Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 05:33 PM

149 posts, read 324,347 times

Advertisements

I think, as someone else mentioned, that this movie was a good bridge between old and new. It was familiar enough (read: almost exactly the same plot) as the original trilogy but set it up for future movies. My guess is that this was done on purpose as a way to hook people back into the universe only to take completely different storylines for the next two. Then again, it's Disney so probably not.

My other thought is regarding Kylo Ren and his battle with Rey & Finn. As far as bad-a$$ villains go, Ren has to be pretty far down the list, probably just behind Snidely Whiplash. While I'm sure part of it was to add some suspense regarding the scene with Han (which it didn't really do), I'm guessing that they had to have the villain be somewhat weak in order for Rey & Finn to make it. If those two had met Darth Vader from IV or V, they'd have their butts kicked in a second. A weak and injured antagonist is the only way for the inexperienced good guys to win.

I do, however, think that this will lead to a stronger Kylo Ren in the subsequent movies. Unlike in the original trilogy where the Empire & Vader were pretty much the same strength throughout, while the rebels and Luke kept getting stronger. With this movie, it leaves the possibility that, while the good guys get better, so do the bad which would make things much more interesting moving forward.

Lastly, while I think Rey is Luke's daughter (I think the voice over for the trailer gave it away), I think it would be great if she was unrelated. New trilogy, new family, new stories. Personally, with the prequels, I had a little Skywalker fatigue. A new line, with a less hokey name, would be fun too.

Regardless, I enjoyed the movie and would put it just behind IV, if only because of the lack of originality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 05:40 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I realize most of you haven't probably watched the cartoon Star Wars (Clone Wars and now Rebels on Disney) however that's how my daughter got into Star Wars so I've seen ALL of them. Anakon becomes a LOT more likable and more human throughout the Clone Wars. He also gets his own padawan and the end of that series shows them basically throwing Anakin's feelings under the bus again as he tried to protect and defend his padawan. I don't want to throw out any spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen them, however they're definitely worth watching. My daughters all time favorite character is Ahsoka Tano, frankly she's the best female lead I've seen between all of the movies and cartoons.

Anyway, the Clone Wars definitely feeds into the idea that it was the Jedi who really led Anakin down the path he went.
Clone Wars is pretty good. It's a good series and provide lots of info about the SW universe unlike the movie they basically made a lot of assumptions and skipped ahead rather than explain things better.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaDragon View Post
I think, as someone else mentioned, that this movie was a good bridge between old and new. It was familiar enough (read: almost exactly the same plot) as the original trilogy but set it up for future movies. My guess is that this was done on purpose as a way to hook people back into the universe only to take completely different storylines for the next two. Then again, it's Disney so probably not.
This movie severed the SW universe from the Lucas SW and now Disney SW. A number of assumptions were made to speed up the movie to make it look like it has a typical dumbed down ending than leave a cliff-hanger for the sequels.

Lucas has a distinct naming scheme for his characters neither Rey nor Fin's name sound like they originate from the SW universe. These names they came up with obviously dumbed down modern day names than something unique like Obiwan or Jango Fett.

There's a complete lack of purity that makes a real SW fan feel at home again. It felt more like Fast and Furious than Star Wars.

Anyone who watched this for the 1st time will either hate the original or say why they copied the concept or events from the past. This is not the Awakening that SW fans expected or find believable.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:57 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,621,225 times
On another note, I was surprised by what a nonentity Phasma turned out to be. IMO, she should have been the one to throw down with Finn. It would have made more sense for her to utter the curse "Traitor!" than a random Stormtrooper.

That's just one of many tweaks I'd have made to the film.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:21 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
On another note, I was surprised by what a nonentity Phasma turned out to be. IMO, she should have been the one to throw down with Finn. It would have made more sense for her to utter the curse "Traitor!" than a random Stormtrooper.

That battle was a bit of a waste other than to prove the new Stormtroopers have much better training and aren't pushovers similar to the Clone Troopers rather than the original trilogy Stormtroopers. As for Phasma's non-use, I wish she was used more but we did have a lot of characters to introduce and developed who were much more integral to the story than she was. She was basically Commander Cody from With but female and in a silver suit.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post

My tweak for the film would be towards the end, that Luke shows up and interrupts Kylo before he was about to kill Rey and Fin. Then beats him and Kylo escapes, that would follow the story in Episode 4 better that Luke was no match for Vadar no matter how lucky he was. Then Luke would tell Rey that she needs training and that he felt the force in her and that he can unleash her new found powers.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:55 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,621,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
As for Phasma's non-use, I wish she was used more but we did have a lot of characters to introduce and developed who were much more integral to the story than she was.
It would've taken no more time away from the story to make Phasma be the one who goes mano-to-mano with Finn. Then people would've had some real "grrl-power" on display to rave about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
My tweak for the film would be towards the end, that Luke shows up and interrupts Kylo before he was about to kill Rey and Fin.
What's funny is that that's what I predicted (incorrectly) would happen as I was watching the movie. It would've given the third act the final real oomph it needed, the one people were waiting for. They had a surplus of callbacks already — throw in one more!

Old 12-21-2015, 07:11 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
My tweak for the film would be towards the end, that Luke shows up and interrupts Kylo before he was about to kill Rey and Fin. Then beats him and Kylo escapes, that would follow the story in Episode 4 better that Luke was no match for Vadar no matter how lucky he was. Then Luke would tell Rey that she needs training and that he felt the force in her and that he can unleash her new found powers.
I liked not seeing Luke until the end. I would have preferred that out of nowhere she heard Luke's voice telling her to center herself and find the Force instead of her just reacting to Ren mentioning the Force. That would have made her suddenly beating Ren make more sense.

They also should have called more attention to the fact that Ren was still training and that he was badly hurt. It sort of seemed like a flesh wound. LOL

Old 12-21-2015, 07:31 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Droid evading capture lost on desert planet finds orphan who gets unwilling assistance to deliver intel stored in aforementioned droid to band of rebels and then they blow up a giant ball planet spaceship with giant planet destroying super gun...

Add sprinkle of father-son angst.

Anyone else heard this story before?

Old 12-21-2015, 07:46 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Droid evading capture lost on desert planet finds orphan who gets unwilling assistance to deliver intel stored in aforementioned droid to band of rebels and then they blow up a giant ball planet spaceship with giant planet destroying super gun...

Add sprinkle of father-son angst.

Anyone else heard this story before?
Yes but this version still felt fresh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies