Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2015, 02:04 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,669,172 times

Advertisements

They shouldn't have really like stuck with the old on some namely like part of the story, designs, starships, costumes etc..

Could have made some of the things more sinister and imposing etc..

Last edited by owl6969; 12-23-2015 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 04:25 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,248,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
This article collects some criticism: Prepare yourself
Most of those criticisms are not very well thought out if you've watched the film properly, or more than once. There are a lot of explanations which are hinted at, or even given in a single line - I missed the part about Han scanning the Millennium Falcon first time round and it makes perfect sense. Ultimately though when we learn more about the story and characters in Ep8, I'm sure a lot of the nitpicking aimed at this film will disappear just like Luke Skywalker

Old 12-23-2015, 04:52 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,621,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
I missed the part about Han scanning the Millennium Falcon first time round and it makes perfect sense.
I've seen it once, but even then I didn't think there was nearly enough exposition to clarify why the hell Han has missed the Falcon for so long, with the kinds of mapping and starship tech on display — or why the hell he let it go in the first place. It seemed really out of character.

While I enjoyed the movie, I don't find myself disagreeing with a lot of the criticisms being leveled at it. Many things appeared to tailor to convenience. Or go ahead and call it coincidence. The story took quite the back seat to the VFX.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:05 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
This article collects some criticism: Prepare yourself
A lot of these criticisms are NOT warranted.
  1. Monoculture of Sci-Fi
    Anytime we see successful movies people claim this. We see disaster movies hit in the 1970's with say Earthquake we see more like The Posedian Adventure. We see slasher films in the late 1970's with Michael Myers hit, we see more with Leatherface, Jason Vorhees, Freddy Kruger, et. all. We see the X-Men be a hit, we see Spider-Man, Hulk, Daredevil and Fantastic Four get fast-tracked and proposals for Batman and Superman reboots. Hollywood always does this.
  2. The movie is unoriginal and a rehash.
    Has anyone seen the various reboots of horror films or books? I mean do you think the 2017 How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Illumination Entertainment will be THAT much different from Ron Howard's The Grinch? Probably in that it is animation vs. live-action but the central plot is the same. What about the sequels and reboots to say Halloween or Poltergiest, you can't tell me those weren't original.
  3. Dull Villains
    They must not have seen Kylo Ren's conflicted monolauges about being compelled to the lightside of the force. Vader never had that talk himself. Anakin did while on the lightside about leaning towards the darkside but once he went villain, he never had that. General Haux was a much more loud and boastful non-Sith leader than any of the ones from the original movies, even great ones like Gran Moff Tarkin.
  4. Emotional connections
    As I mentioned before while Kylo Ren was NOT in the same room as Han and Leia, you can feel the emotion in that based on non-beaten over your head subtext from a throwaway conversation about him AND the staredown when Han confronted Ben. I caught this on the first viewing.
  5. Blowing up the Star Killer
    J.J. Abrams explained this by stating he wanted kids to understand the story so he scripted it for kids. The first Star Wars (A New Hope) wasn't super complicated either. The only first Star Wars movie of a trilogy that was, was Phantom Menace and that was only one of its problems.
  6. Millennium Falcon
    Covered in another throwaway conversation that I caught the first time as well.
  7. Ren vs. Finn
    Finn learned the shock staffs and that is fairly similar to the lightsaber in holding. That said, Finn was 0-2 in his saber fights.
  8. Rey learning the Force fast.
    That is covered in when she touches the lightsaber. We don't know if she had a mind-wipe or not but she discovered the Force in that instance. Anakin never realized he had it until Qui-Gon told him he had it also. This time it was Maz Kanada who while not Force sensitive, knows the Force.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:29 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Most of those criticisms are not very well thought out if you've watched the film properly, or more than once. There are a lot of explanations which are hinted at, or even given in a single line - I missed the part about Han scanning the Millennium Falcon first time round and it makes perfect sense. Ultimately though when we learn more about the story and characters in Ep8, I'm sure a lot of the nitpicking aimed at this film will disappear just like Luke Skywalker
Not really. I think once the cloud of hype dissipates, it will be seen as nothing more than a tired, trite retread of no value to anyone but the fanboys. Look, just because it has x-wing fighters in it doesn't make it automatically good. It was just craptacular from beginning to end.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:52 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times
So friend and I just figured the whole next movie out. Here is our huge theory. Dark Plagues is on the old Sith Temple. Ren is returning to finish his training and lead a new order of Sith. Luke trains Rey. Finn is given a message via the Force to gather Jedi scattered across the Universe with Poe/Chewie in the Millennium Falcon. All the while Plasma is chasing them down. Throw in a few of the Bounty Hunters introduced in this movie. The gentleman from the start of the Force Awaken. Still not sure on Reys role though.

Flashback of Han Solo a funeral at the start.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:14 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Not really. I think once the cloud of hype dissipates, it will be seen as nothing more than a tired, trite retread of no value to anyone but the fanboys. Look, just because it has x-wing fighters in it doesn't make it automatically good. It was just craptacular from beginning to end.
Tell that to the critics and fans that have given it 95% and 92% on rotten tomatoes respectively. Is it prefect, No but my 5-stars for it isn't exactly off base... I don't think it will drop past 85% on fan rating when all is said and done. Mind you Man of Steel which also is similar film when it comes to criticism (though more vocal due to the destruction and the Superman kills controversy) is a 56% critic rating and a 74% fan rating on rt.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:36 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,621,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Is it prefect, No but my 5-stars for it isn't exactly off base...

Is that 5/5 or 5/10?

Old 12-23-2015, 06:42 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,603,432 times
I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I have a question. When the light saber calls to Rey she has some sort of flashback premonition issue. During that time she sees when her family leaves, when she and Kylo Ren meet in the woods, and another meeting where she and Kylo are in a burnt out background surrounded by dead bodies. Is that a spoiler for one of the other movies?

Old 12-23-2015, 07:08 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Tell that to the critics and fans that have given it 95% and 92% on rotten tomatoes respectively. Is it prefect, No but my 5-stars for it isn't exactly off base... I don't think it will drop past 85% on fan rating when all is said and done. Mind you Man of Steel which also is similar film when it comes to criticism (though more vocal due to the destruction and the Superman kills controversy) is a 56% critic rating and a 74% fan rating on rt.
Anybody can buy into the hype. But when you realize that they trotted out the freaking death star a THIRD time, that just tells me what an addled crowd the fans of this saga are. They'll watch anything as long as there's an x-wing fighter in the shot, even if it were obviously dangled on-screen using dental floss.

Let's see....robot being chased by the bad guys for a crucial piece of data...check...wandering through a desert planet...check...youngster who cultivates the force...check...planets blowing up...check...conflicted evil guy with Daddy issues running around in a mask...check. Yep, this is just about as unoriginal as it gets. A by-the-numbers money grab, a piece of hackwork, no matter how good the CGI is.

I mean, hell, they basically blew up the Death Star in an almost identical way. You'd think that, after the first two went kablooie, the Imperial engineers would have said, "You know, maybe we should redesign this thing so that some idiot in a glorified Piper Cub can't blow it to kingdom come with a lucky shot."

How do people just keep lapping this stuff up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies