby Sand City. But I wouldn't recommend it for a 20 something single unless they were deciding on price only and didn't care about the social aspect. You might say there still are parts which are a bit sketchy and wouldn't be great walking around at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County