Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 07:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That's so funny! I thought the same thing. Nope, that was Lupita Nyong'o.
Ah yes, Maz Kanada. She's my favorite bit character of the movie. Such a great, character that told you about characters just by looking at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 08:15 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,554,110 times
finally watched it last night and here's my take;
The comedy was a bit over the top at times.
How they destroyed the deathstar 2 was kinda blah
Other than that I enjoyed the movie.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:06 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,859,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Just came back after a vendor event at IPIC theaters. Can't beat that - breakfast, lounge chairs, and Star Wars. Love my work sometimes.

As for the movie..... Don't get me wrong, the action was good, the acting was good (relatively speaking), the dialog was... well, it was good compared to other Star Wars movies.

However, it seemed more like a TV reunion special. It's basically the same things from the first three (ep. IV, V, VI) rehashed. Finn and Rey sort of played this generations Han and Leia. You had the droid sidekick, a bar with various creatures and a band (albeit more reggae than jazz this time), an old "wise" one that provided insights to life and the force, and the plot of delivering a droid with a secret to the resistance... sound familiar? Then you basically just had cameos from 3PO and R2.

Vader was this evil badass. Kylo.. very much a weak wannabe. Almost comical. Looks like the nerd that got picked on in high school.

That being said, it's still light years better than I, II, and III.

Question - the Empire is defeated in Ep. VI. The Republic takes over. Then for unexplained reasons, you have this First Order that all of a sudden runs the place and the republic is again the small "rebels" or resistance. Really?
I saw the movie today, in 3D! I enjoyed the movie. However, Kylo was such a disappointment in the bad-ass department. I was also disappointed in the fact that his cross-guard lightsaber doesn't sound like a traditional lightsaber when swung.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:09 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,742 times
Default Loved the new characters!

Rae, Finn and Kylo. All excellent actors, really fun movie.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:16 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I saw the movie today, in 3D! I enjoyed the movie. However, Kylo was such a disappointment in the bad-ass department. I was also disappointed in the fact that his cross-guard lightsaber doesn't sound like a traditional lightsaber when swung.
The lightsaber and mask were his own creation because he was a wanna be. He admired his grandfather and wanted to measure up. He was a Knight of Ren, not a Sith Lord. I though he was perfect in the role -- impulsive, insecure, angry, jealous, fiery. The opposite of the other young dark sith-in-training. He is also the perfect foil for Rae in the next episode.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:27 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,393,786 times
I enjoyed it. We saw it twice already. Nice to see the vets return, and the new cast is great. Finn and Rey are wonderful in it.

I could pick it apart, but where is the joy in that. It was better than episodes I,II, and III. I loved that they built sets and visually it was stunning. The humor was a nice touch too.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:16 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,989,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
^^ you're a total fanboy 😖

Which is okay. But it's okay to criticize and point out the lousy parts. Even fans do it.

When my girlfriend totally burns the steak do I tell her she did an awesome job? Of course not if I want a better steak next time. I throw it in the dogs bowl and tell her she ruined it. Next time I'll have a perfect steak.
Because you'll be cooking it yourself since you'll no longer have a girlfriend.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:25 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Because you'll be cooking it yourself since you'll no longer have a girlfriend.
Yeah, all you have to do for a better film is just not see it. You aren't forced to buy tickets to it more than once or buy home releases.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Amen!

No, I remember thinking the same thing.
This forum has more speculation on the similarity of the characters.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsspe...severus_snape/

Rachel Welch not Raquel Welch

Rachel Welch (I) Miscellaneous Crew
2015 Star Wars: The Force Awakens (key first assistant accountant)
2013 Thor: The Dark World (first assistant accountant)
2012/I Prometheus (first assistant accountant)
2011 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (first assistant accountant)
2010 Robin Hood (first assistant accountant)
2010 Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (assistant accountant - uncredited)
2008 Inkheart (assistant accountant)
2008 Wanted (assistant accountant)
2008 10,000 BC (assistant accountant)
2007 Charlie Wilson's War (assistant accountant: Morocco - as Rachel Helen Welch)
2006 The Holiday (assistant accountant - uncredited)
2006 Children of Men (accounting assistant)
2006 The Da Vinci Code (assistant accountant - uncredited)
2005 Kinky Boots (accounts assistant)
2005 Pride & Prejudice (accounting assistant)
2004 Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (accounts assistant)
2004 Beyond the Sea (account assistant)
Yeah, I LOL'd when I read that too. Did you also catch "Sisko and Ebert" in this thread?

Old 12-30-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
The New Order built the large laser into an already existing planet so that's why it had forests, mountains, and an atmosphere.

I think the writers purposely made Kylo Ren a novice, Darth Vader wannabe. I think the point was that Kylo had not totally turned to the dark side and that he was not a well-established bad guy yet. Had he been experienced, he should have been able to control his anger. I assume Kylo is all his master has so that's why he still has a job.
My theory is that just before the starkiller planet was destroyed, Kylo was rescued by the First Order, but he is so badly injured by his fight with Rey and the violent upheavals of the planet around him that he needs to be fitted with a permanent breathing apparatus and mask. He will take the name of his honored grandfather. The next movie will start with him being told by Snope, "Arise, Lord Vader" as The Imperial March plays....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies