Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 11:33 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times

Advertisements

After the last three installments, my only requirements going into TFA was that the acting be passable, the pacing be good, and the story at a bare minimum follow a proven story arc/motif, i.e. the hero's journey.

On those criteria it succeeded so I enjoyed myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 11:49 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
finally watched it last night and here's my take;
The comedy was a bit over the top at times.
How they destroyed the deathstar 2 was kinda blah
Other than that I enjoyed the movie.
Death Star 3 lol. It was a tad redundant.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:52 PM

Snope looked like a giant Voldemort--I'm NOT a fan of the CG stuff. I thought the emperor was truly bad ass.
That Maz Kunata weirdo looked like ET.
Rey looks and sounds like Keira Knightley.

I wish they had used creative consulting from Lucas. Too many little rip offs here and there.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:03 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
After the last three installments, my only requirements going into TFA was that the acting be passable, the pacing be good, and the story at a bare minimum follow a proven story arc/motif, i.e. the hero's journey.

On those criteria it succeeded so I enjoyed myself.
Very low expectations there which anyone from film school can make one that pleases you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
The lightsaber and mask were his own creation because he was a wanna be. He admired his grandfather and wanted to measure up. He was a Knight of Ren, not a Sith Lord. I though he was perfect in the role -- impulsive, insecure, angry, jealous, fiery. The opposite of the other young dark sith-in-training. He is also the perfect foil for Rae in the next episode.
That Mind freeze and Pulling somebody up and holding them mid-air wasn't any easy Jedi tricks. Anakin could barely do it without losing focus when seeing Padme in a sexy outfit. Kylo was several levels above most young Padawans. He easily repelled all laser shots at him that required lots of practice that Luke couldn't perform in Episode 6.

I think in terms of skills, Kylo can easily out-match a young Obiwan from Episode 1. Obiwan didn't have enough Jedi powers to overcome Darth Maul other than his lucky strike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
My theory is that just before the starkiller planet was destroyed, Kylo was rescued by the First Order, but he is so badly injured by his fight with Rey and the violent upheavals of the planet around him that he needs to be fitted with a permanent breathing apparatus and mask. He will take the name of his honored grandfather. The next movie will start with him being told by Snope, "Arise, Lord Vader" as The Imperial March plays....
It's a given, no theory required. This movie is made for mass consumption. Too easy for the general population to understand. This isn't Game of Thrones where my parents still have trouble understanding many of the plots, twists, and events. What JJ Abrams did was make a really simple to understand and follow SW to win mass appeal. Was there any spot in the movie that surprised you? I was more surprised at how lame and predictably everything turned out to be with possibly the most predictable ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I saw the movie today, in 3D! I enjoyed the movie. However, Kylo was such a disappointment in the bad-ass department. I was also disappointed in the fact that his cross-guard lightsaber doesn't sound like a traditional lightsaber when swung.
Kylo managed to burn a hole in Fin's chest and Fin still managed to brush him off. How many people can take a 1st degree burn and still hold onto something? Light Sabers are the equivalent of a blow torch 4000 degrees because it can melt steel and Fin took a stab with no problems. Just a scrape. And people think that Kylo took an arrow from Chewy is a bigger deal?

Last edited by vision33r; 12-31-2015 at 01:29 AM..

Old 12-31-2015, 01:45 AM

What was with Kylo punching himself three times in his wound every now and then??

Old 12-31-2015, 05:56 AM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Death Star 3 lol. It was a tad redundant.
Han Solo seemed to think so. "Just blow it up."

Old 12-31-2015, 05:58 AM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Adam Driver needs to keep his facial hair. Seriously.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:49 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
What was with Kylo punching himself three times in his wound every now and then??
Some pump up I think.

After seeing it the third time, I must say that I do think it has a limited re-watchability especially within a week or so of the last viewing.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Han Solo seemed to think so. "Just blow it up."
Lol, exactly. "So it's bigger."

Old 12-31-2015, 09:55 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
They didn't even need a photon torpedo this time to hit the spot. The last time, they explain that you have to wait for the reactor opening then get a bullseye which is a very hard thing to do. It seems quite unbelieveable they can fly a bunch of X-wings inside and in that tight air space, fly loops and shoot normal lasers to blow up a huge reactor. The new Deathstar much be made of thin foil even without shield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies